xisto Community
brcmville

Firefox 2 Has A Spell Check! Yea, it really does.

Yes I'm liking this feature myself also. But I don't understand why after upgrading there have been several automatic upgrades since then.

If there are names you commonly type (or any other word that spellcheck complains about) you can simply right-click the underlined text and select add to dictionary. Then it won't bug you about them anymore. I don't, however, if later you can remove things from the dictionary.

~Viz

Yup - Viz is right. I always right-click and add the names I use frequently to stop FireFox from bugging me. Later on, if you want to remove a name from the dictionary it's equally easy. You just have to go in a roundabout way.

When you add a word to the Firefox dictionary, it gets stored in a file called persdict.dat, which is located in the Document & Settings > YourWindowsUserName > Application Data > Mozilla > Firefox > Profiles > SomeRandomCharacter.default folder.

The entries are listed in plain-text, one entry per line. To remove a word from the dictionary, simply delete the appropriate line in persdict.dat and you're done. The same goes for removing misspelt words from the dictionary.

If you blog a lot and write about various businesses and companies, you'd require a sizeable list of company names in your dictionary. I'd come across a site which offers such lists of company names (in various sectors) for free. Copying and pasting those lists from their site into persdict.dat makes your life really easy later on. Can't recall the URL though.

Cheers,

m^e

The entries are listed in plain-text, one entry per line. To remove a word from the dictionary, simply delete the appropriate line in persdict.dat and you're done. The same goes for removing misspelt words from the dictionary.

Thank you!

I had always wondered how to do that.

BTW ... I don't use IE7. Does it have spell checking too?

Edited by ginginca (see edit history)

I was actually going to post something about ieSpell, lol. The only thing I've found with it though (I just found it like two days ago) is that it doesn't show red lines like in Word if you've misspelled a word, but all you have to do is right-click and run the spell check when you've finished typing. Works fine for me!

Ahhhh I downloaded the Australian-English Spell Checker plug-in for Mozilla Firefox. Therefore I have the exact same thing as you guys, except with Australian-English. :ph34r:

Firefox has many features that can be easily be overlooked. The spell checking feature has been around for quite sometime. After each iteration of the version of browser the feature itself improved. But firefox as a browser surpasses all other browsers in all its forms. Firefox allows web developers like myself to use the browser as a tool more so than a browser to view sites and do daily browsing. It offers many plug-ins and such to help accommodate the web developer in building a efficient website that is error free. One example of the tools that firefox offers that I am talking about is the firebug tool. It gives you the ability to mouse over contents of the website and view its current source location. It also provide you with the ability to edit the site itself on the fly. So you can actually change the contents on the site automatically if you wanted to. So this alone is a great debuging tool that I use most often. If you have not looked into the features that firefox offers its time you spend five or ten minutes to look into it. It offer vast amounts of plug-ins that will make you web developerment cycle shorter and better.

I have known about this for some time now, but I wish it would have a grammar one also like if you have I have eggs milk and cheese. It would change it to I have eggs, milk, and cheese.

Yeah, but grammar checkers usually suck. There are so many exceptions (and exceptions wrapped within exceptions) in the English language that it's really difficult to build a good grammar checker. Even the one MS Word employs (which, by the way, is quite good compared to the others), still has many mistakes. If I wrote an essay and changed all the grammar mistakes according to Word's suggestions, I'd have many problems on my paper.
If the Firefox devs can create a better grammar checker, kudos to them, but I highly doubt that's happening anytime soon. And if they're using some existing implementation, I'd prefer not to have that integrated. Extension would be better.

I saw spellcheck (Wow... It's saying spellcheck is misspelled, how ironic.) coming in the alpha version, Minefield. It is a very nice feature and it's somewhat of a coincidence that I was just thinking about it before I saw this thread :rolleyes:

Have anyone tried the Firefox 3 BETA (Minefield) It is awesome! Oh yeah, it still has a spell check! Good work Mozilla! Note: They're tabs work as well!xxxx-jozh-xxxx

Huh? The tabs work in Firefox 2... And you mean ALPHA. Minefield isn't BETA yet. Also, I don't recommend Minefield for regular browsing. The tiny extra features aren't worth the many bugs that come packaged inside that thing, and most good extensions aren't compatible with it. I know there's a way to disable compatibility check, but it still isn't worth it.

I use google toolbar's spellcheck on firefox. I couldn't ever get the new update to work. You need windows vista and there are no updates for XP but the update installing wizzard keeps coming up. I don't use firefox much because I have found a better browser that works better for me. Though this new browser doesn't support google toolbar spellcheck and page rank are not that inportant in my opinion. I am getting a little tired of all the new software only being for windows vista. I am surpised firefox started offering only vista updates so soon after it was released. I guess spellcheck is cool at first but soon you will realize how much you really use it (unless it is auto underline like Word). Thanks,Sparkx