xisto Community
Takumi-san

What Is The Best Anti-virus

Seriously, McAfee is the worst. Unfortunately, it came standard with my pc (I hate Dells, but I'm stuck with one until I get money for a mac), but when it got renewed a few months ago, it started deleting my windows components (no viruses were detected, just components were being called suspicious, such as the calculator). At this point, my pc is incapacitated.Oh so crazy. (by the way, i'm posting from a work pc).

For me, the best is Avast Professional Edition.It has a backup software, a Database actaliser and tons of features that I don't remember...It's really nice!!Regards, Jhin

I'm quite happy with what I have.PC Cillin Internet SecurityIt is very reliable and since I've had it i've never had a virus. My subscription runs out next month and I'm definately going to buy it again.It is updating all the time for new viruses and warns you as soon as you have a virus. It also stops internet traffic and won't let you even click on anything with a virus, just go into the program and delete it.I highly recommend PC Cillin.

In my opinion i think nod23 would work the best. It has more features then norton, mcafee, avg, pc tools antivirus and many othe rpopular brands. This company works around norton and mcafee to make there program even better. They test out viruses and use them aginst there program before letting them out on updates! They have a very easy to use interface and also is a very "lightweight" program that runs smoothly and dosent take long to start up. I recomment this program to everyone!!mike

[quote name='Simba49' date='Jun 10 2007, 02:27 AM' post='104967'

In my opinion i think nod23 would work the best. It has more features then norton, mcafee, avg, pc tools antivirus and many othe rpopular brands. This company works around norton and mcafee to make there program even better. They test out viruses and use them aginst there program before letting them out on updates! They have a very easy to use interface and also is a very "lightweight" program that runs smoothly and dosent take long to start up. I recomment this program to everyone!!

mike

I echo that. Shortly before I converted to Linux I used NOD32. Unlike Symantec and McAfee, the NOD team doesn't believe they need to add a load of fancy gradients and graphics to sell new versions of their software. It's a basic interface, and while there are some advanced options which most people wouldn't want to touch, the software documentation is very detailed yet concise and you could learn quite a bit.

Edited by Jewbacca (see edit history)

Hi;

For commercial choices I have tried both Norton & McAffee, my preference is Norton just seemed easier to use, the latest editions though don`t seem as good.

On two of my PC`s I now use AVG free, its fast slick and free and I have never been caught out with a virus, must remeber to donate some bucs to those guys or buy the commercial version, how much better is it than the freebie?

So if your looking for FREE and SAFE then you can`t go wrong with AVG!!!

That`s my twopenth worth (Old English Saying). <_<

In my opinion, the best antivirus is Avast Antivirus. Because of the following features -

Approx 4-5 MB RAM usage.

Very low CPU utilization.

User Friendly Interface.

Very Effective in 99% cases.

Last but not the least it's "Free" for Home users.

At last its up to you which anti virus you prefer. <_<

Edited by vidit (see edit history)

I was usign avg for awhile and honestly I loved it then al the sudden my pc wouldnt accept it anymore so i switched over to the antivirus, antispyware firewall program that aol gives you when you sign up for a free email account. Currently I am using antivir and honestly Im just not happy with it. Im not sure that it does what I want it to do. So Im thinking of switching to avant

I have tried my hands on a lot of them. Norton was the leader a few years back. But, nowadays with each new feature rich version, the application's hunger for system resources is increasing. Panda Antivirus is another good product. It uses Tru-Prevent technologies to do heuristic scans, is a bit less resource hungry and has a nice clean interface. AVG seems to be the least resource hungry.Different products have different advantages. You'll need to try them out so you can choose what best suites your needs. I personally haven't had one for months. It is primarily because of the performance issues associated with any anti-virus system. 1 GB Ram doesn't seem to be enough for smooth handling of an Anti Virus, Dreamweaver, Netbeans and multiple Visual Studio studio instances.