xisto Community
Sallender

Which Web Editor Software? read this

I recently started using PHP Designer 2007 Personal Edition and I must say I kinda like it ;) . It doesn't offer anything more compared to Notepad++, but the program just feels better (and more professional) to work with :P . I remember using FirstPage2000 a loooooong time ago, but I can't remember what it was like ^_^ . I still have the installer, so if anyone is interested ;)

just wondering, why are people only talking about firstpage 2000? I've had firstpage 2006 installed for like 1 and a half years or more. its ok, i used to use it, infact i like it better then dreamweaver, but the editor is laggy.anyway, im happy enought with notepad++im downloading php designer at the moment, the personal one. it looks nicer than notepad++, ill just give it a go.

I have and will continue to use Dreamweaver. I guess for the moment I am using MX. As far as Frontpage was concerned, I used it for quite some time until I started using Firefox, found Firefox fantastic, and at the same time got upset that I just couldn't use Frontpage with Firefox. I had Frontpage as a part of Microsoft Office XP. So I really don't know how the newer Frontpage goes... I am sure it has all of the features updated and I am sure it works with Firefox now.I began TrelixWeb and used Notepad here and there, but I started to get lazy and began to use Frontpage and then had geocities... It all worked very well for me. Then as I began creating more and more pages my preferences began to change, too. When I went back to school into the Programming side, I began to really get into Dreamweaver.... and learned how to use it well... As before, I learned a lot on my own.So as long as I am able to keep up with Dreamweaver and its' many extensions, I am happy with the product. But, to each his/her own. Just keep up with what you know... But also realize that it never hurts to experiment, that's what makes an artist.- skedad -

I have used many web editor softwares before, but nothing comes close to dreamweaver as a web editor application. People say it is a tool for beginners and not real developers, but that is not true. It is used for professionals because it gives a array of options and features that allow them to manipulate their design with ease. There are advanced features in dreamweaver that only a real web developer can understand how to use. Such as the options between when to use the wysiwyg, and when not to. I perferbaly use the wysiwyg when I am trying to create simple things like font adjustments and such for a certain specific page. The ability to edit your code and see the design in split mode is a nifty feature to see on the fly edits. Dreamweaver also offers users direct connection to their hosting site server, so when they are ready to upload their files to the server they can do it with a simple button. Not only does it allow you to be directly connected to your server host, but allows you to put multiply options for connecting to the host in their simple user interface layout. Currently I am using Dreamweaver 8 and have stuck with it, I have tried CS3 but notice no difference in features but the change in user interface.

Yeah, you have to admit it's quite impractical to use anything that's not WYSIWYG... As far as efficiency... Although it would be very possible to code things entirely in notepad and then upload them to a server to test, this would be quite impractical given the high rate of speed at which things move on the net.. especially business...I guess it also depends on whether you just want a business card type placement on the net, or something with new features all the time to re-attract traffic...For a hobbyist, there's nothing wrong with coding your html and php in "kate" and testing on your apache server using whatever browser you please...Although for a business, you'd almost certainly have to stick with something that's efficient and timely... even if you're just creating for a business...

The one I use most is Arachnophilia. It is html-oriented, free, and written in Java, so it will run on anything that hosts a Java virtual machine. I started with it almost a decade ago. It is now up to version 5.3, and very stable. It automatically located both my browsers (IE, Firefox), and with a single button push, will display the file I am working on in the browser I have selected at that time. So I can edit the file, and at any time get a display of what it will look like in the browser of my choice.

Besides, it is fun to look around the rest of the arachnoid website. He has the best explanation around for why the night sky is dark. The answer to Olbers' Paradox is elegantly explained with animated illustrations. ;)