xisto Community
toby

What Desktop Should I Get? (probably Mac)

I need a new computer, this is old and Windows and Ubuntu are both going slightly mad.I would enjoy Apple more than those two, but I'd probably still want Ubuntu on whatever I end up with as well.As I see, my options are either buy a Mac, build something for OSX, or build something for Windows. Of the first option, it's between the Mini and iMac. The Mini has integrated graphics, which I have now and I am literally half pleased, half pissed with, though I do not know if this is my old graphics or all integrated graphics. The iMac includes a screen which I don't need. It also doesn't let me choose the graphics, card, it is fixed going up with the moniter sizes and steep prices.I havn't built a computer before, and I don't mind spending an extra £100 to have it built, and the Apple 'tax' of similar value.If anything doesn't make sense, please point it out.

You partly answered you question. If you want to be able to choose your hardware, you need a desktop.If you love mac-OS, you have to choose a mac.If you want the minimum hardware in order to run Linux, then a PC is the best solution.And of course, if graphics is important, you have to go to the Ubuntu site and see which graphic adapters (and which graphic displays) are correctly supported by the Ubuntu version you want to use.When you buy a ready-made PC in a shop, with Windows installed, the guy who installed your computer took all the risks, and if you are not satisfied with this thing you bring it back to the shop and you say that you want your money back. This has a cost, you pay your Windows copy in order to have a supported OS and you pay the guy who installed it and checked that it works correctly.If you do everything by yourself, if you build your own computer, you take all the risks. If you choose a free version of Linux as your operating system, the risk is that your hardware is not supported. If you choose carefully your hardware, you can even buy incompatible hardware (too many disks for the power supply you install, graphic card incompatible with the physical slots in your system, or too many heat dispersion for the fans you bought, or efficient fans being far too noisy for your wife trying to work on the table next to you).Unfortunately, your topic title says "probably Mac", so most of hardware geeks around here will skip your topic, and they will not tell you how to correctly choose the components in order to build your PC ! :rolleyes:

Can't remove it now, but I was hoping it'll get me some views on my problems with either Mac desktops.Risk and so on doesn't mean much, even building for OSX is easy, all you need is sse3. Ubuntu will run on anything, and Windows will run on x86 and bootcamp.

The one of the few things that I dislike about Macs, is that they make a new OS every year or two. At a couple hundred dollars a piece, it is really expensive. Right now I'm running 10.2, because the firmware can't be updated anymore.Mac is always the best for virus protection though.The best thing for you is probably to get a PC and to emulate OS X on it, since you want to choose your graphics card. I have seen it done, but it takes some brains to do it!

The first thing you have to wonder is whether you realy want MacOS, if yes then you have no choise but buying something from Apple because you can't 'build' a desktop for MacOS (basicaly you can, but it's trikcy and support is minimal).

If you don't need MacOS then you'll have to option between building it yourself or buying a OEM one. Personaly I'd build it myself, because this way I can configure even the smalles component. If you have absolutely no experience with hardware then you'd better buy a preconfigured one.

An important thing to remember is that you first need to know what you're going to use it for, you don't need a 2,4Ghz, 4Gb, SLI setup if you'll only use it for office :rolleyes: .

Hopes this helps a bit

Somewhere between mini and iMac, with no dependancy on any programs.Thanks, I know now to buy from Apple, and there are no major issues with their desktops.

Also if you are still undecided. Think about what you currently do computing for (PC/Mac), what programs you like to use, and eventually what you want to use; and also, for some people what kind of entertainment you'd like out of it. Then set a price range $1,000, $2,000, or +$2,000. Now you kind a have an idea. Start looking for bargins, specials, clearances, or other online stores that quickly turn over their inventory. Then pick one that meets your needs.Also another side note. You could also look for a laptop with comparible features to a desktop. You might have 1/2 to 1/4 of the processing power as a desktop but at least you'll have portablility and really don't have to worry about power issues (blackouts, dirty power, etc.). If your requirements are not that bad then you could look for new thin-compact laptops which are not as robust as laptops but are built for compactness, battery life, and wireless connectivity. :rolleyes:

Whenever someone debates between an iMac and a Mac mini I usually try to steer them towards an iMac. A mac mini is useful under certain cases, but for about the price of a display and keyboard, extra you get a gorgeous and powerful all-in-one computer. The fact that the iMac has a dedicated GPU is reason enough for me to buy one over a mac mini. Unless the only thing you plan to be using your computer for is internet and reading email I'd recommend the iMac. Besides, if you already have a second display, you can run it as a dual display with your iMac. Screen real estate is quite important. I run dual displays, and at first I never thought I'd use my second display, but many times I put windows such as download progress bars... etc... that I want to monitor while using my primary display.Anyway, back on topic. Even though neither the iMac or the Mac Mini will allow you to upgrade your hard drive very easily, you can upgrade your ram on the iMac with very minimal effort.

The iMac is sort of a mid-ranage to lower high-range desktop computer, which sort of makes the Mac Mini look underpowered. I suggest that you purchase an iMac, for a more streamline Mac desktop computer, if you intend to use graphic intensive applications such as Adobe Photoshop.Personally, I feel the Mac mini is rather underpowered compared with the rest of the Mac range of products and is unlikely to run well from you are running CPU or graphics-intensive applications.

Psystar make computers capable of running Mac, but with an ongoing lawsuit, and a 'hack' by psystars servers needed for OSX updates, I really don't know if I should consider them. At least theirs I can buy something like iMac without the screen.

A number of factors determine the choice that you can make:- Training; can you use MAC os and software? although you can run Windows software; MACS work optimally when using their own (superior) software. Otherwise there is no point in going for a MAC.- Compatibility; if you are going to use MAC software then you need to know will it be compatible with any existing applications and users that you connect with?- Price; A mac is nearly twice as expensive as a PC equivalent.Even though i use PCs and Microsofts (inferior) software, I would choose a MAC; because the software, system and applications are ten times faster, efficient, easy to use, and feature rich than Microsoft. The actual systems are user friendly and also look so UBER.