xisto Community
m107

Best Antivirus

We have small office (about 20 PCs) and limited Internet bandwidth, so i want to install that AntiVirus on each computer.I don't want when AntiVirus update the virus library connect directly to Internet from each computer because that just waste bandwidth.I want have a server that automatic download new virus library (use crontab, etc). If that not possible, manually download is ok.. as long can do update through a local PC / Server.I read a lot of topics about AntiVirus in some forums and most of them recommend to use NOD32. So, is that possible in NOD32 and can you give me some tips about how is the best to implement that?If that not possible in NOD32, so what others (AntiVirus) do you recommend? and if you still recommend to use NOD32 but have other opinion.. please let me know

With the Administrator version of NOD32 you should be able to update locally. I only have the personal versions, and a slow connection, so i just download the virus defs on one computer and then copy them to the other. it seems to work fine. tho not suitable for a large-scale application.

We are using Symantec Anti virus corporate edition (SAV CE).

It has the server and the client side. The definitions needs to be updated on the server. The clients gets automatically updated from the server. You can even schedule it to download the definitions on the server at a particular time of the day when your bandwidth is relatively free.

Some of the main features are:

- Audit Network feature: includes a feature in the Symantec System Center that audits your network and reports whether each of the computers on the network has antivirus software installed and running.

- Client Roaming Options: The Symantec System Center in Symantec AV 8.1 includes a graphical user interface for configuring client roaming. You can find the Client Roaming Options dialog by right-clicking the server or server group, and clicking All tasks > Symantec AntiVirus > Client Roaming Options.

- Individual client configuration: you can configure individual client settings if necessary. You can even install the client from the server. not only that you can schedule to install the client on logon and that too in the background.

- Offline client indication: The SSC can now display clients with a dimmed icon if they are offline.

You may see the complete details at SAV features

You have not mentioned about your budget as SAV CE is not free but is definitely good.

A lot of companies here and our university uses F-Secure Internet Security here. Also, I have it on my personal computer.It's a really good software, handles all your basic security needs (antivirus, anti-spyware, firewall) in one nice package. The updates are really fast and the you have the ability to centrally load the definitions.

I must say AVG...the one the only for me!!Lol I contract work a lot and have AVG on my laptop..on the first day at one job I was on I met a really ignorant and stupid IT manager who wouldnt let me connect to "HIS" network unless I installed Norton and did a full sweep of my system with it..I ofc assured him my laptop had all genuine software on it and it was fully protected and scanned the day before and it was fine..we kinda had a big fight about it..he phoned his boss..I phoned mine..I won ;) first thing I do is map some drives to "HIS" server so that I can do my job ( I was there to make a trouble ticket system for "HIS" team that "HE" couldnt get to work hence why I was there;)So I connect to "HIS" server and mark a folder to copy to my D drive so I can install the software..as it starts copy AVG pops up and starts to scan the network share ive connected too....cut a long story short I found 19 virus on "HIS" server with a FREE virus killer AVG!!! mainly older word macro virusses sitting in users home areas.Norton just went right over them!! one was really nasty that could rename jpeg files and this was a design company so it could have done a lot of damage if they executed it;(God knows how much a month this muppet was paying to Norton...I actually mentioned it to his bosses in my final report that it took me half a day to clear up the virus issues the company had because I was worried about "MY" laptop :D)))Ever since I sing the praises of AVG as much as I can..I install it on any pc i work on and make freinds and family use it also..

If your computers were all connected to the internet through your server then you could technically just have the anti-virus on the server.Just make sure you have your OS with the latest security updates, keep track of what employees bring to work from flash drives, and stay away from bad websites.People say its easy to get virus straight off a web page but that only happens when you go to a website you really shouldnt be going too.Also don't allow the computers to access the p2p protocol.

You did not say if you want a free or a commercial antivirus.With Norton antivirus you can setup "don't download automatically the updates", manually download the update on a shared folder, and then manually install it on each of your 20 computers.And you can also (this is probably an extra-charge feature) install a local server from which your local computers will automatically download the virus updates.

Hello justme,

I recommend you to use a spywareremover. Having an antivirus or firewall program is not enough to protect you from spyware, because it can find its way onto your computer disguised as legitimate applications, slipping past your antivirus and firewall protection. Once infected, your PC can get bogged down by hidden processes, unwanted pop ups, web browser hijackers and many other symptoms, and your personal information can be exposed.

Lorenza

You did not say if you want a free or a commercial antivirus.With Norton antivirus you can setup "don't download automatically the updates", manually download the update on a shared folder, and then manually install it on each of your 20 computers.
And you can also (this is probably an extra-charge feature) install a local server from which your local computers will automatically download the virus updates.

As far as I know, AVG free can be updated off a local server if you configure it to do so. I use it because 1. Antivirus should be free... viruses are too wild on the net, 2. It's very good for free! It has some features even Norton doesn't have.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Do not plagiarize. Use quote tags and contribute with your own words. Warning issued.

My antivirus software is Shaw Secure provided by F-Secure. I do recommend AVG Anti-Virus though.I have used Norton AntiVirus before and it has worked great. If you want, you can try Norton AntiVirus for 30 days.I really do recommend AVG AntiVirus.

I use both McAfee VirusScan and AVG Free, but personally i believe that AVG is the best one, because even the Free version is always up to date. sometimes, i purposely put homemade viruses on my computer to see which one detects it first, and usually AVG beats it by weeks. heck, i've even installed perfect keylogger on my computer and AVG beat McAfee clean. As well, when AVG updates, it usually updates with a small 100kb file, then about every month or so it will update with a multiple megabyte file, but it's worth it.