xisto Community
sdoherty1000

Free Hosting Is It Worth It?

My yearly subscription to csmedia hosting has ran out and so I set about the internet looking for an alternative. Although cs media are fine at hosting I wondered if free hosting is the way to go. So this is my first post here so let me say hi... "Hi"Can Xisto transfer my original domain and how good a hoster is it?Thanks guyssteve

Well that would depend on your way of thinking, if you think like most of the members here; free hosting is just a stepping stone to paid hosting, although you don't need a big 20 gig plan due to the fact that most free and paid hosting plans don't other as much as Xisto does. But once your get a plan here, you can drop a couple of dollars for a domain and your set until your hosting starts running out of space and bandwidth only lasts a day.You can park your domain on to your free hosting account and your set and like I mention before most free hosting sites don't other as much as Xisto does. Of course Xisto and Xisto are the only sites that use a automated credit system that lets you know how long your hosting account stay active. Yeah you have to post but instead of the quantity of posts you have to makes its the quality of the posts that you have to work on; meaning that the longer your posts the more credits you can get and the longer your hosting lasts.This place has great members, great staff and most of all great hosting.

It really depends if you are willing to sit down for 10 minutes every weekend and post on a forum (thats about 40 minutes per month but easy work). If you think like I do, Xisto really is the way to go. It takes about 15 minutes for me to make $3.00 (The average cost for basic hosting per month). So if you are good at typing and making posts, Xisto is the way to go. However if it takes you 30 minutes to make 7 hosting credits then you might want to continue with paid hosting (unless you make less then $6.00 per hour). That is how I see it and some people would disagree with me saying that paid hosting is better then Xisto but if you compair the $3.00 per month plan to Xisto they are about the same.Thanks,Sparkx

I know of a lot of paid hosting that is less reliable then Xisto's free hosting :P If you are going the free route, this is the company you want to do it with, no question about it. The time commitment in order to keep hosting is not extensive especially if you are able to react intelligently to topics and make well thought out posts quickly and efficiently. Further you can gain a surplus of credits and not need to constantly be visiting the forums if that is your wish. Regardless it is not a great trouble for a very high quality hosting solution.More importantly, why not try it out? It takes very little time to get 10 or 30 credits and then once your application is processed, try asta for awhile. Worst case scenario something displeases you and you leave, or switch to computinghosts paid services. Either way all you will be losing by trying asta is a little time, and who can't spare that :POh, and I agree, we have an awesome staff <_<

I know of a lot of paid hosting that is less reliable then Xisto's free hosting :P If you are going the free route, this is the company you want to do it with, no question about it. The time commitment in order to keep hosting is not extensive especially if you are able to react intelligently to topics and make well thought out posts quickly and efficiently. Further you can gain a surplus of credits and not need to constantly be visiting the forums if that is your wish. Regardless it is not a great trouble for a very high quality hosting solution.
More importantly, why not try it out? It takes very little time to get 10 or 30 credits and then once your application is processed, try asta for awhile. Worst case scenario something displeases you and you leave, or switch to computinghosts paid services. Either way all you will be losing by trying asta is a little time, and who can't spare that :P

Oh, and I agree, we have an awesome staff <_<

lol, biased much? .. I think us moderators should just leave before we advertise ourselves too much :P

xboxrulz

good free hosting like Xisto is just as good as padi hosting!if you want free hosting, get Xisto, its the best free host youll find. Although, if you want paid hosting, you could get it from computer host, they are owned by the same company as Xisto... i think. I was looking at it yesterday, if i get paid hosting ill probably get that.all you need to do is post until youve got 30 credits and apply, but after that youll need to do a bit of posting to keep your hosting.

OK, let me give my opinion.Xisto people are kind with us, they allow free hosted people to make money with their site.So, I would say, start with a free plan at Xisto, in order to see if you are good on Internet, if people come to your site and if people appreciate what you do.When this site starts being an important part of your business, if people connect to your site and ask you to do a paid job for instance, or if they buy something you want to sell, you start making money with your website.As soon as the money coming from your website starts being more than the expenses for a paid site, you shoud go to a paid hosting plan.Personnally, I don't have $3.33 a month for paying for my website. That's why I ame here, hosted by Xisto free web hosting.As soon as my site will start growing, and the revenue coming from my site will be bigger than $3.33 a month, I will switch to a paid hosting plan.Inbetween, I will have tested Xisto's technical team, I am satisfied with the uptime, I am reasonably satisfied by my own graphical skills and website designing, so as soon as my site will give me a stable $3.33 monthly revenue I will switch to a paid plan.Hope this helped.Yordan

I'm currently in highschool, and I don't have a job, nor do I have time to have a job. Although you can find cheap hosting for about 1 dollar a month, and get a cheap $9 domain name for a year, I would think taking 5 minutes of your day to post a couple of times it really worth it. I can't find many free hosting sites with as many features as this one like cpanel, php, mysql, email and a lot more even on just the basic free hosting plan. Even though I haven't been here as long as other people, I'm really glad I found out about this site.

Astahosts hosting quality is very good, can even beat some paid hosts. Only catch is if you have the time to post on a forum, though if you do forget and your credits run out your site just gets suspended not deleted.I probably won't change from Xisto unless my needs change. What Xisto offers is perfect for what i need and i can spare the time to make a few posts here and there.If you need more space/features than asta offers try Xisto - Web Hosting (Xisto's paid division)-HellFire

I came across Xisto in a list of free hosting. I wanted a new step in reliability and so far, I cannot complain. It took a little while to maneuver through the cPanel, but I am only so far into it... and there is much to go yet! I checked out a few other sites, and there is so much to offer, here. Two different sites with two different styles to help with what you are into as far as forums go... Xisto, or Xisto. Xisto is also expanding into paid programs to in case of professional usage.So far, oh yes, it is worth it!I was a bit new to forums... I have explored many of them, but didn't get what I needed to out of them. I am learning more every time I come in and post... and it gives me more longevity with my site... and I get to do almost anything here in the posts.... I have found some interesting people who like to do the same things I do, and they care just as much as I do... I have already been helped SO much from the start... It is so much worth the time invested.... If you would like to do more and have a lot of usage and freedom, just get involved!I had questions and they got answered, and I put my opinion out there, and people responded... good and bad, and I learned from it... who knew!!?? I know that paid sites seem to have more to offer.... at this point, I have what I need right here! I just hope that everyone will find what they are looking for... I am making a family site to get my feet wet again before making professional sites.... This site is just what I need, and will try to continue as long as I am able.So, I think it is worth it... you just put a little effort into it, and it can be a huge enjoyment.- skedad -

I do think free hosting is much of an adventure. i have tons of account free hosting services that i have tried since internet began. This is the first time I tried using this type where you need credits for freebies. I cant evaluate it now but as soon as I get credit, it would be nice to tryout. So far, I am with http://www.freehosita.com/rg-erdr.php?_rpo=t, its the best one so far.. Free hosting is good for me its because I dont live in the 1st world. the sad thing is that its too much expensive here, but I do have the time to spent chatting and doing stuff in the forums as well as managing my own..

I would say that free hosting is worth it only to an extent. If you want to experiment or are a starter, you should definitely spend some time with a free webhost. It will give you insight into how things work and also give you a chance to work with your website. This way, when you get a paid host, you can have everything up and running immediately and be able to advertise it and get it going asap.I actually am using another free host with no option to purchase a domain. I have only had one issue with it being down for 2 days. That was it. I trust it but why can't I purchase a domain with it? I am hoping to earn money from a website and it is the yoursite.com that will gain more popularity than coming in and getting into the minds of people as a subdomain. It's rare that a subdomain will ever be full-blown popular. mysite.google.com just doesn't seem to cut it. Google is still in those people's minds, whether they are visiting your site and seeing your logo name or not. That primary name is there. Or among any others.... mysite.freewebhost.com .. it's freewebhost that are in people's minds.But http://www.mysite.com/ ... if you can get this into people's minds, they'll return to it and your chances of becoming more popular are better.I think without it, however, it's much harder to at least know and experiment with what will happen. At least, even with being a subdomain, you can give your few friends the opportunity to see it before you go truly live with it.

I think it worth-- if you choose reliable host such as Asta, or a few others.I tried some free hosting before Asta, their down time is frustrating. Althought it's not a long period downtime, but a few hours here or there is enough to scare me away.Asta is not perfect, but it's better. I do have down time several times during North American afternoons. But it's after my middle night, I am mostly sleeping, so I can't comment on the frequency. Sometimes I guess-- maybe Asta knows I'm a Chinese, not using blog after middle night? But it doens't make sense, -- my visitors are mostly from North American. So, I only hope that the several down time during North American afternoon were just by chance and being improved.In the next few months, after my site matured, I will seriously think about this problem. For the moment, I'm happy with Asta.Some more thoughts--If you pay for a shared hosting, then, maybe it worth more staying with Asta and enjoy the free service.If your site comsume more resource, have many visitors, a VPS hosting is more suitable.

I do have down time several times during North American afternoons. But it's after my middle night, I am mostly sleeping,

Have a look at the server status here : https://support.xisto.com/serverstatus.phpYour site is probably hosted on the "gamma" server. This server has 172 days uptime.
this means that the server was not down since more than six months!
So, if your site really had downtimes, moreover on a regular basis, you should open a ticket at Xisto - Support and ask them to fix that.
Remember that, today, at asta, you are not on a free web hosting site, you ordered a paid hosting plan, so you are exactly like all Xisto customers, you simply have to be satisfied and experience no trouble with your servers.