xisto Community
lazyasada

Safari 4

I'm now using Safari at work and I must say that it works very fast (not a surprise since it's a QuadCore with 3Gb of memory :( ).It looks very neat, but there is one BIG problem... memory leaks. Somehow they can't seem to get rid of them and it has already caused other programs to crash (java based app that ran out of memory).Even tough it's good, I miss my Opera mouse gestures and I'll probably never switch to safari as my main browser.

The characters are messed up at the first time it's installed (I'm using japanese character). But it really fast, nice one. But I can't block ads, that's a problem. After few minutes, it already ate 290 mb of my memory.

I don't use Google chrome anymore, just for privacy reasons and alternative to Safari and Google chrome I'm using Chromium, also know as Iron browser I guess, which is a clone of Google chrome, just doesn't send any private information, the difference is that the form elements are a bit different in appearance, but it's the same webkit, you can get it here:

http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

I downloaded it but i don't really like safari, the main thing i did'nt like is how it handles tabs and the fact that i could'nt right click the back button to get a list of previously viewed sites and jump back several pages.

havent you noticed that firefox seems to so far be the most stable web browser. google chrome starts out fast and good after amonth or so the cheetah is hit with a DNA ray and turns into a snail. safari i never liked that is something i will not touch. opera is another good browser i just wish they could combine opera and firefox to make one super browser. operafox the new webbrowser faster than a frog strapped to a saturn 5 rocket.

i just wish they could combine opera and firefox to make one super browser. operafox the new webbrowser faster than a frog strapped to a saturn 5 rocket.

I think Opera is very good the way it is, operafox would just ruin Opera ;] am using Opera 10 and really am happy, in fact I am using it since Opera 7 and always was happy, even though some sites needed to be spoofed as IE. :D

To add something more about Safari 4, well, it seems that Safari is much "better" (more stable and faster) on Apple than on Windows Vista, didn't try it on XP though, but I tried Safari for windows more than only a year ago on XP.

Yes, as quatrux mentioned safari is good on apple. I tried it on macbook pro. It's performance is much better on apple than on windows. Just like IE performs well on windows but lags behind it's performance on apple. Nowadays IE even bad at performance on windows. I think they've to change a lot of things before making 9th version. Opera is good for many users. Almost replacing IE and firefox for some.But for me firefox is performing good. Though takes some memory but i use it for add-ons. I wish there could be firebug and downthem-all add-on for both safari and opera. That way i can get my work done on my friends computer as well.

In fact Opera 10 and I don't know if earlier versions had it, maybe not, but something like Firebug addon for Firefox exists natively on Opera, it's called Dragonfly which is used for the same thing as Firebug and as I know it's a top priority to make it even better by adding different features.

What is strange, it seems that IE8 also has this kind of tool, just never tried to use it nor do I use IE anyway..

Just found some information, it seems that: "Opera Dragonfly was introduced since Opera 9.5"

Here is ant interesting article, but it's posted in 2008 to round up web developer tools in three browsers: https://www.davidtan.org/web-developer-tools-roundup/

I just checked on opera blog page. Yes, there is support like firebug on opera. That tool is called as "Opera developer tool". You can check more information on this page. There is also firebug like functionality coming up for Internet explorer. Here is the news about this. There is also information for installing firebug with IE,Chrome and opera. Check this page.

The link to Opera developer tools, it's 2007 and remember Today it's almost 2010, some months left for 2010, it's an old post, I said for Opera you need to google search for Dragonfly as a lot of Opera users for development Today are happy using it and I didn't find anything that Firebug can do what Dragonfly can't do, even though I used Firebug more than Dragonfly, didn't need to do anything client side for some time now.

For opera browser I think this page would be at least not so old: http://www.opera.com/dragonfly/

I didn't noticed that it is old post. Thanks for pointing that out. I kinda posted that link to other forum as well. I just checked dragonfly. Looks similar to firebug. Check this screenshot, it almost resembles firebug. If this way more and more add-ons of firefox goes to opera. Then i have no trouble moving to it. I'll check if some of my other add-ons are available on opera as well or not.