xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Merovingian

Google Chrome New google web browser

I read somewhere that that EULA for Chrome basically states that Google can monitor every thing do and everywhere you go with it and can do whatever they want with that information. I think I'll pass.

I was going to say that I don't have a problem with it installed on XP, but now that I double checked a previous post, I do see that it did say that XP and Vista both support Google Chrome. I am still very slow to demonstrate the new browser, but I did however finally install and I ran it a little. I will at some point link it to my Dreamweaver, and see if it is compatible.Oddly enough, I was about to say I don't do much with newer browsers. I don't really like using Safari, but ironically, I am using it right now! Our Macs here at work all have Safari. So I really don't mind using newer browsers as long as they work well with me.

Darasen, could you please quote that fragment? It seems unlikely that nobody noticed that before, with so many privacy concerns regarding Google and it's software. Perhaps you're referring to this issue?

When it comes to me, my main problem with (my currently favourite) Firefox was poor handling of many tabs at the same time. I don't really care whether it's due to Gecko or poor memory management but I don't believe that even 80 tabs open should create such a memory demand (sometime even up to 50% of my 2GB RAM, depending on the complexity of the webpages displayes). Chome is definitely a beta, especially with such security bugs/design flaws like secure browsing being cached. But the idea seems extremely tempting, something that Firefox is slowly drifting away from - a quick and small minimalistic browser. My library of FF plug-ins I got used to so much will be hard to forget, but excellent memory management and webkit's speed available on Windows apart from Safari (sorry, I don't like Apple and try to avoid their products) will definitely be a good argument.

Another interesting point about Chrome is where it will end up in the great browser war. Contrary to the popular belief (amongst others supported by numerous articles on tgdaily.com) I believe that it will eventually hurt Firefox pretty badly. As long as IE is offered with Windows and it is the OS installed on most computers, Microsoft will hold its trenches quite well - majority of casual users just can't be bothered to try different browser unless those bring some serious change to the functionality of the webpages people use. Even though Mozilla secured Google's funding for the moment, Google itself has relatively much more resources of all kinds at its disposal. Even with unchanged funding of Firefox, as a safety measure against Chrome failure, Google can successfully push Chrome to the level FF achieved after years of experience and make its own browser surpass FF pretty quickly right after that.

Firefox supremacy relied on it being a comprehensive and completely open alternative to IE, with other competitors on the market, with the same or even better logistical abilities and the same open-minded approach, FF may be in trouble pretty fast. Chrome managed to gain 1% of the market share right on the first day of its beta release. It's not really hard to imagine that soon (after Chrome hits v1.0) a huge community will gather around it, recreating all the functionality that we would otherwise miss after FF.

What I'm really interested are the privacy concerns. What do you guys think? Any articles about monitoring Chrome behaviour when it comes to sending data home?

I was going to say that I don't have a problem with it installed on XP, but now that I double checked a previous post, I do see that it did say that XP and Vista both support Google Chrome. I am still very slow to demonstrate the new browser, but I did however finally install and I ran it a little. I will at some point link it to my Dreamweaver, and see if it is compatible.
Oddly enough, I was about to say I don't do much with newer browsers. I don't really like using Safari, but ironically, I am using it right now! Our Macs here at work all have Safari. So I really don't mind using newer browsers as long as they work well with me.

Well, you have to remember that Safari is bundled on every Mac like how Internet Explorer is bundled on every Windows machine. It's just how Apple and Microsoft dig their feet into the browser market.

Google Chrome is related to Safari in the fact that both run the same rendering engine, known as WebKit which descended from KHTML (HTML renderer) and KJS (JavaScript Interpreter). However, Google Chrome is different in the fact that it doesn't use WebKit's JavaScript interpreter and has its own called V8 which render JavaScripts like crazy.

xboxrulz

well besides the obvious bugs, privacy/security issues, memory eating, ugly interface it is fast I will give it that, however, chrome has a long way to before it will be any serious threat, which I doubt.

For those interested I had made a few topics about chrome on trap that should interest people

http://forums.xisto.com/index.php?act&pid=406456

http://forums.xisto.com/index.php?act&pid=406466

I still can't get it to initialize the installer. I don't think Google web browser supports my computer or something. I have Windows XP but it has non-defaulted services (which I think might be the problem). Does anyone know what service(s) need to be running to get it to download? I have also had similar problems with automatic updating virus scanners in the past. I have also have had similar problems being connected to from other networked computers (I can connect to them just fine but they can’t connect to me). Would these things indicate maybe a messed up windows setting? I do have a firewall but it is on my router and not on my computer (I wouldn't think that would get in the way, it doesn't do anything like that for other computers on my network). I am a system administrator and network administrator. Sorry for being a little off topic, but I really want to try out Google's web browser and get my XP back to normal.Thanks,Sparkx

Iâll give it a try but you can't tell much with 10 minutes of messing around. I am looking for a long term browser not just a small thing that doesn't even load JavaScript. I use Opera and I like its features and speed, but I am always up for trying new things. The download was extremely fast but the installer has been initializing for a few minutes now... The screenshots look good and the very small size just adds to it.
I just wish the installer would load already lol...

Using Windows XP (Thatâs probably the problem)

From what you have seen would you say it is better then Opera or should I just stick with what works?
Sparkx

I am loving it so far. I have been using it for a week and I have already gotten rid of Firefox.

Anyone else tried Google Chrome (beta)?I tried it, and from a surfers point of view, it seems quick, responsive and well worth trying.It is open source, so hopefully there are none of those Google tracking issues.As yet, there are no extra features or add-ons, but with it being open source, it is possible.I don't play online games, so can't vouch for it's effectiveness in that field.

Hi,
You posted this topic in the "tutorials" section of our forums.
It seems that you missed the first specification for the topics in this section, see here http://forums.xisto.com/topic/6-forum/ :

1. The Tutorials have to be of a bare minimum length of 500 words to be accepted.

That's why I moved your topic here, where is most probably it's place.By the way, maybe you should have a look here : http://forums.xisto.com/topic/96022-topic/?findpost=1064393296
Regards
Yordan
Edited by yordan (see edit history)

I have given Chrome a (very) brief test run and so far I like it. It's light weight, open source, responsive and fast. Obviously it seems to be lacking some of the 'heavier' option sets that firefox and potentially IE has as standards now but that isn't the point of chrome so it seems it has done the job well for what it set out to do. I'll be using it a lot over the next few days so will hopefully have a more in depth look in the near future.

sparkx is the installer not downloading at all or just not starting after the download? Mine claimed it would download and then install automatically. It DID download but then just died, but since I had the installer a simple double click started the process back up and I was on my way. The install went smoothly after that (note: I am running on vista on this machine, will try again at home with xp when I get there to see if there is a difference)

hmm.. I am also using XP, and It worked for me..I am not 100% sure.. but before I had service pack 3 (after it came out), I couldn't install things.. I was running service pack 2.. I don't know if you are using service pack 2 or 3.. but if you are using 2, maybe you should try updating to 3.