xisto Community
brokebloke

What Do You Use C/c++ For? Develop software / games / on windows / mac / linux? Use QT?

What do you mostly develop or learning to?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

well even i've started learning c programming. Since for first time ever i'm learning some programming language, i'm finding it bit difficult! Yet i'm on stage writting programs like add two numbers lol.

i am still studying C++ cause i wanna master it much.look around present programming surroundings C#.net will be the most powerful programming language which will exceed delphi and java.so C/C++ is the very important we can study it to transit to .NET platform naturally.

My advice is that before you start programming a game in C or C++ not only should you be comfortable with DirectX or OpenGL, i would recommend learning some Lisp or Scheme just because it will improve your skill majorly since data and procedures are the same thing to it and there is no assignment so everything is done recursively. It actually is quite fun to program in since you have to be very abstract but to the point when writing for it. For an average function, they arent longer than like 4 or 5 lines no matter what. So try learning some of those just to touch some concepts that C/C++ are not very good at learning from.

Well, i am programming in C for about two years for now. I chose it because you can do a lot of low level programming. I mean you can have access to so many thing. I made a lot of programs in it. I have made a telephone directory too. I have uploaded the source code to the site too. It has a very good User interface. It can be opperated with scroll keys. I have also made a lot of other programs whihc include dos internal command changer, which is used to change internal commands of dos. What i do is open the dos file in binary mode, then search for the command with fseek and fread and finally change it with fwrite.My point by telling you all this is that C or C++ has a lot of power. You can do a lot of things which cant be done with VB or any other language. I mean you can even create an Operating System in C. C is the Best. Moreover it gives you direct access to Hardware and Ports. It is the Most Powerfull programming language around. I recommend all of you to learn C and C++ if you really wanna do something in system programming rather than application programming

I am currently learning C++ and QT, I'm just wondering how many of your guys develop for windows specifically for do you target mac and linux too, or are you developing games?Most important is the uptake of the .Net framework, just how many people are developing for it, is it really as big / important as everyone on the net suggests?Would love to hear everyones views!Im programing in C, making a sdl games for linux, its c because it can handle hardware devices i made and created drivers for it also accesing mysql databases from c...

I use C, C++, Java and VB extensively to build applications for windows. I use Dev C++ for C/C++ and Eclipse for Java. At present I am shifting from VB to VB.NET and VC++

I have learn C and C++ language program a year ago,and I will be wondering if I know what I can do from C and C++.I have come up to C and C++ because my school offer that to students and I have nothing to do in school,I have enough credits to graduate.So I decided to learn it.Now I think we can do a lot of things from knowing C or C++.We can create software,game and for now, I hope that I can write a game in future.Good luck for eveyone,I also hope you guys can create a great software in future.

I don't use C nor C++ because I can do what I want to do in C++ or C in FreeBASIC with half the effort while still managing to have a slim application. If I ever am making an operating system I might go to C again, but I'm an application programmer for now.

Well I am using it to write small codes or those codes that needs to be executed fast and quick for all the other purposes I am using more or less Java although I am now in the process of learning C# and Visual Basic and maybe even VJ# although that basics are more or less the same as within java it is just that graphical user interface is easier to mange and build up then in Java, eventhough Java is making big progress on graphical user interface itself.

I write embedded C++ software, so I don't care about any of the three. I usually have an RTOS that I program for - like vxWorks or QNX. I usually have to use Windows as my development platform and will sometimes use VC++ for that, but I prefer MultiEdit or any of a number of independent IDE's.-KTrimbach