xisto Community
ahsanrao

Folder Without A Name ... Trick :D

hei guys do u know how to make a folder without any name :)ye try this and tell me if its working or not :)right click->make new folder->use backspace to remove the name->press alt+255.-->press enter.use number keys which are on right side of keyboard.

It works, though technically it isn't a nameless folder, it's just a folder named with a non-alphanumeric character. Do you have any practical use for this or it's just for the sake of curiosity?

There are many such tricks that have already been posted in these forums. Have a look around, son and don't forget to search before you post.In any case, I don't think it works in Win XP, Server 2003 and Vista. Could anyone check and confirm please?

I had no idea about that little trick, that will be fun to play with to burn a few minutes of time :).Also I just attempted this following the instructions in the original post on my desktop (using Windows XP Home - Service Pack 1) and it works just fine from my end.Heh heh, cool little trick :).

Do you have any practical use for this or it's just for the sake of curiosity?

In order to have a directory where my wife will not go, because she will not se the directory name. He-he, all the downloaded photos you don't want to be seen, you put them in a no-name directory, if you crawl the disk too fast you will not see that it's not empty and it's clickable. (is it clickable ?)

Indeed the folder name is not empty. Instead you're using a special character which resembles 'space'.

Confirmed that it works in vista. Even after you rename it and remove the character, it stays like that.

Ok feature Posted Image

In order to have a directory where my wife will not go, because she will not se the directory name. He-he, all the downloaded photos you don't want to be seen, you put them in a no-name directory, if you crawl the disk too fast you will not see that it's not empty and it's clickable. (is it clickable ?)

For that you can just keep these hidden. :)
And for some more security, put them into some weird C:\windows\system32\tmp323542\toolIE\ folder.
And for even more security, you can RAR these.
And for some more security, you give the RAR file a password.
Then rename it to WINSYS32.DLL (these names scare newbies away), burn in to a CD and keep it together with those games you never play.

Ok, all this may seem a little extreme, but you know women...

ALT+255 is for special character that represents blank space. so you are creating the folder with name as space. this can wven be done by pressing space bar ..... a single ley stroke inplace of 4 keystrokes....will save some energy and increase life of the keyboard. :P

Hmm... It doesn't work on my XP. When I enter alt+255, a "y" with an umlaut (two dots) on top of it shows up. Definitely not an empty space. Maybe I have installed some special characters that US users don't usually install?

it's nice, but useless if u ask me :P . @abartar: windows won't accept a folder with only a space in it@KDEWolf: that's extreme and totaly not efficient. What about seperated user account, file encryption and some weird folder structure ? Or maybe seperated computers :P .

Or maybe seperated computers

We have separated computers. And everybody prefers typing on my keyboard, so I am currently experiencing this kind of problem. Of course, I have nothing secret, so it's just for fun. And I use truekrypt when I happen to really have things I don't want to be seen. :P

it's nice, but useless if u ask me :P . @abartar: windows won't accept a folder with only a space in it
@KDEWolf: that's extreme and totaly not efficient. What about seperated user account, file encryption and some weird folder structure ? Or maybe seperated computers :P .

long before.. this was not useless..
this trick generates an unerasable folder w/ an invisible name down the days of win98 and below..

back then... when the admin status for windows is not a big deal.. anyone can wipeout your entire harddisk with the command
del "*.*"

today.. i guess it's a little way to obselete..

on early windows, this will produce a non-clickable folder [includes early windows XP]

HaiThanks for these trick but I have a question that ..... If are on client computer and we have no power of right click option then how we can do this.-dharmjeet kumar