xisto Community
Takumi-san

What Is The Best Anti-virus

I have used Norton, Mc Afee, Avast, Kaspersky, AVG and BKav (only in Vietnam, I have not seen any foreign used them ;)). Each of them have unique strength. Some virus Kaspersky can detect and treat but some they can not. The same situation with other software. I experienced that AVG could not detect a virus (forgot its name) but when I installed Kaspersky, they were detected and neutralized.I tried installing 2 software at the same time, but it is the worst choice. They ate RAM and storage so much that I couldn't use Photoshop smoothly as usual.And here's my experience:Norton: consume much storage and make your CPU slow. Bother your work every time with its notice.Mc Afee: same same. Not professional Interface as others. No outstanding point.AVG: good if it's full version. If it's free trial, not good but can be accepted.Avast: not detect virus fast (especially when you insert a USB). Maybe because I used free trial.Kaspersky: the best recommended. It consume less storage and RAM than others. Safe and easy to use.Free software is good but the best is to use the full version.The last recommend: Don't use 2 anti-virus at the same time. They may dispute with each other. ^^

Edited by NgoThanhNgoc (see edit history)

For me, the most of antivirus is the same. But the differences between all the antivirus is the resources.I have try AVG,Norton,Kaspersky,Panda,Bit Defender and a few of antivirus such as Dr.Web, MaCaffe and AntiVir.I still like to use symantec enterprise edition.Coz If that software can catch the virus, that's mean the software is good.-zul_tech

I have frequently used many anti viruses on different computers, servers and others as follows:Norton, Panda, MaCaffe, AVG & Node32 In general, it can not be mentioned which one of them is better than others. Sometimes some of them have better performance for tracking virus, spy, worm and others. I have described their performance briefly at below based on my experience:At the first step, I used Panda Antivirus. But, after using that, I had several problems with it. It couldn�t find all viruses.Norton Antivirus was the best for me so far. Till now, I have not any problem with it at desktops & servers. But, it consumes a lot of resources of your system and your system will be very slow especially when you are working with very high speed internet or intranet. It is an unsatisfactory situation that causes difficulties for persons. MaCaffe for desktop PC has not been satisfied me. Because of this reason that it is not powerful to find all viruses and worms. But, network copy of it is better and more complete than desktop PC. Recently, I understood that server anti viruses can�t find all viruses (for example: soundmix.Exe ) AVG was better than other. Very fast and low capacity anti virus especially for very high speed internet. Now, I have several problems at desktop PC and I don�t know that these problems are for AVG or not. (For example, many viruses are placed on system files and AVG has deleted all of them. But it shall not permit to enter any virus at the first and shall check system continuously.I have recently used Node32. I heard that it has good performance but I have not experienced it. But, Node32 found several viruses (14) in server that already MaCaffe was installed.-S.A.H.

AntiVirus

For people looking for tight security, I recommend the new NIS (Norton Internet Security) 2008. I have tested it myself, and so far it hasn't failed. It is able to remove viruses that bitdefender is not, and out performs basicly all the competition (Panda beats it only once, and by 0.8 points). The firewall included is easily the most powerful of the bunch, recently an expert tested it, and, unlike the rest of the competition, he just COULD NOT get past it. 2008 is also, on average, 30% faster than previous versions.

-Matt

Here are a few recommended Anti-Viruses from my side:
#1 QuickHeal (Free trial available, and cheap cost)\
#2 Kaspersky
#3 AntiVir (Free)
#4 AVG (Free)

I found Quick Heal to be the best since its extremely light on resources and is pretty fast. It may not be as stringent as Norton or McAfee but is a decent buy and provides robust protection.

Personally i would prefer AVG. I have recently installed avg because i have been having problems installing norton. I am only usin the free trial but i am thinking of upgrading to the new one because in my opinion you cant go wrong with avg if you update it regularry and scan your pc often

Here are a few recommended Anti-Viruses from my side:
#1 QuickHeal (Free trial available, and cheap cost)\
#2 Kaspersky
#3 AntiVir (Free)
#4 AVG (Free)

I found Quick Heal to be the best since its extremely light on resources and is pretty fast. It may not be as stringent as Norton or McAfee but is a decent buy and provides robust protection.

O also dont forget that your any virus protection soft ware dosent protect you from evry virus you get on your personal computer that is why you should be scanning every file you download before you open and install the folder. I also suggest that you download lots of free anti-virus software ant try all different ones and which ever on you like best in your opinion you should use. You should also defrag your computer evry so often to make sure all your files are in there correct rightfull places and to make sure your computer is working in the fastest possible way. I think the new ANG anti-virus sortware has just come out aswell. I fort that 7.5 was really good so this should only be better because it is an improoved version with faster scanning and updating so your sytem is protected. And if you forget to scan your pc you can set reminders on some anti-virus programs that pop up at the time you set it reminding you to scan you files and computer.

I don't know more about anti-spyware/anti-virus, so I can not judge the best, also I was used an 'Adware Alert' which I was buy from adwarealert.Com and Its become fake and rogue, that affect my system and corrupt files too...

-reply by emily johnson

I currently perfere McAfee because i find the version i have dosen't ever cause any lagging. AVG is good but i find it causes lagg when starting you computer if you have alll the features on including the spyware scan. I find Norton is garbage now and is a hazzel to install. NOD32 is pretty good along with Kasperspy. I got advised by a CompITA A+ Certified friend and he said "McAfee is decent but I would perfere using NOD32 or Kasperspy." Hope this helps.

Buyer Beware

What ever kind of solfware you download can be incomplete.

You should buy from retail stores like office max.

You can verify if there the real thing or not you might save money on rebates to.

Sysmatic,mcafee,norton all require a upgrade from time to time.

-reply by Wayne Schrader

Talk about loaded questions. When it comes to A/V software, you'll find everyone has their own opinions on what's the best. Norton probably has one of the best detection engines out there, problem is its become so big and bloated over the years that it also reduces system performance by 20% or more. The latest Norton 360 isn't quite as bad in the resources department, but it is still a bit of hog. If you want the absolute best protection, the Norton product is your best bet.If you want top notch protection, but also don't want to slow your system down significantly, you can't beat Avast. Clocking in at between 2-4% system resources, Avast is very light on performance, unless its actively updating at the time, during which time the system will slow a bit. But this only occurs once a day for a minute or two, you'll get the message that the definitions have been updated and things go on as normal. Now with the latest update to 4.8, they've added full root-kit detection and removal as well as spyware protection. Avast looks to be placing itself into a position to supply full PC security and not just A/V. Definately one to watch and I recommend it to all my customers who do not currently have an up to date A/V program installed. - Free for 14 months at a time and it works well.Kaspersky is another one which is pretty good, not quite as light weight as Avast, but has a great detection engine. I'm in the fence on this product. Good detection with decent resource requirements, however it just doesn't seem to have the polish of some of the others.Just my $.02 worth on the subject. For the money, you can't beat Avast. Several of my corporate customers have even switched to their Professional version with good results.

When it comes to anti virus softwares everyone thinks differently. Every one's opinions are different. Well, here is what I think.I have tried McAfee, Norton, NOD32, and Kaspersky. Each one has ups and downs. McAfee consumes a lot of cpu resources like RAM. Norton is same. NOD 32 is not that good when it comes to identifying viruses. Kaspersky is again like a combination of NOD 32 and McAfee.Now I am going to try AVG 8. It is the new version and I hope that is better, because every one recommends AVG over many other virus guards.

It depends on what you want, really. The best free one in my opinion is AVG anti-virus in my opinion, as it's fast, easy to sue, and best of all, free. McAfee, I find, is one of the worst anti-virus softwares availible. It is slow, uses up a lot of ram, takes ages to load, treats the user like an idiot, and worst of all, once, when I was using the program WPE, a packet logger, to test one of my programs, it gone and deleted WPE without my permission, saying a "threat" had been "cured". Norton is slightly better, but still poor. Other smaller anti-virus programs are usually okay.

...easy to sue...

Sorry, that just made me chuckle. :)
On a more serious note, AVG updated to 8.0 recently, including the free anti-virus. I can't say I've personally noticed any changes, but I figure they updated it for a reason so woohoo! I do like how they keep hinting at you to go for their more expensive (i.e. not-free) version, though, cunningly hiding the free alternatives away in corners of the page out of people's way. Still, I guess they've got to make money some way so good for them. :P