xisto Community
Markymark2

Should We Delete The Gaming Forums? A poll on the games forum

Should we get rid of the Gaming side of the forum?  

2 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The reason I bring this up is because of all the sheer useless posts in the gaming forums.As a moderator I kinda get sick trying to keep an eye on all the crappy posts that mainly new users post in the gaming side of the forums. To me these are "Cheap" posts and a lot of people spam one liners on this side of the forums to gain credits only to find that when they post a request to be hosted that they are denied.Trap 17 has a gaming forum which is also filled with endless debates about how much Runescape sucks or how much Halo "roxers" does  Xisto need this kind of stuff in the forum here as well?My suggestion is NO!! I would lock the gaming forum and point people to Xisto if they want to post about games. So what do the rest of the Asta users think?Marky;)

Well considering the fact that I rarely EVER find any other place where I feel like I can contribute by posting, I say "no" to your idea of getting rid of the game section of the forums. It seems like half of the sections already don't offer credits, so it would just bug the crap out of me if I have nowhere to post. And no, I'm not one of those people that only writes a line and then hits the submit button. I usually only post when I really feel like I have something to say or share, and it's becoming increasingly more difficult to gain credits to stay hosted here if I have absolutely no where that I feel I can post effectively. Does it not seem just ridiculous that so many sections have the disclaimer "No post counts" beside it? It does to me, especially since I'm obligated to post somewhere just to maintain hosting. Discussions about music don't count, and neither does life talk, or anything really that doesn't have to do with "computers" or "technology" of any sort. Many times I hate having to post here just because I can't find a decent topic where I actually know what's being discussed. I'm not a huge computer nerd, so I feel that anything I post in the "databases", "operating systems", "networking", "harware workshop", "programming", and many times "software" sections is not going to be worthwhile. So...that basically leaves me "What's new" and "gaming" where I feel I've got at least a tiny bit to contribute. Blah.

I think the gaming forum should stay. Yes there are people who post some junk there, but you see junk in other places too. I like some of the topics that come about in that forum. It's informative sometimes. I know that Trap 17 has a gaming forum too, but why should we not have one. Why can't we have a little 'fun' talk. A little something for the entertainment side of computers. I don't see it as unnecesary.

I think that if its all "professional" and no "fun" then its not as enjoyable by the members. Not all of us want to go to Xisto, I haven't because I said I am getting hosting by Xisto so I'll get it! Sooner or later.Keep the gaming forums, mods should just delete spam topics.

firstly i think that there should be some kind of 'game discussion' but nothing about how one game is better then an other! understand the viewpoint that the mods and admins have about useless posts and that it could get hard to keep an eye on and keep 'clean'. i would like to see them continued but without the meaningless and spam posts that litter it now! i also understand how hard this is though!as i understand it, Xisto is the forums for the technical minded people and doesn't have as much 'real life' as the trap forums. if people want to talk about games and why they hate other games so much, they can do it over there (i know how bad that sounds, im not trying to dump all the problems on the trap mods and admins). If Xisto is more a technical forum, then maybe the games sub forums should be about the technical aspects of games!though this is just one mans ideas and thoughts, this is a forum wide problem and everyone needs to have their say. ultimately, it is going to be the admins choice and whatever it is, i will happily support it!-jimmy

I don't post thier much but I don't think you should take it out. It is a good forum. You may need to however start cracking down on people who post one line posts too much and give them a personal warning or a 24 hour ban (that in my opinion is giving them a good warning). It is nice to see the occasional new game and if you deleat it, new members will just start posting there short line posts somewhere else. That is my oppinion.Thanks,Sparkx

Why scrap this part of the forum if its a burden on the mods here? I thought you guys had a job to do... Right? ;)Honestly, I don't really care if the game forums are removed or credits are no longer given for posting in them because I rarely use them and when I do, its usually to post a review or recommend a game that has not already been introduced. Sadly though, I am one of those people that has a hard time getting into a lot of the "technical" discussions that you find around this forum, and finding a good topic to discuss is sometimes a challenge. leafbunk, who posted earlier in this topic noted that some of us who are not as skilled or rehearsed when it comes to the "databases, operating systems, networking, hardware workshop, programming, and many times software" sections feel like we shouldn't post when we do not know what we are talking about. I am not advocating that credits should be earned from just talking about everyday life or spending 15 seconds replying to an already useless topic, but too much work with no play can be hard on anyone. Removing the gaming forums would be taking away one of the places I feel like I can post without looking like a complete idiot, and considering that my Xisto.com account focuses on gaming and such, it would be a sad not to be able to discuss that here as well.

How about banning topics saying one game sucks, or comparing one to another? Like saying Runescape could use mp3s not midis for the music, not omg itssuckscompare to WOW. Push it back to CC and advertising.

I vote for it to stay, even though i rarely post there, i try to post worthwhile comments. I don't mind if it's relegated to a "no-credits" zone, but i'd like it to stay.

I have perused the gaming forums here once in a while and have seen some posts that just bother the heck out of me in the past. I see another one now that a member reported already and hesitating on taking action on it. I believe that we should keep it, but change it to a no credit count forum instead. The "fun" part is still here, so there should be no problem. Xisto is used mainly for information on technology (mostly computer related). Gaming should have a category of its own and I believe that Xisto is a good choice.This is not to offend anyone, but if you have problems keeping up with the computer related forums, I suggest going to Xisto. This has been mentioned more than once before in the forum by other members and maybe even some staff. Not only will you be earning credits more easier over there, but it will probably interest you more.With that said, I think it should stay as someone said before. As long as it pertains to more technical aspects instead of which game is favorite and listing your entire life time game collection, which I believe is a total waste of time and in a way I find it spamming...

Alot/most of the posts in the gaming part of the forums isn't spam, almost all of the ones that I have looked at/wrote have been good debates, and reviews. Not to mention I'm an avid gamer :) Definantly keep it :ph34r: Specially for me :P

There's a voice in the back of my mind urging me to say "Just get rid of the gaming forums; they're useless!" But I guess I'll try being a bit more reasonable. It is very possible to have a gaming forum without spam. So maybe the gaming forum as a whole shouldn't have post count but specific topics that usually require "better" posts should? Like when a moderator finds a topic to be interesting/worthy of discussion, they'd mark at as having post count. (Or perhaps that system would be waaay too complicated...)

With that said, I think it should stay as someone said before. As long as it pertains to more technical aspects instead of which game is favorite and listing your entire life time game collection, which I believe is a total waste of time and in a way I find it spamming...

Same. But a lot of the threads are what you would consider spamming...And people can't exactly be warned off that. Every new member will inevitably go do that because it looks like an easy way to gain credits (which it is).