xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Final)arkJon

2 Operating Sysems

Partition (or whatever you do) to make it so you can have two operating systems on the same computer, and so that you can choose which one to use at startup?I saw this at a friends house, and I'd like to do the same..

yup, it's called "DUAL-BOOT" system that is located (ideally) in separate partitions. which OS do you like to "dual-boot" with anyway? i did a dual boot with win98se and win2k before. google "dual-boot" and you can come up with several tutorials on these and other OSs. :)

I don't know what OS you are going to use but I guess Windows and Linux. If that is the situation you'll only have to install Windows first and then Linux (any distribution). After Linux is installed it installs (sorry) LILO (old) or Grub (newer). It detectes the other OS (Windows) so the next time you boot you'll be able to choose the OS you want.If you are planning to install 2 Windows OS (Windows Xp and Windows 98 for example) first install Windows 98 (the older one) and then Windows Xp (the newer one).Hope I've helped...

IMPORTANT: I really not recomend you that you install Windows and Linux on the same HDD one simeple reason, they cause conflicts, and it will cause both OS's to run unstable. It kinda complicated, but it happens. I just dont recomend it. If i was you, and wrere to install Linux and Widnows i would have two HDD and that would work perfectly for your system

IMPORTANT: I really not recomend you that you install Windows and Linux on the same HDD one simeple reason, they cause conflicts, and it will cause both OS's to run unstable.  It kinda complicated, but it happens.  I just dont recomend it.  If i was you, and wrere to install Linux and Widnows i would have two HDD and that would work perfectly for your system

67665[/snapback]

I have two linux and a XP OS in the same HDD and i have never had any problem.

Well, it really isnt recomended, i have been told by numerous people that know what they are talking about. Im not saying that you really shouldnt, ive never done it my self, but i do have two HDD's on my pc with linux on one and XP on the other one.

windows 98 is good for gaming. and XP is good for security and stability. i hate the 2000 and millenium versions, so i won't get into that. but if you're going to install multiple OS's on one computer, the base partition for 9x systems needs to be FAT32. the others can be NTFS, or you can do all FAT32. just the 9x system won't read the NTFS partitions. install 98 on C:, and then XP on D: or wherever else you want. don't put multiple OS on the same partition, don't install a later version first. start with your earliest version and work your way up. theoretically you can have 95, 98, 2000, ME, XP home, XP pro all on the same computer, in different partitions. though you wouldn't want to install all those. i would have put both 98 and XP on mine, but i ran into problems with my laptop drive. a Toshiba 80 GB. even the technincians couldn't get it to run both systems. all other drives worked fine.

Dual booting works well but if you do not know what you are doing it is kinda risky. You can easily screw up files on the OS the is current install esp. with XP. I'd recommend gettign an external harddrive if your computer's bios support USB booting. If so, install Linux (i am assuming this would be the second OS) on USB and just do some searching to figure out how to get it to boot. In short, you just have to make a new initrd file so that the USB modules are loaded before the kernel....It isnt too hard once you figure that out. That is my advice and that is exactly what i do. If you need help let me know

IMPORTANT: I really not recomend you that you install Windows and Linux on the same HDD one simeple reason, they cause conflicts, and it will cause both OS's to run unstable.  It kinda complicated, but it happens.  I just dont recomend it.  If i was you, and wrere to install Linux and Widnows i would have two HDD and that would work perfectly for your system

67665[/snapback]

I really wish I knew this before i got everysingle one of my files on my windows partition unaccesable and my Linux Partition deleted. :o After that i couldn't even reinstall any of the OS's because LInux destroyed my HARDRIVE!!! :D:D:D ARGH!!!

I really wish I knew this before i got everysingle one of my files on my windows partition unaccesable and my Linux Partition deleted. :o  After that i couldn't even reinstall any of the OS's because LInux destroyed my HARDRIVE!!! :D  :D  :D  ARGH!!!

130649[/snapback]

I don't think it destroyed your hard drive. You probably only need to re-partition it. If you don't know much about partitioning try getting a program like PartitionMagic. It also comes with an app called BootMagic which can help people to install dual boot systems.

I have Red Hat Linux and Windows XP on my system, with two hard drives, and I don't use my Red Hat, but it works fine. I'd suggest going to some linux/mac/"whatever os you're trying to install" forums and asking around for some tips on setting up your dual-boot.My advice is just, DON'T TRY IT YOURSELF if you don't know what you're doing first, It will make life very very difficult for you.EDIT - Oh yeah, like zippy said, PartitionMagic is your friend. ^-^

Edited by Johnny (see edit history)

I wouldnt recommend having two operating systems on the same hard drive, just in case it causes conflicts. If you have it on two different hard drives, then it should be okay. I had my hard drive screw up its partitions before by having windows and linux on the same hard drive, mainly because linux likes to use partitions.