xisto Community
Takumi-san

What Is The Best Anti-virus

this maybe different, but i've tested almost every antivirus, and the result is that none of free antivirus-es could beat the payed ones. you may use any of them, but believe me, it's very risky if you are only depending on it (except there're not much activities around your computer such as connecting external storage device (flash disks, bluetooth, phone cable, etc.) and downloading. oh, even when you're in some chat room you might get some virus contained ads, right?).

The best anti-virus is ESET NOD32 then Kaspersky. NOD32 is the only anti-virus that got an Advanced+ rating in tests conducted at https://www.av-comparatives.org/

The most popular free anti-virus programs (AVG and Avast) have poor detection rates (82.82%, 87.46% respectively). Norton is notoriously bloated and takes forever to perform full systems scans.

I only recommend buying NOD32 (advanced users) or Kaspersky. It has been proven these products are better than the best sellers (Norton and McAfee)

I prefer Eset Smart Security(think NOD32 + firewall + antispam) for the all around protection, it is lightweight, has a awesome firewall, and is very easy to use.My second would be Avast!4 as it is free and supports themes(which is great if you have a custom desktop), they also have a Linux client out, which is good cause as Linux popularity increases more and more viri writers will start targeting it for their new viruses.

I have had tried, Norton, Mc Affe and PC Quillin,AVG is the best so far. less on CPU and extremely good at protecting your system.

I would also agree with these. I've also used kapaskery antivirus and Norton on my mac. An old uni friend use to recommend using the panda anti-virus (you'll have to google it). I think it has some license thing which means you can reuse it on other machines, thus saving money.

I'm using AVG for my Virus Protection paired up with Comodo Firewall and I haven't had any intrusions this far. Also, AVG has a very simple interface so its easy to use. My only complaint is the ammount of Memory the scans take up to run, I have to pause the scans in order to use the computer.

Just wanted to post a general comment here. I am still a bit worreid about which antivirus to choose. As I expected ZoneAlarm rated well, they have what I consider to be the best firewall, and that I have been using for quite some time now, without a single disappointment, although I wouldn’t recommend the free edition… Maybe the ZoneAlarm Firewall + Antispyware, but I just use it as a firewall. It’s anti-spyware feature didn’t really impress me, and the anti-virus, nothing at all….We had been obsessed with Norton for a long time here, and it was quite uncommon when we got on topic and said I didn’t use any of Norton’s products. I am growing to hate their stuff. Sorry! I mean, recently I installed the 2007 version just to see how it works, and was entirely disappointed that it didn’t find a single thing ,even though Windows had failed too boot up properly due to virus (and had to initialise safe-mood and a lot of stuff). Moreover, what upsets me more is that Symantec has taken over a great program of HD partitioning (PartionMagic) and was disappointed to see that they no longer provided any updates, barely cared to change the date and brand information…AVG was fine but had some false positives, together with Avast, but I am happy with Avast. I didn’t quite like NOD32 due to certain features such as the always-on feature of scanning files, it’s not much system-consuming but it is… but I was really impressed with it’s heuristic techniques, totally awesome.One last thing (this is getting too much haha) I would never ever recommend using two anti-viruses simultaneously on the computer. A firewall and different brand anti-virus and different brand anti-spyware / adware is acceptable, but not two of the same… I have my reasons why ( got tired of writing everything up lol).

The best antivirus program is definately Avg. But even the best antivirus if not updated is still useless.
A word of advice would be to update your antivirus at least weekly.
AVG is also the best antivirus because you are able to update your antivirus without necesarilly having an internet connection.
You can go to a cyber Cafe and download a comprehensive virus definition update to your flash disk and then take it home and use it to update you antivirus.
This is easy to do,
To get a how to guide on how to do this just leave me a comment or a message and I will be glad to reply you.
To download the latest AVG go to Free A.V.G. download

I second what Biziman said. AVG is the one to go for. I used to use the free version and then I switched to paid. Sometimes, however, I feel it blocks too much content on my computer, often safe applications, and I need to turn off the protection before continuing... But it's better safe than sorry...

Nod32 of course!correctly configured it has a very high security rate,it updates even 3 time a day sometimes with tiny updates for the virus database,if you have the security suite your security gets to a very cool level,it does not caths fake viruses,and dont claim too much memory or procesor (just some times if you get the options to the higest security levels but its less than other systems)

I had used AVG for over a year and had always been one of its fanatic proponents. Lately, however, a friend of mine, who also had AVG installed on his system, got into some serious trouble with a virus (he insisted it was a virus, although I think the behavior he described was more of a worm). Anyway, he tried over 6 different antivirus applications, including some online scanners, but Kaspersky ( http://usa.kaspersky.com/ ) was the only one to identify the malware, delete it successfully, and restore the system to a reasonably working condition. I've been trying Kaspersky for a couple of weeks now, using the free trial ( http://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/ ) which gives you the entire functionality of the licensed version for 30 days -- and I must admit it's amazing. It's very low on system resources (yes, lower than AVG itself), it offers the same level of protection you'd expect from any major antivirus, and I hardly even know that it's running on my computer, even though I have a fairly old one with low system specifications. You might want to give it a try. I definitely like what I've seen of it so far.

i think the best antivirus is AVGbut Mcafee is also good, but i prefer using AVG because my friend recommend me to use itand he also said that Norton is not a good anti virus, so i don't think we should use Norton as our anti virus

I have norton antivirus, its finds pretty much every virus or attempted hack on my computer...so far i thinks its the best antivirus i've used. avg works pretty well too, and it uses little computer resources.

Seems there are really lots of anti virus topics on both Xisto and Xisto and I guess on all other forums as well. As always I'll repeat myself, personally I don't know which is best, but I would recommend this:if you can pay, get NOD32 if you can't pay use Avast, home edition which is free. :mellow:The best way is not to use any antivirus and don't get in trouble in the first place, by opening unknown files, but of course it's your risk, those "nude-paris-hilton.exe" - you really want to open it, don't you? :PSpyware is much more annoying as it's easier to catch it.. :wub: