xisto Community
bhupinder

Blender Blender is way to confusing

I download Blender and thought it would be easy to make some Animations with it...Guess that wasn't true. Blender is so confusing. All i know it isn't for beginners. I had no clue what to do when i downloaded it. I couldn't make any figure or any thing. I deleted it i just wasted my time on it i got nothing done.. Does anyone know a good Animation maker??

ive been trying to work out blender lately. i just dont get how to use it. its like impossible to actually get anything on the screen.ive used 3ds max before and thats easy, except its like $3000 or something and at school they have an old version.

If you're just getting into 3d animation and modeling, Alias/Wavefront has a "student edition" of Maya that you can download for free and use however you like for personal, educational purposes. It watermarks your renders and everything, but the files are compatible with the full pro version, say if you need to give it to a prospective employer as part of your portfolio. The pro version can render it without the watermark.

pretty much any prog you use for 3d is going to be a bit confusing for the first-time user...i think when i first tried out maya, lightwave, 3ds max and such i was quite a bit thrown back by the vast number of functions, toolbars, and right click menus...usually the best way to start is to follow a few tutorials just to get yourself started... sometimes quickstarts help...obviously if it's free its not like you wasted any money buying something you don't understand... perhaps though if you want to dabble more professionally, i agree to try out maya or 3ds max, although i think even a temporary license for 3ds max is about $1000usd ...however, it's quite gratifying to be able to make your way through some of these programs, if you want to try out 3d modeling or animation, or even level design... however... there's quite a learning curve as you not only need to get the hang of keyframes, interpolation, 3d modeling, wrapping to a skeletal framework, not to mention physics and the like...my only tip would be not to expect much for a year or so... if it were that easy to create badass movies in 3d, we'd have plenty more to choose from... mostly, it's a lot of work... unless of course you have a team that can design models and terrains/levels... plus you usually want to design your own textures and so on...you might not go too wrong in getting one of those fat textbooks to hold while you get to know such a program, or at least printout a .pdf or help file...just remember, if it were that easy, it wouldn't be that revolutionary or interesting... take 2d platform games... now that they can be made by one person in about a week, they're not that impressive anymore...just a thought...

I had found a tutorial online showing how to convert a picture of a logo into a 3d image, and following that I can see how Blender can be confusing, but it is pretty cool once you figure stuff out. I got more into web development and haven't had a lot of time to working with 3d, but the program is free, and is definitely worth a look at because it seems to be able to do a lot of cool stuff once you figure out how to do it :)

Blender is a great program in my opinion, but not one that can be mastered overnight. I've used it in conjuntion with Maya2008 when gaining my 3D Diploma in Animation... very compatible when exporting meshes... I actually find Blenders modeling to be more efficient than Maya!

Hope it's not spam to point to other forums.

I would be glad to help out any beginner problems people have with Blender... alternatively, try the user forums at https://blenderartists.org/forum/

Why hannah ? why is that ? i mean there are many good movies and game characters are made with the blender. Why you don't want to use blender ? I mean in comparison to others paid software, it is industry quality software. I don't know what made you want to not download blender.

Well, maybe because Blender as a software is hard for newbies? Most of people wants the software to do all the job without any knowledge :DI'm not into graphics myself, so personally I was confused a t the start with it too, just played with it using some tutorials some years ago, but I quit, due to I'm more into programming. :P

In that case there is not a single software which is easy to use for newbies. All needs to start from some place. Maya and 3DMax are not so easy and there are many educational institutes are opened to teach people those software's. In that way, blender is much easy to use than commercial software's and of course it is free too.I didn't understand why he said he is don't want to download and install the software. I mean i'll blog about it let blender people know if there is learning curve issue for newbies.

I started off with blender and couldn't figure out a thing. But once I started looking at the tutorials for blender it became much easier. I thought I would be able to just work it out but now that I know it quite well I think it would have taken ages to. So just look at some tutorials online and learn the basics for any 3d program because it's difficult to figure out on your own. 

-reply by Mafiagenious

Blender's so called confusing interface is actually very customizable. I guess most people think that blender's interface is confusing because it doesn't look like other programs, with usual UI like edit, undo menus etc. This is actually a nice thing, I mean why would such menus like undo redo need to be included when they can just use shortcuts. The basics can be easily mastered by following some excellent tutorials available like this one. I really enjoyed doing this tutorial, and soon got accustomed to the basic editing skills. And now I am comfortable with modeling objects and texturing. For people who are looking forward to learn or have a look at this great open source software, spend some time with it with some patience, you can create wonders if you have the artistic ability in you.

Coming to features, Blender has large number of features on par with commercial softwares needed for professional 3d animators and modelers. But for casual users, people who want to get on 3d development as a hobby, Blender has complete features one would ever need. And the huge price difference between Blender and other commercial softwares for 3d development softwares is the best point for Blender.

Well in your opinon, starscream, I'm mixed up if Blender is a good program or not, I'm definitly confused. Anyways, is free, and what operating system is it for?-Hannah