xisto Community
nightfox1405241487

Awesome Remote Control Software!

I found this thing called "LogMeIn.com" in an advertisement on myspace. Normally, I avoid MySpace ads, but this one is exceptional. Right now, I'm sitting in my living room on my laptop typing this on my computer in my room! :)Using my internet connection, I just go to LogMeIn.com and connect to my computer - ANYWHERE in the world! It's free, and secure (256 bit encryption) and it's great! You can transfer files, and more! This is amazing for free! Since I leave my computer on, I can now easily access my computer from anywhere in the world! It's great!Oh, for those of you who are extreme security freaks like me, here's the layered security:1. Access logmein.com > transfer to 256 bit encryption security as soon as you press <ENTER>2. Login on logmein.com with your username (email) and password (still 256 bit encryption)3. Login using the user account on your computer (still, 256 bit encryption)That's pretty secure. :)It's free, and you get a free pro trial as well. Go check it out! :D Especially if you require remote access like you're actually sitting at your computer!![N]F

Yes, however... basically, you also give "LogMeIn.com" full access to your computer. They secure everything, they manage everything, but they have access everywhere. Do you know who are these guys, how can we be sure they will never use the info they get ?

Sounds interesting but who tells you that they dont access your computer???? if they do, they could do whatever they want.Best regards,

I have found a simple solution to that problem. It could get a bit annoying after a while, but everytime you want to use the computer from a different computer, physically lock the computer before you leave - that way when you connect, you must enter your password to continue. If you login to the computer (via logmein.com) with a different account (maybe one that isn't a administrator (cause that defeats the whole purpose)) they won't know the password of the logged in account.Then don't forget to lock the computer when you are finished, before you disconnect. This way they can't access your computer using the username and password they have stored!There is only one loophole, if the computer isn't locked and they connect using the username/password - they will have access. You will know if they connect while you are using the computer, cause the dialog will appear saying 'computer connected from ...'. But if they connect while you aren't looking, or left the computer for a while, It won't work. So really you need to lock the computer everytime you leave it! Or, set the screen saver to lock the computer after 1 minute - that could solve the problem!Hopefully that solution is good enough for everyone that wants to use this wonderful tool!-jimmy

Being a bit paranoia when using the internet is a good thing, but don't try to overdo it :P . I hardly doubt that the makers of LogMeIn.com are going to connect to your computer to access your data. The company was founded in 2003 in since then they haven't abused the possibility (if this even is possible, because passwords are probably encrypted before they are saved into the database).

While I'm not a fan of many of the website based remote utilities, they do have their place in providing support to others, when both parties can log in and authorize the usage. For actually connecting to systems remotely, should the systems be Windows based, I prefer using the built in remote desktop utility. If you've ever tried it, its fast and provided you're using a reasonable password on your Windows box, provides decent security. (Don't go use the name of your dog or birthday or some just as simple). Beyond that, when the need arises, VNC isn't bad, not quite as efficient as RDP, but as fast or faster than Norton's PC Anywhere.........program is a dog imho.

No tool is required to access your computer from any where in world on net ... Just follow the given steps..just you need to make some

setting in your control panel (This is only for windows users).

Windows Setup

1. start->control panel->Administrative Tool->Services

2. Just start the Terminal services.

Start accessing your machine from remote computer

1. Programs->accesories->communication->Remote desktop connection

2. Give you machine IP and connect.

....Is it not simple without using any Tool :(

for Linux machine ... VNC is the best...

. start->control panel->Administrative Tool->Services

This is for Windows 2003 only, I think.As far as I know, this feature is not included in Windows 2000 nor in Windows XP.
Yordan

I dont know, personally if I was going to use a pay program for the ability to remote connect easily I would probably go with something like PCAnywhere. Sure you need to install it on the remote pc too but then at least you know that you are using a secure connection that other people don't have any connection to. I'm with the others in feeling a little iffy about giving a website full access to my pc. I know it's highly unlikely they would use it improperly but it only takes one employee having a bad day that randomly chooses your pc to mess with to cause a lot of problems for you.

Start->control panel->Administrative Tool->Services

This is for Windows 2003 only, I think.

I do most of my Windows stuff on Win 2000 Pro SR4. It has that much (to Services), but it does not have "Terminal Services." Instead, it has "Telnet." That provides a primitive access (directory list, cd, put, get), but you can't run programs through it. I believe I read somewhere that Vista has full remote desktop access, but I haven't seen it.

The folks at PC Stats have a page titled Beginners Guides: Remote Access to Computers which appears to address the problem pretty thoroughly. Note that Virtual Network Computing is unencrypted!

One Linux "equivalent" is Desktop Sharing, though there are a lot of alternatives in the Linux world. Desktop Sharing is secure (encrypted). The link to alternatives are for openSuSE, which is where I do most of my Linux work. I have set two computers up with a shared desktop, and found both keyboards and mice live. Things don't happen quite as fast on the "remote" desktop, but it's really very close to being on the home machine. If you don't need the full capabilities of a shared desktop, SSH is a secure shell login (very common), and SSH -X lets you run X-windows (GUI) software on the master computer, and have it displayed graphically on the remote machine. This mode is both encrypted and compressed, so the graphical data transfer is fast. If you read documentation on X-windows, be aware that the terms "client" and "server" are reversed from their usage in the rest of the computer world.

Also be aware that if you want to access your computer from a truly remote location, you need to know its IP address, and you my also have to tweak your firewall (You have one, right?) to get it to accept incoming traffic. In the Linux world, that is an integral part of the encryption preliminaries.

I have used LogMeIn before and I found it to be quite slow and the software that you need running on the remote computer to be a bit memory intensive during startup. I know someone who uses LogMeIn on their Mac because they have family who troubleshoot for them and they say it is great.I am not concerned about unauthorized access to my computer because I do not store very personal files on it and there is always System Restore for most things.As for Linux, can't you use open a Telnet server and telnet to the IP address of the remote system and administrate from there?

Ya, all my computers are just remotely controlled over Remote Desktop Connection. It's a lot safer and I have total control of my computer. It's free, it comes with Windows and I know that no one is going to sniff around. (To my best abilities of course).I love controlling every single computer in my house, especially if I need to do something there. I just take my laptop and just access all the desktops when I need it and am too lazy to move my butt over there.xboxrulz

Ya, all my computers are just remotely controlled over Remote Desktop Connection.

Which operating system do you have on your computers ? I thought that Remote Desktop Connexion was only available on Windows 2003 servers ? Or is it also available on Windows XP ?Regards
Yordan