xisto Community
demolaynyc

Cable Modem Keeps Rebooting

Everyday my cable modem keeps disconnecting me. I get disconnected at least 3 times a day. I tried reformatting my computer to see if any viruses is causing it. After reformatting it worked but after upgrading it to service pack 4, it happened again. Is it the computer that's causing this or the cable modem. The cable modem is pretty new, it's only 4 months old. Can someone help me with this?

So you are not really sure what's causing the disconnect? It could be either computer or modem...Usually it's the modem/router causing the problem. You have a router connected to the modem right?When you get disconnected, look at the lights on the modem/router. Are they all ok (usually green)? If you see any red/orange lights, something is wrong. Make sure the green lights are on the usual places (internet, wireless, ethernet, etc.). To be sure, take a look at where all the green lights are when it's working properly. When you get disconnected again, look at the router/modem and see which lights are on/off.If you know someone who has a modem/router that you can borrow from, try using their's and see if you can get a connection. You might have to configure the settings on it to fit your ISP if a login/password is required for the router.Have you tried contacting your Internet Service Provider (ISP) yet? They can usually run a quick test and determine if the problem is on their side or your side.

I had troublewith my cable modem for about a month. Started happening after a big storm. TRurned out to be a damaged cable line to the house. Just enought to kill the digital signal but not enough to really impact my analog cable TV reception. I'd either get a no signal indicator or a trying to connect indicator on the modem LEDs. You should call your cable company and have them check it out. Comcast's broadband service is about $50 a month here so as far as I'm concerned, it should never have a problem. There shouldn't be a service charge for having a technition come check it out. Even calling the cable company, they can check to see if there are connection errors from your account. vujsa

I have DSL, so I don't know much about cable... try vujsa's advice and call the cable company & get your line checked. It's very rare that a router and/or modem will malfunction like that. With routers, just try upgrading to the latest version of firmware.[N]F

Well i called the cablevision guys and they told me that i shouldn't use more than one splitter to connect the main cable to the cable modem. and i don't have any router so what i'm planning is that i move the cable modem to the living room where the first splitter is located and connect the modem to a wireless router and get a long phone line modem because i use a broadband phone. the two rooms who have computers would have wireless usb adapters and they're like 50 feet away from the living room. how would the signal be like if i did it this way? would it be the same speed because i have no choice but to place the cable modem to the living room. or should i use ethernet cables and let it run across the house to connect to the pcs. which one would be faster?

hi Demolaynyc! :o I had a similar problem with a Motorola SurfBoard 4200 cable modem. Everytime you go to a website that contains "advanced" stuff like pop-up ads the whole computer restarts. :o at first I suspected the software but even after buying XP+SP2 and Norton it kept happening. :D I knew it had something to do with the USB because connecting the modem through the network slot worked ok. I suspected it was a problem with my hardware (the USB "hub" inside) because I brought an older computer and it worked fine. but after going to Start->right click on My Computer->Properties->Advanced->Startup and Recovery frame Settings button->System Failure frame removing the [V] from the Automatically Restart checkbox, I was able to avoid the computer restart. then after the Internet Explorer crashed I sent an "Error Report" to Microsoft and they blamed the modem :o This was strange for me because the modem (including the USB port) worked fine with another computer of mine (an older computer). ;) I tried to download new drivers for the modem but to no avail because Motorola decided it's a "dis-continued product" and they don't support it anymore. all the drivers I did find didn't help. :o I was just about to start a long battle with the hardware shop when I decided to try the modem once more...so I called the cable company for the 1000 time and insisted they will send another modem for me to test. and lo and behold after a lot of shouting someone came, changed the modem into a Thomson (another modem manufacturer) and it worked like a charm! :o So what's the explanation? Windows decided that it's not so bad if Windows Updates (these security patches) doesn't support old modems anymore and causes the Motorola SB4200 modem driver not to function. The cable company knows that but doesn't want to give new modems to everyone so just insists on the home user working through the network cable slot. and all the while they blame everything from a power supply over-heat to a worm. :P So what should you do? insist on getting another modem or work through the network cable. good luck, hope this helps! :P

Yes your right my ISP has repleced all old Motorola modems with new Thompson models and lots of users are much happier with the service now..It seems they just had overwhelming evidence that it was better to replace them all than keep getting complaints about crappy modems :DMark420;)

I had similar problems when I used to have a cable connection. My connection worked perfectly for a couple of months but then started regularly disconnecting. I first blamed my ISP, which is known to have many problems, but then I heard that the T-splitter could be causing the problem. I changed my cabling and hooked my TV to another outlet and voila it started working lot better. However the issue did not vanish... The line kept disconnecting when I used P2P software. The most likely reason was that my ISP kept disconnecting me because of the P2P traffic, which of course they denied or because of the heavier load.

Hmm i think it could be a firmware problem.Did it recently happen or has it always happened?You might want to check the modems log (if it has one) to try and find the problem. It might be related to your operating system something related to service pack 4. You could check the microsoft website/knowledge base to try and find something.Other than that just check if your firmware is up to date.-HellFire

However the issue did not vanish... The line kept disconnecting when I used P2P software. The most likely reason was that my ISP kept disconnecting me because of the P2P traffic, which of course they denied or because of the heavier load.

What? I've never heard of an ISP blocking P2P traffic before. luckily, everything is open on my ISP's network. P2P, 80, oh it's all good! :D

[N]F

I had the same problem I just keep disconnecting me every 10 minutes I called the customer service I told them whats going on they ran few tests then she said your frequency has changed so she helped me through to sort it out...Always call the customer service first force them to solve the problem instead of looking for a answer without knowing whats the problem-yash

router dropping computerCable Modem Keeps RebootingOk, here is my problem...I have comcast.Both of my computers upstairs are connected directly to the modem/router.My computer that is downstairs is wireless.None of my computers have XP.I connect to the modem/router using Intel proset - the computers upstairs windows connects them.At least once a day I get a notice that I am not connected to the internet.I was having this problem before and insisted that comcast come out. They did and at first tried to tell me that it was my driver, UNTIL I showed them that the computers upstairs which are directly connected to the router are having the same issue. (ALL THREE have driver issues.??)What I would see in the bottom right of my task bar (on my computer and the others upstairs) is a tiny TV looking icon with a v looking attenea above and a yellow circle over it saying I was not connected.AND After showing them that I could connect to an unsecure network in my neighborhood no problem, they reluctantly decided to change out my router/modem. When they were trying to hook everything up they had problems with the router automatically finding us and had to call in to the office for them to "force connect" it. The customer service tech on the phone kept insisting to these field techs that we were not comcast customers - of which we are and have been for years. They finally connected us. There were no issues and every thing seemed fine BUT... We are having the issue again.I get booted from my router/modem - (ALL computers in the house - the ones that are plugged in to the router/modem too.My computer is able to connect me to another in the neighborhoodI have to go upstairs and unplug the router/modem - wait 5 sec and then plug back in.Wait a few seconds for the modem/router to power up - then I am good.Sometimes I am not good and I have to repeat that step a few more times before we are good again till the next day. I have noticed that it can happen at various times of the day, but mostly happens at about 3:30pm in the afternoon.Any ideas anyone?I know if I call comcast they will blame my drivers again. But if it was my drivers, how then can I connect NO PROBLEM to the unsecure network in the neighborhood?Also able to connect to some sites that comcast does not get when I connect to the unsecure network.Thanx-question by rwdy2

Maybe your signal is not as strong.  I have Comcast too and I get a lot of dropouts during the rainy season.  I use two splitters and I'm finding out I may be degrading the signal to the point where it's unusable.  I also have to keep rebooting my modem and router.  Sometimes it will only work if I disconnect the actual source from the modem, then re-connect.  If you're using a splitter (even one), make sure it's a high quality splitter (high bandwidth, low loss).  You might also consider using a signal booster.I'm considering the following:Motorola Signal Booster 4-Port BDA-S4For a couple of years, I've been blaming it on Comcast, but my TV signal never suffers during these droupouts, only my internet. So...  it's probably the signal strength;  something the TV may be able to deal with, but not the modem.

- QwertyV

-reply by qwertyv

Everyday my cable modem keeps disconnecting me. I get disconnected at least 3 times a day. I tried reformatting my computer to see if any viruses is causing it. After reformatting it worked but after upgrading it to service pack 4, it happened again. Is it the computer that's causing this or the cable modem. The cable modem is pretty new, it's only 4 months old. Can someone help me with this?

i think there is some thing wrong with your modemor a file of the port might be missing
its called a winsock i think
actually antiviruses keep blocking them or sending them to the virus vault
so i think restoring the file would help you
i too had the same problem and i downloaded the system files and its now better again