xisto Community
saggi

Can We Get More Than One IP On A PC With Dial-Up

no, you cant.however, you can have as-many local IP's as you like.

i wana to ask that can we get more than one ip using dail up internet is it possible

I'm just asking, but why would you want more external IPs on a dial-up connection? But to point out something I noticed when I had AOL: When I surfed though AOL's junky excuse of a browser through the client, I had one IP but when I surfed though Internet Explorer (this was WAYYY back in the day) I had another. My external IP with IE was usualy 172.XXX.XXX.XXX and the one through the AOL client (which really hit AOL's proxy servers) was 6X.XXX.XXX.XXX. From what I think was going on, when surfing through the AOL client, I was hitting AOL's proxy server farm and outside the client, I was actually "outside" the AOL network so I didn't hit a proxy & was free on the web.

So if you have AOL, you have two external IPs... the Internal proxy IP & an external IP that's all yours (for your session).

[N]F

Just set up internet conection sharing.

I'd also like to know why you would want multiple IP addresses on a dial-up connection. Every time you dial in you'll usually get a different IP address anyway, so if you need to change it for some reason (i.e., getting blocked from something based on your ip address) just terminate the connection and restart it.You could always install 2 modems, 2 phone lines, and dial in to your ISP with both at the same time, then multipath the connection (or whatever the hell windows calls it). Your ISP may not like this, however...fortunately if your ISP is your phone company, and they figure out what you're doing, they tend to look the other way on it, especially if a faster internet option is not available in your area from your telco. I wouldn't try this with any ISP except your telco, since anyone else won't know that both of the numbers using the connection belong to the same customer.Just an idea.

The question has been asked exactly one year ago, I hope that saggi has already obtained an answer.By the way, ADSL modems are today very common, and now, if you have two NIC's, there is no problem having two IP addresses on your computer. Of course, I still see no interest having two different IP addresses on the same PC on the same network.Of course, having two different IP's on two separate network (the world wide web and your home network for instance) has an interest, having fast transfers between the systems or the printers or the disks on your home network, and having the normal (very slow in my own case) internet connection toward the open world.

The question has been asked exactly one year ago, I hope that saggi has already obtained an answer.

LOL, wow...that will teach me to look at dates more carefully. This site needs a feature to automatically lock topics after a few months of inactivity I think...

LOL, wow...that will teach me to look at dates more carefully. This site needs a feature to automatically lock topics after a few months of inactivity I think...

That is a good idea but consider the pros and cons:
PROS
1. less spam
2. shorter topics
3. easy maintenance

CONS
1. "automatic close" affects unsolved topics, some questions need many years.
2. harder maintenance: have to open a new topic for the same questions, duplicity

My Suggestion: Maintainers must close topics manually according to some (new?) rules.

Blessings!

I have a hp deskjet 840c printer and want to share it into my network.I also have a philips router with a USB plug in on the back so I thought that maybe i plug the printer on the back of the router it automaticly goes well.But it didn't :PWhat do i have to do that i can use my printer in the network?

I have a hp deskjet 840c printer and want to share it into my network.
IWhat do i have to do that i can use my printer in the network?

Two questions :
1) Are all your PC's connected to your Philips router ?
2) Is your printer already connected to one of your computers ? Which operating system does this computer have ?
I ask this question because I have already this kind of configuration, and all the computers in our home share the printer connected to my computer.
If your computer's Operating system is Windows XP, then it's simple : click "start", "settings", "printers", and click "properties" on your printer, you will see a "sharing" tag, click "share this printer" and you will be able to add this printer from all the computers on the network, exactly as you can see the shared files.
Of course, you will probably have to install the printer's driver on each of the others computers, but this is a classical job.
If you don't remember how to use John's shared printer, let's suppose that John's PC has the "John_PC" name, you click "startup", "execute", and then type "\\John_PC\" (without the quotes") , you will see the shared printer and you will be able to double-click on it, and you will be asked if you want to install this remote printer, and probably you will need to insert the 840c printer driver CD.
Hope this helped
Yordan

Of course, you will probably have to install the printer's driver on each of the others computers, but this is a classical job.

If your other computers are XP also (assuming the printer host is XP), then the XP drivers for the printer are already installed and it will install them on the other computer(s) automatically. If you have other versions of windows (98,2000), install the older drivers on the host computer also and it will auto install drivers to the appropriate computer!

Why would u need more than one IP with dialup?i think my ISP has given me 5 IPs, im not sure, but ive got broadband, not dialup. the best thing having more than 1 IP for is if u get an IP ban from something, or u ran out of wotever for your IP, stuff like that.

To answer the original question, I see no point in sharing your internet on a dial up speed. It's slow enough as it is already and if you share it with one or more other computers, it will take much longer to load the web pages.@BlackHaze: It doesn't work so easily like that. Best method in your case is probably connecting it to your computer and sharing it from there as yordan pointed out earlier. The only setback for doing it this way is that you will have to leave the computer on in order for the other computers to print to it.