xisto Community
Nik1405241546

Broadband Modem Sharing Accessing Internet from 2 computers

getting the router to workBroadband Modem Sharing

I recently bout a router and hooked it up to my second computer so I would have an internet connection on both computers but I cannot get it to connect to my internet which is aol 

-reply by JennyKeywords:

Dear people

I wannna know that can I connect my computer to another over internet through modem

Will that persons modem allow a backdoor entry in his pc's files

CAuse I just hacked  sme modems the ROMpageserver/UPNP PAge thatthe modem Has on his settings

Keywords: access files of another computer through modem hack

Sharing DSL modem bandwidthBroadband Modem Sharing

When multiple users are connected to one DSL wireless modem, how is the available bandwidth shared?To be specific, if one is downloading a big file at max bandwidth, and another tries to also download a big file, what happens?  One must wait  for the first to finish,

or the bandwidth is cut for both

or something else.

Hi!If you are connecting another broadband modem, then you would need another account. To share an account, you have to setup some form of getting the connection shared after the connection to the Internet Service Provider has been established. If you have a broadband modem, the connection sharing would have to be done through the computer by attaching an additional interface such as an wired network adapter card/dongle or a wireless network adapter card/dongle. Most desktop PCs include a wired network adapter integrated into the motherboard and most notebook/netbook PCs include both a wired network adapter as well as a wireless network adapter integrated into the unit.To run a network to your barn is as simple as running a computer network cable for up to a hundred metres beyond which you would need a repeater. A fiber optic connection can run much longer, but the setup would cost you much more than having to run a single copper cable yourself.

Sharing DSL modem bandwidth

Broadband Modem Sharing

<p>When multiple users are connected to one DSL wireless modem, how is the available bandwidth shared?To be specific, if one is downloading a big file at max bandwidth, and another tries to also download a big file, what happens? One must wait for the first to finish,</p>

<p> or the bandwidth is cut for both </p>

<p>or something else.</p>

The bandwidth is cut, each computer statically has one half of the bandwidth.

So, the total result will be the same if you download each file after the other one.

Simply, if you have two persons, this two guys will absolutely want to start downloading at the same time, so in real life you will have to let them run simultaneously and see the double time for double number files.

I wannna know that can I connect my computer to another over internet through modem

Will that persons modem allow a backdoor entry in his pc's files

This is partly the main goal of a personal computer security. If this computer has no shared folder, you cannot enter his files.

If the computer has a shared folder, you can only see the shared folder files. If this folder is read-only, you cannot change the files, you can only read them. And of course you have to guess a valid username and password.

If the guy knows a little bit about computers, he will set up a firewall which will allow only a couple of computers to access his PC. So, entering the modem will be useless, you will not be able to go further than the modem. Which is funny by itself, but remains useless for file reading purposes.

And of course if this guy is stupid and leaves his computer absolutely open without any protection, then everybody can do what he wants on that computer ; however, there will probably be nothing interesting to play with.

You can't use crossover cable, just used straight through cable, Cross over cable must be used only when two computer are connected without a router

-reply by rvilla

about lan card functioningBroadband Modem Sharing

I have connected a new lan card in order to share my broad band connection

the onboard lan card is not functioning now what might have happend to my onboard lan card

-reply by komalvikram

connect usb modem to wireless routerBroadband Modem Sharing

It seems this has be asked, but I can't grasp it. I have a virgin mobile broadband 2 go usb modem, that is plugged into my gateway desktop, xp sp3. Have a dlink dir 601 wireless router with a internet port and 4 LAN ports and also a hp laptop w/ wireless xp sp3. Also a Wii, but thats the lease of my problem. I've followed some suggestions with trying to bridge at desktop, but it won't let me. I can get the laptop to pick up the router with strong signal, but of course no internet connection. With the equipment I have can I share the internet wireless?

Thanks, jim from florida

The best, and cleanest way of doing this, is to simply buy:A wireless routerpci/pci-e/usb etc cardDon't forget, the wireless router has plugs in the back (usually 4) so just put the modem+router near one computer,then you will only have to buy one wireless card for the other machine (like I have set up right now, in my home). Here's the setup:Coax cable from wall (thick cable cord) --> Modem --> Wireless router internet input via ethernet cordThen just simply plug the computer near it, into one of the open ports in back. Don't forget to set up yourwireless security. You can generally get into your router's GUI by typing in 192.168.1.1 when everything is hooked up and running.What's nice about doing it this way is.. you don't have to share a connection from one computer (which it isn't really designed to do efficiently). And so you can add more wireless, and wired devices in. PS3, xbox, extra laptops, friends netbook, someones wifi internet phone.. etc. Having wireless internet in your home is very nice to have, and it gives features to others that come visit - and have devices to use it.

2 modems, 1 broadband account. is there a way to utilize 2nd modem?

Broadband Modem Sharing

<p>Ok, I have one broadband account through rr. I own a 2nd modem (same as the 1st). We have a barn out back that already has cable running to it. Is there a way to hook up the second modem and get it to work out there without having to pay for a second account? It's too far for wireless, to run a hard line would be a real pain. I understand that each modem has a distinct serial or address is there a way to copy the first to the 2nd? Thanks in advance for your help. </p>

-reply by dishdesigns

unless it's a router modem, where you can set the second as a router for your pc in the back barn, i don't think you can run two modems simultaneously of a single broadband account unless your ISP facilitates such service

problem with router to a broadband.

Broadband Modem Sharing

<p> hello,,</p>

<p>I am connected to the internet using a broadband..My problem is, I want to setup two computers using a router..My computer is a laptop and the other one is a desktop.I tried to setup this two computers,I connected the broadband the WAN of the router,then I connected the two computers to the router using a crossover cable.But it didnt work...Please help me...I don't know what to do...</p>

<p>thanks;;; </p>

-reply by jrey_haze

<p> </p>

You need to plug your router into the modem, and the modem has a coax cable cord running into the wall. You can't use a crossover cable with a router. That's only for pc to pc connections.

Running an internet connection (no matter how fast it really is) through another computer is absolutely horrible. That main computer has to "compute" all the information is pass through,

thereby slowing the process (and your speed) down considerably. Routers have built in cpu's and ram to handle the load. Also, read the little booklet that came with the router =)

You may need to visit 192.168.1.1 or whatever web address your router is at (its usually posted on the bottom of the router, and yes, you use a web browser to get to the interface) and

set up your router.

Also, to the person who was asking about using 2 modems on one cable broadband line - You cannot do this! Routers are special for a reason!

When running 2 modems on one cable line, it will scramble the signals, because broadband can only accept one modem signal & communication.

It would be like 2 people in different languages talking to you at the same time.

Routers don't screw up the line though, because they "route" the information, to whichever computer requested it.

They take your one IP address and mask and split it up, so everyone gets a piece of the pie.

Doing the whole, crossover this, and rigging that, is just making a makeshift router(crappy one at that), when you could just simply buy one, and save yourself the problem.

It's not like they're that expensive.

The best, and cleanest way of doing this, is to simply buy:
A wireless router
pci/pci-e/usb etc card

Don't forget, the wireless router has plugs in the back (usually 4) so just put the modem+router near one computer,
then you will only have to buy one wireless card for the other machine (like I have set up right now, in my home).

Here's the setup:

Coax cable from wall (thick cable cord) --> Modem --> Wireless router internet input via ethernet cord

Then just simply plug the computer near it, into one of the open ports in back. Don't forget to set up your
wireless security. You can generally get into your router's GUI by typing in 192.168.1.1 when everything is
hooked up and running.

What's nice about doing it this way is.. you don't have to share a connection from one computer (which it isn't really designed to do efficiently).
And so you can add more wireless, and wired devices in. PS3, xbox, extra laptops, friends netbook, someones wifi internet phone.. etc.
Having wireless internet in your home is very nice to have, and it gives features to others that come visit - and have devices to use it.

i agree... wireless will save you a lot of cabling obstacles... with wireless N you are assured great speed and distance ;)

I don't understand why home networking has been so frequently discussed on the net-- It is so simple. My broadband came with a modern with 4 holes on the back which I can plugin 4 lines from 4 computers, there's also a 5th hole for USB, wireless is included but no hole. After plugin a line in a hole, I add the computer to the WorkGroup -- this can be done on the tab where you view your computer's name. That's all I need to do when setup home network. Windowxp automtically assign an IP to each computer. In each computer, I choose which part to share; In McAfee, I add them all as trusted PCs.The only thing bothered me is the 4 keyboards and 4 mouses. So, I installed InputDirector and use only one keyboard and one mouse to control them all ;)