xisto Community
yordan

Need A Free Iso Editor in order to add files to a CD iso

Editing ISO Files with freewaresNeed A Free Iso Editor

Guys, I don't know if my post is of out of line, but this is regarding editing ISO or other image files. 

I use the freeware combo of  Burnaware_Free  + Free version of WinRAR/PowerISO.

1. Extract the iso image using WinRAR/PowerISO

2. Open Burnaware_Free selecet 'Make CD Image'

3. Add the extracted files and add/remove files and select 'Build'

4. Save- now u may also replace the existing image file. 

This is going to take 

1. Some disk space (temporarily)

2. A little extra time,

but then, both the apps are light and absolutely essential for other purposes. Home I make sense. 

-reply by Gowtham Muthukkumaran

There is too a freeware tool ISOBuster was free before it was payware!!!Need A Free Iso Editor

hey folks I am kinda tired of there being no more freeware alternatives to ISO editors this should be an included function of the OS IMHO they put all this crap in windows 7 for productivity well to be productive is to edit ISO's on the fly ain't it not ????This is Free Nation and windows 8 was my idea!

Until then well sink your teeth into this the last freeware version of ISOBuster!

-reply by Free Nation

ISO Needs to be extracted you can't edit it simply open winrar and press open find your iso file and it will turn into all of its original files :) Hope this helps so that way you can edit the files :D

No, this did not help.
I really needed to edit the iso file. I just wanted tu add things to a working iso file (giving a working bootable CD).
winiso or ultraiso do the job correctly. I just wondered if I could find a free software providing the same functionality.
Now if you read my answer some posts above this one, you will see that I switched to another solution, creating my iso file from scratch with mkisofs. Slithly harder job, but it allows you to know exactly what you do.

oh ok but if u extract iso's you can see all files within it...

I know that. However, I don't want to simply see the files, I want to add more files and edit some files (like Menu.txt). That's why I need to edit the iso, keeping all the other things unchanged, for instance the boot sector and the disk format.

Hi yordan...

I used before InfraRecorder to burn Linux Images as it suggested on some site.

I don't know if it will work for what you wanted to but just give it a try.

If I'm not mistaken, it's 100% free.

http://infrarecorder.org/
Thanks, I know InfraRecorder. I use it for burning Iso images.

What I want is modifying the iso (adding files) before burning, and this cannot be done with InfraRecorder.

I think there won't be a free program to do that. The task is hard since an ISO is a sector by sector copy for CD/DVD. I am also looking for such software 4 years ago and give up, my problem roots with my Debian and Fedora installers. I am very reluctant to download a full copy their DVD ISO and was hoping that I can just download the files that was updated and replace them inside the ISO.

Winrar can modify the ISO by removing files from it and adding new ones but this DAMAGE the boot sector most of the time. And new release of winrar that can do that was no longer FREE.

I think there won't be a free program to do that. The task is hard since an ISO is a sector by sector copy for CD/DVD.

I hope that you are wrong. That's why I still leave this thread open.Now I slightly changed my mind. I use mkisofs in order to create my iso file.
I keep everything somewher in a folder. And each time I want to change something I re-create the iso file.
It's not exactly what I wanted, and I still hope that I will soon be able to directly insert/remove from the iso file without breaking the boot sector.
And, of course, the amount of work this would save me, is not worth the price of a commercial iso editor program. That's why I continue re-creating the iso file from scratch, hoping a free editor will come soon. :)

ULTRA ISO is best in this categories. but its not a freeware you are looking about. I have the paid license key for ultraISO, and i love to give you. Through ultraISO we can fully edit (even boot file) of any DVD/CD or any ISO file. Through this we can also make ISO file directly from CD/DVD drive. and the best part is we also can mount ISO file with virtual CD/DVD drive. If anyone want free key then PM me.

ULTRA ISO is best in this categories. but its not a freeware you are looking about. I have the paid license key for ultraISO, and i love to give you. Through ultraISO we can fully edit (even boot file) of any DVD/CD or any ISO file. Through this we can also make ISO file directly from CD/DVD drive. and the best part is we also can mount ISO file with virtual CD/DVD drive. If anyone want free key then PM me.

Precisely, this was the aim of my topic starter post. I was looking for a free software providing the same facilites, and I did not find it. No real way for modifying a given iso file, finally I create the iso file from scratch, creating a new one each time I want to add something.