xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Merovingian

Google Chrome New google web browser

I see nothing.
about:internets give me a tab saying "The tubes are clogged"
about:internet just stays as "New Tab"

xboxrulz

Then you aren't fast enough ;) . about:internet gives "Don't clogg the tubes" and then quickly changes to "New Tab"

As a follow-up review, I should start off by saying I really REALLY like chrome. A lot. I didn';t expect to especially at first glance at the interface's original aspects but they quickly won me over. First I'll start with a few negatives. The lack of extensions, skins, etc is a bit rough since I am so used to firefox. That said I think both are expected by the final release. A lot of main features were lost in this beta due to it being leaked before they wanted to release it, so that is fully understandable. Next we have that it doesn't offer to save tabs after closing (as far as I can tell). Another minor gripe that I would be surprised if they didn't change by the next release so again, no real worry.Thats it haha. So far those are my only complaints and they both seem like they'll be gone eventually anyways. Past that the browser is light, fast, responsive, and very well designed. The minimalist layout is superb and the minor tweaks they made to things we take for granted are welcome changes to the browser domain. I recommend everyone at least try this browser out as its worth having on your system regardless. I have yet to hit a page that is displayed improperly and haven't had a single tab crash, let alone the browser. The only 'error' I've had is that upon logging into an old hotmail account it wasn't recognized by the site as capable of displaying it's latest gui so had to use the older layout. But for that I just blame Microsoft;) Go download it!

AnnouncementThe release announcement was originally scheduled for 3 September 2008, and a comic by Scott McCloud was to be sent to journalists and bloggers explaining the features of and motivations for the new browser.[8]Copies intended for Europe were shipped early and German blogger Philipp Lenssen of Google Blogoscoped[9] made a scanned copy of the 38-page comic available on his website after receiving it on 1 September 2008.[10] Google subsequently made the comic available on Google Books and their site[11] and mentioned it on its official blog along with an explanation for the early release

Edited by yordan
Quoted the text copied from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome (see edit history)

I think that the lack of customizability is just the by-product of the fact that the software is still beta. However, I too, would love some customization with the browser. Something that Mozilla Firefox excels at. Furthermore, I still think the second issue with Chrome is that the WebKit engine it is using is still outdated. Plus, V8 has problems with Facebook so, it's not going too hot for me at the moment.xboxrulz

actually, I never expected it to be this good. I've been using it for a week, and it only crashed once.. probably because my computer isn't the best.. I just love the simple design.. but I wish there was a way to change the colors ;)

And.. I was surprised, when I saw how fast it was. my computer isn't the best, but still it loads most pages faster than IE and sometimes faster than FireFox.

I like it, because it don't take too much space on the screen. And because you can drag the tabs, and "make them into windows, instead of tabs". The only thing that I find "hard" is finding in the menus.. still don't know what I can find, and where I can find it ;) I know there are some to the right.. but are those the only ones, or is there something else, that's hidden?

Another thing.. this maybe isn't the worlds end.. But I don't like that there is no "stop" button.. and if there is.. I don't like that it is hidden.. if it have to.. It would be better if it could be replaced with the update button when a page is loading.

And.. The spell correction thingy.. This whole page is red, because it corrects swedish.. not english.. no idea how to change it =/

I have since merged Google Chrome topics together.

haha :P that's good :P threads have been popping up all over the forums lately (a) :P

http://www.altafsayani.com/2008/09/03/down-chrome-themes/
Chrome themes ;) They are pretty basic, and have to overwrite the original, and probably will break when it updates... but it gets the job done hahaha.

Another feature I love is the 'inspect this element" in the right click menu. I haven't found an actual use for it yet, but its cool haha.

I was about to say that I have installed and now used Google Chrome, but was about to say there was nothing that stood out. I guess it is good to know that there was not a problem loading and running Chrome, unlike I have notice slow process and locking up from Internet Explorer.I was also about to say that it seems to fit the profile of the tabbing system like Firefox, but it really doesn't need to have so many toolbars and actions like Internet Explorer. I use Apple Safari at work on our Macs... It is not horrible, but it basically began to slow down to almost no usage. I have not noticed that with Google Chrome.I have worked on my website and have previewed my new changes in Internet Explorer, and then Mozilla Firefox... Those are the defaults I have been using... Then I checked Safari and then Chrome... I liked that each of them have cool similarities, but then each have their differences...So it seems like Chrome stands up well with the other browsers... But I will still just have to see what else it is capable of... but so far, so good!- skedad -

I was about to say that I have installed and now used Google Chrome, but was about to say there was nothing that stood out. I guess it is good to know that there was not a problem loading and running Chrome, unlike I have notice slow process and locking up from Internet Explorer.
I was also about to say that it seems to fit the profile of the tabbing system like Firefox, but it really doesn't need to have so many toolbars and actions like Internet Explorer.

I use Apple Safari at work on our Macs... It is not horrible, but it basically began to slow down to almost no usage. I have not noticed that with Google Chrome.

I have worked on my website and have previewed my new changes in Internet Explorer, and then Mozilla Firefox... Those are the defaults I have been using... Then I checked Safari and then Chrome... I liked that each of them have cool similarities, but then each have their differences...

So it seems like Chrome stands up well with the other browsers... But I will still just have to see what else it is capable of... but so far, so good!

- skedad -

It's interesting that you say that Safari slowed down on you. Try to reset the browser. Also, note that Google Chrome uses the EXACT same engine Safari does.

I'm just waiting until they released a Mac and Linux version of the browser. Also, I'm waiting until they release the final version as well.

xboxrulz

Im not a very professional when it comes to how nice one's engine does but one thing I don't like about Chrome beta is that i crashes a lot. Especially with flash oriented sites. A lot of site also does not render well, I do hope that this would not be like this on its future release. Usually when I view youtube and yahoomail, everything crashes like hell. I switched back to firefox as soon as possible, who needs speed with comfort. Probably when its ready. I love the interface though. neat and clean. Sad thing it that it depends on Windows Internet Connection Settings.Im using Chrome Beta on WinXP SP2

That is very strange. I think I've had a single crash since I started using chrome, and I usually have about 20 tabs open with various sites using a wide range of technologies. Youtube and yahoo mail both have worked flawlessly for me. The only issue I've seen so far is a few other video sites the movies didn't load properly on first try, but none caused crashes of tabs or the browser. Also I use it all day at work and at home, on vista and xp, so it isn't likely an issue with the OS. I'm not sure if I'm super lucky or your system may be causing other problems, but don't assume chrome is THAT glitchy quite yet. Frankly its way more solid than I expected given its early status.