xisto Community
Bảo Tuấn

Avg Free Vs Avast! Free

Replying to patronus4000 Actually you don't want to have two anti virus softwares because till use a LOT of your processor power and ram slowing down your computer and they will see each other and notice it has been scanning your computer and quarantine it as spy ware.Also I think I'm going to go with AVG because I downloaded it and instantly it found like two Trojans and something els and its smaller on my HDD but that doesn't matter much.~http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

-reply by Fmily

Slightly off the comparison part. Avast and Avira are now falling for parasiteware technologies like uniblue. You'll find that avira and avast are now carrying code inserted by uniblue. So chances are there that uniblue is going to ask you for recommendation in IE, Firefox and other browser. So that means these two are turning out to be scareware. There is no official announcement like this on avast site. But they'er slowly rolling it out on free member desktops. So chances are there that with avira it is visible but not the case with avast.

You can find the uniblue addition inside avira in this article. There is a lot of talk going on in many forums these days. You can also find that once uniblue gets embeded inside avast and avira then it'll harass users with software recommendation part. I guess everytime they scan or login or in some random time. I don't see when and how but from what i can see it is going to be naggin with the window or popup for free users. I'm sure you'll notice that soon most of the free antivirus are going to use this method to either get data from user computers or use it for ad bombarding purpose. So there is not going to be 100% free antivirus unless open source folks get into this.

So coming back to topic for comparison between AVG and Avast, my vote goes to AVG for not making such scary deals and using member computers for ad serving. I don't know when they'll make deal with companies like uniblue but as of now they're safe from all of this. So if anyone wants clutter-free antivirus then AVG should be the choice. For others they can choose any anti-virus of their choice.

I'm sure you'll notice that soon most of the free antivirus are going to use this method to either get data from user computers or use it for ad bombarding purpose. So there is not going to be 100% free antivirus unless open source folks get into this.

What about Microsoft Security Essentials? I am using it over a year now and it's really not annoying to use it and it's free, doesn't seem to be interested in becoming an adware software of some kind. I usually hate the AV which says it's free, but you get a lot of junk from them. And reminders to go advanced to get more features and pay for it, so it's not really free...

MSE actively checks the registration of the computer and that is why it is not available for many OEM based computers. Atleast not working on one of the dell machines that i used once. MSE is too strict with license policies so they have limited userbase. No doubt they're actively tracking the antivirus and some other crapware on the computer. But in my opinion they never made it to as close as 'malwarebyters antimalware' or even like AVG. So no competition for MSE here. Little bit off topic i guess but if we compare AVG vs AVAST vs MSE. Then i guess both the first softwares are getting under spyware or parasiteware title. They're likely to be having issues with userbase soon once they relaize the issues with these two antivirus. In case of MSE it only appears on registered or volume licensed users. As the OS iteselt belongs to the MSE makers so there is nothing for pre or upsell. So i think MSE is safe on adware and parasiteware side. But i can't say the same for AVG and Avast anymore. These two softwares are less likely to be used if they don't get rid of uniblue and similar other softwares. Otherwise maybe even FSF folks or other free software folks need to jump into this industry for virus removal market solution. Again, AVG used to be good with their integration for browser security and WOT. But as theyre involved into adware these days. We can't say that anymore about them.

MSE actively checks the registration of the computer and that is why it is not available for many OEM based computers. Atleast not working on one of the dell machines that i used once. MSE is too strict with license policies so they have limited userbase. No doubt they're actively tracking the antivirus and some other crapware on the computer. But in my opinion they never made it to as close as 'malwarebyters antimalware' or even like AVG. So no competition for MSE here.

Little bit off topic i guess but if we compare AVG vs AVAST vs MSE. Then i guess both the first softwares are getting under spyware or parasiteware title. They're likely to be having issues with userbase soon once they relaize the issues with these two antivirus. In case of MSE it only appears on registered or volume licensed users. As the OS iteselt belongs to the MSE makers so there is nothing for pre or upsell. So i think MSE is safe on adware and parasiteware side. But i can't say the same for AVG and Avast anymore. These two softwares are less likely to be used if they don't get rid of uniblue and similar other softwares. Otherwise maybe even FSF folks or other free software folks need to jump into this industry for virus removal market solution.

Again, AVG used to be good with their integration for browser security and WOT. But as theyre involved into adware these days. We can't say that anymore about them.

I'm sorry to say, but I think you're completely wrong here. Microsoft did not create MSE in order to track user with invalid licenses, that's completely *BLEEP*. MSE was created because Microsoft realised that even nowadays many users do not have an antivirus soltion and that is the reason why so many (Windows) computers get infected. MSE, is a completely free, relatively simple to use and even lightweight anti-virus solution. If it is not available to users without a valid license of Microsoft windows, then you might consider that MSE is something that is included in Windows when you BUY Windows, it's a free extra you get. I'm very sorry for those users who are using illegal, cracked and hacked version of Windows, but I don't think they have the right to have MSE installed on their computers.

Then you're comparing MSE to MalwareBytes anti-malware and AVG. You do know you're comparing apples with lemons here. MSE is an anti-malware tool. It detects not only viruses, but it also detects critical malware applications (those which spread fast and are dangerous). Malwarebytes anti-malware is NOT an anti-virus tool, it's an anti-malware tool, it does not detect virusses, it does not offer on-access protection for free. Last but not least, AVG is a monster of an application, it's like a colemine factory compared to MSE, but it's purpose is the same as MSE, so comparing MSE and AVG might be correct.

Last but not least, I totaly don't understand your gibberish about AVG and Avast getting into malware, that's like telling the police is robbing jewerly stores.... it makes no sense. Please explain yourself here a bit more (with proof please) ;)

in my experience and preference, AVAST is the way to go... I've been using it for almost 5 years now and have recommended it to everyone i know who uses the net or a computer... but i think AVG is just another great free AV software among a lot of others ;)

MSE is something that is included in Windows when you BUY Windows, it's a free extra you get.

For people wanting to try Microsoft MSE, get it from here : http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

as usual, click "download", don't forget to choose your language and your OS (XP, vista-32 or vista64, etc).

You can catch the installer and install it on a standalone computer before connecting it to the network. However, as usual, you need a working internet connection in order to update the latest virus signatures.

Regards

Yordan

----------------------

By the way, I really think that this info is not completely useless.

Nevertheless, the MSE considarions are fully of-topic considering the starter post title "AVG VS Avast" ;)

I don't know why and how i missed this post of yours but just found this reply because it was bumped this month.

I'm sorry to say, but I think you're completely wrong here. Microsoft did not create MSE in order to track user with invalid licenses, that's completely *BLEEP*.

Which part of it makes *BLEEP* to you ? a free software that detects license when it was made free for buyers ? if it was made free then why they detect volume license users as pirated or cracked to begin with. Another thing is that free software that detects such stuff is not free at all and in fact made to cut customers to begin with, if that's *BLEEP* to you then keep harping your fanboi BS.

MSE was created because Microsoft realised that even nowadays many users do not have an antivirus soltion and that is the reason why so many (Windows) computers get infected. MSE, is a completely free, relatively simple to use and even lightweight anti-virus solution

that's good for laugh. free software created to clean security issues of OS which 99% full of security holes and oh wait the antivirus solution which fixes this and is lightweight, that's another joke.

If it is not available to users without a valid license of Microsoft windows, then you might consider that MSE is something that is included in Windows when you BUY Windows, it's a free extra you get. I'm very sorry for those users who are using illegal, cracked and hacked version of Windows, but I don't think they have the right to have MSE installed on their computers.

MSE is not avilable for volume license users as well. If that makes you think they've no right to use windows or MSE, then seriously bow our of this post chasing against me. There is life on internet.

Then you're comparing MSE to MalwareBytes anti-malware and AVG. You do know you're comparing apples with lemons here.

Apples and lemons are off topic in antivirus topic, not even qualify for analogy. Malwarebyte was compared plenty of times against AVG. If you're not aware of this then please update yourself.

MSE is an anti-malware tool. It detects not only viruses, but it also detects critical malware applications (those which spread fast and are dangerous). Malwarebytes anti-malware is NOT an anti-virus tool, it's an anti-malware tool, it does not detect virusses, it does not offer on-access protection for free. Last but not least, AVG is a monster of an application, it's like a colemine factory compared to MSE, but it's purpose is the same as MSE, so comparing MSE and AVG might be correct.

Where you got impression that i was comparing malware tool for virus solution ? need glasses ?

Last but not least, I totaly don't understand your gibberish about AVG and Avast getting into malware, that's like telling the police is robbing jewerly stores.... it makes no sense. Please explain yourself here a bit more (with proof please) ;)

I don't understand your post chasing and flaming to every thread i post, so better come up with some decent reply instead of BS. or should i report your post chasing to me to moderators, i'm sure they noticed this crap already.