xisto Community
Animator

Astahost Is Dead Still trying to contact Admin

Dear Xisto...

I voted for you. Out of all the other candidates, I said "Xisto is the smartest. I'll put them in charge of my website. They hold lots of promise."

But since then, Xisto, you've broken your election promise.

Yes. Broken. Remember when you said...

Unlike our competitors, WE DO NOT :-

5> Take long time to approve accounts.

Well, I've been waiting for longer than a week now to get my account activated. Unlike other members, I read the rulebook. I contributed to have 30 credits well in advance (I have something over over eighty posts now) and yet still... I am here... waiting.

I sent a PM to your support team. Days have passed. No reply. I have never seen an Admin in the shoutbox either.

I tried to send a request on the hosted-support forum... I'm locked out because my site is not yet active (total genius that rule, doncha think? :mellow: )

I made a help request on your other neighbouring forum (Xisto) and cooled off for a walk.

...by the time I got back home, my request had already been totally deleted... but no action had been taken. :D

As of yet, my request for site hosting just remains in the "not been taken seriously" new requests basket.

Guys... you said it would not take much time. You lied. I'm thinking I should start looking to other hosts. I was referred to you through Free-Webhosts. They said you promised web-heaven. I'm thinking to go back to them and write my own review and tell them that heaven doesn't exist.

Can you please let me know what's going on regarding the slow response to my hosting request?

Lancer.

P.S. Yes, this should go into the hosted support forum but again, until the site gets enabled, there's no way I can post there. After failing to get any response from admin PM, I figured this to be the next logical place.

I’m sorry you’re not getting a quick hosting, but it could take 2 weeks or more. Look at it this way. For the Admins and Moderators, Xisto is just a HOBBY. This is not their JOB. They work, they go on vacation, they have a life just like everyone else. They also post on the forum to keep the current members happy. The Admins get a few requests a day and are just getting a little behind (since it takes a while to add each account not to mention look through every post to make sure they don't host spammers). The Admins have a few Moderators to HELP them look through requests and separate the possible ones from the requests that are clearly from spammers, but the Admins still need to look through the posts of the possible accounts. So as you can see they could take a few weeks to get to your request especially if the Admins work full time. You have not been skipped so don't worry. Usually it takes longer to get a hosted response then it does a denied.So you may think this is too much of a hassle, but Xisto is by FAR the best free web host. You can ask almost any Hosted member and they will tell you the same. Xisto provides more bandwidth and space then they even advertise. The quality of hosting you get here is better then most paid hosts so just be patient and if you really cannot wait A: Start making your site on your own system with LAMP (Apache, MySQL, PHP)B: Join Xisto which has ads, less space and bandwidth, less uptime, but does have instant hosting without posting.Thanks,SparkxSide Note: I don't believe you can get support for Xisto at Xisto or visa versa.

Well, I understand you beginning to get impatient, as it is quite a while for 'fast' hosting, but, as Sparkx said, the Admins and Mods have lives outside of Xisto. I know that they don't necessarily have time to check the applications all the time. Just like us, they probably go on vacation and have real jobs. My application took about a week, not to long, but I was willing to wait. You should be happy they do it at all, as they certainly don't have to. Xisto gave me a chance to try out making a website (yes I'm a total newbie :mellow:) and even though I've had a few issues, they're very 'supportive'. If you can just be patient for a couple more days, you'll probably be given your site.Good luck.

I’m sorry you’re not getting a quick hosting, but it could take 2 weeks or more.

Thanks for that.

Everywhere I've searched in topics seemed until now to indicate it should happen in within 24 hours, although perhaps I'm confusing with Xisto? Feeling a little better after your reassurances, although I'm going to have to use http://www.formmail.com/ for the "contact details" part of my website. In about a week, I'm going to a mission critical conference for 3D Animators... work is very hard to come by here and I'll need to flash a business card around with a website they can make contact with me on. Thus, I need the FormMail working at least by then.

Thanks again - I'll keep waiting for Xisto in the meantime as well, because reports from hosted members have been so good.
Edited by Lancer (see edit history)

As a Moderator of the Xisto Forums, I have seen Members arrange Hosting in a very short time frame, and also I have seen it take a week due to issues behind the publicly viewable scene (ie: Admins being away on Holidays, DB or script issues).Patience is required in these matters. Rest assured that the Hosting is worth the wait.

It's flat out loud admin's fault. Although there is no set frame period where an application should be approved, it would be nice new hosting requests are looked at sooner than later.I also appreciate those who understand moderators and administrators position and still support us even today. Without supporting members like yourselves we would not have Xisto.We will try to be diligent and constantly improve to serve free web hosting members.AstaHost staff :mellow:

Wo-hooo!!! Finally... and thanks!I'm sure hoping you have a half decent FormMail service, as that's why I came to Xisto... looks like you do! :D:mellow: Liking what I see so far... thanks for allowing me in.

You should have an abundant selection when it comes to webmail. Right now horde, Squirrel Mail, and Round Cube are all available interfaces to your webmail. I too have to admit that Xisto has pissed me off in the past but it is still hard to beat the deal that they offer. First of all I get to post about what I enjoy talking about and second, the hosting options are very complete.

You should have an abundant selection when it comes to webmail. Right now horde, Squirrel Mail, and Round Cube are all available interfaces to your webmail. I too have to admit that Xisto has pissed me off in the past but it is still hard to beat the deal that they offer. First of all I get to post about what I enjoy talking about and second, the hosting options are very complete.

Cheers xboxrulz and tansqrx... it's not so much webmail I was after, but more FormMail which Xisto have as cgiemail.

Ironically, I have not yet been able to successfully use this feature. If you are of experience, then please help me out on the other thread I made for the new problem here: http://forums.xisto.com/topic/95923-topic/?findpost=1064392332

Thanks - Lancer.

Edited by Lancer (see edit history)

Applications take time to be processed, as Admins are not always available on the forum or forget to check the web hosting requests section. I remember when I applied it took around a week or more to have the application approved, so I could activate my hosting account, which didn't quite work the first few times due to server maintenance. Nevertheless, I am quite satisfied with Xisto's free web hosting and didn't mind waiting for my application and hosting account to be approved.