xisto Community
Miggi

Pc Does Not Boot

I have a Problem with my new Computer - It doesn´t boot.When i press the powerbutton its starting but not going on.the screen stays black.What can that be?

e.g. if you have two memory modules installed try using only one in the four different positions.if that doesn't work try borrowing a graphics card. those are the two problems i have had with computers 95 % of the time. but try to explain what happened more in detail... have you changed your hardware? have you moved your computer or no change?(edit: also try reset the bios, has worked for me sometimes)

Edited by MeanorDljato (see edit history)

Like everyone else has stated it would be best if you describe your problem more. What type of computer is it and any other events leading up to this point. With that aside let me give you a quick run down of what you can do. I will assume it is a desktop.• Take out (unhook) all non essential cards and parts. This includes sound cards, hard drives, and any other cards. Basically all you will be left with is the CPU, memory, motherboard, power supply, case, and keyboard. If this fixes your problem then add each removed component one at a time and reboot. This should show you where the problem is.• Almost every computer has diagnostic error codes when it comes to POST (the startup self test that every computer performs). Most of the time you will hear a series of beeps that are arranged as alternating long and short beeps. Write what you hear down such as long, short, short, short. Then go to the motherboard manufacture’s website and get the manual for that board. It might take some digging but you should find the codes. In my case I have an Asus motherboard and the preceding code means that there is a memory problem.• Not every computer uses sound. Also check for a series of lights on the back of the computer. Dell is very well known for using this and usually has four LEDs labeled as A, B, C, and D. A normal boot usually has all green LEDs. Anything else can be referenced on the manufacture’s website.• Reseat everything. A card or memory could have been bumped loose. For example take out the memory, clean it and the socket, and then reinstall it.• Clean everything with compressed air. This shouldn’t do anything at all but I have seen stranger things happen. Most people use the ESD safe compressed air cans from you local retailer. I find that they are very expensive and just use the air compressor in my garage. I’ve been using it for years and never had a problem yet.• If after all of this you still get nothing then it is most likely either the processor or the motherboard. Reseat the processor just to make sure.• It can also be the power supply. You can usually rule this out if the fans come on.• The last step is start replacing parts with known good ones. This is not always a possibility as not everyone keeps parts lying around like me. At this stage it might be best to just take it to a repair shop and get them to give you a free report if you don’t have the spare parts. I would suggest a local computer repair shop over someone like Best Buy as they will be more likely not to charge you an arm and a leg.I usually find that the first few steps ferret out the problem excluding a hardware failure. The first thing to do is absolutely get those error codes and go from there. Hope this helps and post again with what you find or need more help.

It is most likely the Ram or a problem with the motherboard. Try some new ram (doesn't have to be brand new) if this doesn't work try the same ram but switch around all the slots. I know it sounds stupid but it works, its the way my IT friend has fixed computers. Certain motherboards require a certain amount of ram. Its very few but they are out there that why change around the ram. If that doesn't work try swapping the video card with a different one. If it still doesn't work then you could try swaping the CPU. Do this at your own risk because if you put it in the wrong way and force it slightly you bend or break the pins. If that doesn't work it is probably a motherboard problem. There might be something shorting out theat is connected so first try to disconnect non essencial parts such as cd drives and stuff and try to boot it. If it still doesn't boot try testing you power supply on another computer. If that seems to be working fine it is probably a problem on the motherboard and possible a more critical one to do with other parts. You will have to get it checked by a comp. tech. Hope some of this works and helps.

i need help on a problem i have

Pc Does Not Boot

I have a laptop ,an hp notebook.When I open my computer evyrthing turns on but the screen stays black so I turn it of by holding the power for several sec !!so ,I do this until it turns on!!could someone tell me any solutions.Thanks

-question by nick

I have a Problem with my new Computer - It doesn´t boot.
When i press the powerbutton its starting but not going on.
the screen stays black.
What can that be?

I work with computers in my space time and I sometimes build some out of spare parts out of other computers, there are many things that can result in a black screen,
1. one or more of the memory mnoduals may be faulty and if you remove it the computer will reboot
2. your graphics card is shot and the computer is booting but you can't see it
3. some part that you may have added recently was installed incorectly
4. does the computer get realy hot??? my uncles computer got realy hot one day and the prossessor imploaded due to over heating, if so the mother board is shot
5. this happened to one of my computers and it just died, the motherboard was shot + buy a new computer

it would be helpful to know how old the computer it, what the name and model is, is it custom, is it a laptop, how much memory it has, physical condition, operating system type ect....

Hi,Please turn off the computer.Then, unplug all the ram and display.Power on the computer to see if it have some sound or noise produced.If so, you may try plugin the component back one-by-one.Sometime I experienced a similiar issues the computer won't boot.This may help to see if the computer's mother board work or not.

boot problem

Pc Does Not Boot

Hi.. M havin a new dxktop pc..With asus p5n-mx.. Duel core 2ghz.Nd 1.25gb ram with inbuielt gforce chipset...

So my problem is..After swetching on my pc the screen remains black...Nothin is goin on.. And after few mins its getin off... But I went to asus my board is ok.. Ram is also fine.. Nd I hav put my cpu into my friends board..Tht also fine.. Means all parts are fine..But after getin together its not runing... I have used it for 1 month.. Suddenly this problem came on...

Please tel me what to do...

-question by samrat

ADMIN SUGGESTION

=========================

Please check your Hard-drive.

drive is not open

Pc Does Not Boot

I request my problem is c,d,etc. Drive is not open before I am more try to ex.Antivirus update,scan but not virus show &system restore etc work.So Please. My problem to early

Regards

Niyaz mohammed

-reply by niyaz khan

I have edited my boot.Ini file on windows Xp home edition.The option selected was "safeboot-minimal". Now my cmputer is not booting. When started it asks for safe mode option, but it reaches till windows and again restarts. What can be done now?-reply by S Chaudhari

How can I cancel when I have already chosen it?

Pc Does Not Boot

I have an XP, and occasionally an error which mainly says that a Hardware or Software installation might have caused the error, but when you reset it, it goes running like normal again,but that's not the problem: because it said that I could delete the said soft/hardware when I go to boot menu by pressing F8, then I chose every single option to boot from, namely: Floppy, CD Drive, IDE-0, and Network. Something comes up on network, but then it just goes black like the rest of the options I chose. How can I cancel the boot, because I reset it but it still does the last action I selected--boot from the drives. Or if all comes to this: what is the easiest way for a noob to reformat a PC? I already have an XP CD to install from...Whew! Yeah that was long,hope you help.

-question by PSrules!