xisto Community
brcmville

Firefox 2 Has A Spell Check! Yea, it really does.

I use the spell checker also.But it never likes half of my words (like Colour etc) as I am not American or from what ever standard it uses by default. I'm actually not even sure if I can change it lol, I should probably look into it.

Chesso: You can download dictionaries for many languages from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/language-tools/, including three different versions of English: Australian, British and American. Granted, I supposed it doesn't change that much since you know those words well enough to know you're right. I only wish Firefox would stop underlining proper nouns--they're meant to not be in the dictionary. :-P

I really love the spell check on firefox, just another reason to get firefox. Like some people said though, sometimes it can be annoying when typing out things that are not really words, like abbreviations or internet slang. Oh well, I guess it's just trying to tell us that internet slang isn't good for your grammar. :rolleyes:

I love it too :rolleyes: I love it because I am a Joomla developer and Firefox can also spell check when you are writing content for a Joomla post.I used to poy and paste all the content text into word or Open Office to spellcheck the content,, these days I let firefox handle, therefore saving me a step..

Humbug.

Firefox 2 Has A Spell Check!

...More than just a wee smidgin of snobbery attached to that post...They "lol" betrayed the delusion of adequecy about you though...Aye..Some people..

-reply by Gaelforce

As far as I know, FF has spellchecker and voice by default. These are large addons. Opera has them as optional downloads, while having much smaller things by default.

Haha, yeah. I actually hate the spell check in Firefox 2 though... Anyone else find #2 to be a little lackluster? I've had alot of problems with it, I don't think I've been able to say I ever had any issues with the original.
Somebody on the first page mentioned you can turn it off though I guess I can go ahead and do that. I found a download link for the old version over here http://filehippo.com/download_firefox/2743/ for anyone else interested... I think I might downgrade at some point. I'll see how version #3 pans out first.

I also noticed this as Firefox 2 became available, and it is a very useful feature, especially for sites like this (Xisto Forums) where I type a lot, and of course make a lot of mistakes. In response to Quatrux I actually like the automated spell check, instead of asking the program to check my spelling for me. I can ignore words I spelled incorrectly for reasons such as slang, or what not, however I hate forgetting to run a spell check and then looking stupid because I have many mispelled words.