xisto Community
xboxrulz1405241485

Windows Internet Explorer 7 Vs. Mozilla Firefox 2

I have a Celeron D 2.4, overclocked at 3ghz.768mb of DDR ram (PC3200).nVidia 256mb GF5500 (memory and core clock overclocked).Windows XP Home SP1.ADSL 1.5mb/256kb (soon to be ADSL2+).Opera still renders noticeably slower than FireFox and generally functions slower.Pity it doesn't have any themes I don't like either :P, then again I haven't found any for FireFox that really hit the hammer on the nail either.

I don't know why you say so, but as I have Windows XP and Arch Linux and Opera is much faster on Windows XP, just see the test results and conclusions on the url about browserSpeed, I did a lot of different tests myself some time ago for what I said above of these two posts, the css, js and big html source files, the best results I got was on Konqueror using KDE, I had a site with all the results similar to this, but it isn't up and don't think it will be due to my studies.

http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html

http://celtickane.com/labs/web-browser-javascript-benchmark/

http://www.opera.com/blogs/news/

and. etc. the Internet is full of different tests and results, here are the facts, I just don't understand how can you get different results. In my opinion, you are just used to firefox and when using Opera you imagine it being much slower or you have some kind of smooth scrolling option on and stuff.

To summarise

So overall, Opera seems to be the fastest browser for Windows. Firefox is not faster than Internet Explorer, except for scripting, but for standards support, security and features, it is a better choice. However, it is still not as fast as Opera, and Opera also offers a high level of standards support, security and features.

On Linux, Konqueror is the fastest for starting and viewing basic pages on KDE, but as soon as script or images are involved, or you want to use the back or forward buttons, or if you use Gnome, Opera is a faster choice, even though on KDE it will take a few seconds longer to start. Mozilla and Firefox give an overall good performance, but their script, cache handling and image-based page speed still cannot compare with Opera.

On Mac OS X, Opera and Safari are both very fast, with Safari 2 being faster at starting and rendering CSS, but with Opera still being distinguishably faster for rendering tables, scripting and history (especially compared with the much slower Safari 1.2). Camino 0.8 is fast to start, but then it joins its sisters Mozilla and Firefox further down the list. Neither Mozilla, Firefox nor IE perform very well on Mac, being generally slower than on other operating systems.

I myself feel the difference on my system, usually have over 12 tabs opened and change between them frequently, the only thing I dislike about Opera is that when it is turned on on Windows XP for over 48 hours without a restart it eats a lot of memory and works quite slower.

If you really want to know some bad things about Firefox with proved facts, just read the Firefox myths: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Edited by Quatrux (see edit history)

Well I don't often use internet explorer and it's by far the fastest at rendering on my pc and functions much quicker, followed by firefox, followed by opera.I haven't used any others yet and Opera doesn't us emuch less ram than FireFox (although I was told different), i'm still looking for a less resource alternative to IE.

Mozilla Firefox 2 is better! Its way faster, has less errors and is fully costimizable. I suggest you download Mozilla Firefox 2 and Google toolbar.
This gives you a small but powerful control panel (unlike Internet Explorer 7 which with all the useful controls can take up half the page.
Also I have experienced the following errors with Internet Explorer:

-No pages (page cannot be found on all pages, with full Internet connections and no restrictions from an antivirus)

-Crashing on new tab (no matter how hard I tried, after the first week, I started getting a program closing message. "Internet Explorer 7 has has some errors and had to shut down")

-Crashing on start up (After a while of the no new tab I started getting the same message when I opened the program... It did mention something about a dynamically loaded library .dll file but it looked fine)

So far I have not received any errors from firefox 2 and I strongly suggest you get this great explorer!

Thanks For reading,
~Sparkx~
Resources:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17621/internet-explorer-downloads
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Internet Explorer 7 does not work good with FTP!!! With the recent release of IE7 (basically pushed out and forced on you, aaarrrgg), those whom used IE6 as a FTP client will notice some changes and issues. Here are the highlights of the changes: * The URL syntax with embedded username and password (ie.  usr%3Apswd%40ftp.domain.com) and similar syntax is no longer supported. * In order to "Login As..." there are a few more clicks involved, and a new window must be opened. * Actually, IE7 itself does not support a non-anonymous login at all... you must open the site in Windows Explorer. Solutions 1) Continue to open FTP sites using IE7, but if you need "Login As...", do the following: Click on Page in the upper right corner, then click "Open FTP Site in Windows Explorer". When site opens in Windows Explorer, then click File, Login As... Enter your username and password, click Log On button. 2) You can save a few clicks by opening the FTP site directly in Windows Explorer. There are many ways of opening Explorer, like simply opening "My Computer" then type your FTP URL in the address bar. Like  ftp.sitename.com , then if you need to logon as, open File, Logon As... and enter username password, Log On button, as above. 3) Recommended Solution - DON'T USE IE OR EXPLORER. I have never liked the use of Internet Explorer as an FTP client. As an IT manager, the issues caused by this have created more calls to my help desk than any other issue. IE is just about the worst FTP client I can think of. So, what to use? Well, there are many free FTP clients that do a much better job.

Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)

iv used both internet explorer 7 and firefox 2, i heard that firefox is more secure than ie; however, i have found that ie displays my website quite nicely while firefox makes it look like trash. i do like how firefox colors the code with the "show source" feature which i find helpful in some situations.

Firefox has some known issues of memory leaks.
hence if you keep it running it may use up a huge amount of RAM. so the trick is to exit at some time and fireup firefox again. Or the alternative is Opera. which is faster and remains faster after a long time...

IE all versions are a big no. since they even do not acknowledge the huge security lapses that there are in it. Nor do they relase any patches..

If you are an IE 6 User.. try this URL, which would crash your IE definitely.. and if it doesnt please do post me..

link (remember be carefull since IE-6 WILL Crash)

All IE7 users are safe :)

Why has my IE7 stopped working?

I have been using IE for years (as a dummy I may add) but, due to the time it was taking to find stuff, I installed Firefox alongside. Now I'm not saying that this was the cause but all of a sudden my IE7 has stopped working a month or so after Firefox was installed ('Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage')whilst Firefox is still working fine. Problem is that some of my other programmes like IncrediMail have saved files which only seem to work with IE - so I now can't access them, or click on links from that site (I now have to copy and paste), etc. Have tried all sorts of things like re-installing IE and ensuring IE is my default browser. Diagnostics show no connection problems with IE - but the fact is it just doesn't work! Any ideas anyone? Gratitude in advance!

-question by EmCee

Why has my IE7 stopped working?

I have been using IE for years (as a dummy I may add) but, due to the time it was taking to find stuff, I installed Firefox alongside. Now I'm not saying that this was the cause but all of a sudden my IE7 has stopped working a month or so after Firefox was installed ('Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage')whilst Firefox is still working fine. Problem is that some of my other programmes like IncrediMail have saved files which only seem to work with IE - so I now can't access them, or click on links from that site (I now have to copy and paste), etc. Have tried all sorts of things like re-installing IE and ensuring IE is my default browser. Diagnostics show no connection problems with IE - but the fact is it just doesn't work! Any ideas anyone? Gratitude in advance!

-question by EmCee

(P.S. The link on the first post did not work)I still use all browsers, IE less because I'm using Linux more. I prefer Firefox and Opera, they are both good. Konqueror and Safari lack in some areas, and Konqueror is more confusing to use. Opera is very fast to launch, Firefox takes a bit longer (probably because of the extensions and stuff).We should be comparing Firefox 3 and IE 8 now, but IE 8 hasn't been released as a stable gold product yet.