xisto Community
doctor

Einstein Quiz Can you solve this problem?

Hi,I think solving it is easy because you are not in the same conditions as the Einstein asked the question. 1) You are not solving it with your bare mind. (without a pen or pencil and paper).2) You are in the information age. Your mind is full of information and can do many things multiple. You are not the same person as that age..3) The question may be changed.. 4) This might not be the Einsteins' real question.Thanx

This is pretty easy; my little brother solved it and his only 10. He said that at first he taught that the there were 4 people that owned pets, except for the man who drinks milk which he concluded that he must have some pet..Maybe a cow ! so his final answer was

"NO ONE OWNS THE FISH; because there is no fish"

Is this the right answer??????????

-reply by Jonathan

umm...canEinstein Quiz

there are five pets mentioned. Look!  in the initial question it states  each homeowner keeps a pet. In the fifiteen logical relation statements we conclude who owns each of four types of pets. And in the final question it asks for the owner of the fish.  So, in all questions there are 5 pets mentioned.  Just because the fish isn't mentioned in the 15 elimination questions doesn't mean no one owns it.  If you want to prove that the fish isn't owned then you must show how the logic denies the ownership of fishes... Which it doesn't.

Because the question "who owns the fish?" assumes that someone does own a fish, and we can conclude that the only owner whose pet remains unspecified must be the one.  you seem to be making up your own logic.  No wonder 90 percent of the pop can't solve it; they can't read logically.

took me 8 minutes.

-reply by david

who keeps fishEinstein Quiz

well.This question is too easy.I solved it in 22 minutes.But it needs a lot of thinking.The german keeps fish.

-reply by omar ahmed

They answer is in the title...Who owns the fish?  The answer is who...Or to put it another way -you will never know.  The German is the one without a pet...But that does not mean that he owns fish.  A definitive answer never contains an assumption.  The answer is who.

-reply by Greg Jacobs

I solved it. It was hard to sit at the computer and read it. But once I printed it and sat down it went quickly. Using an organized chart and the process of elimination I solved it really easyly. Don't give up it ruins it. You can do it just keep trying. Once you get it you will feel better rather than cheating and finding the answer.-reply by Sara

I know this is an old thread, but actually you can't say the German owns the fish. You are given 15 pieces of information + 4 initial conditions. Using this information you can conclude that the German is the only person without a listed pet. However, none of the pieces of information or the initial conditions require the German has a fish, he could just as easily have a turtle. This is what makes the problem challenging. Anyone can sit down and figure out the logic chain, but what makes it challenging is not assuming an answer based on the question and instead basing it on the information given.

Sorry EinsteinEinstein Quiz

I don't buy into Einstein's answer that you can't know who owns the fish. If he wants to be a smart *ss and say that, then I will counter with this. He says there are five houses. From this, I can assume that means only 5 houses exist. So, the German has to own the fish. He tells me there is a fish, and that some one owns it. Well, if there is only 5 houses, then the German logically has to own the fish. I am saying there are no other houses or people alive to own a fish.

Actually it isn't a hard question to be exact it took me a while to solve it but them I saw something read on to find out

*SPOILER* 

You have to assume that the person has fish none of them could have fish since fish is only in the question

if one of them has fish then it would be the ... But it might not even be fish it is unkown.

-reply by link

u do realize that when Einstein made this he said the key is to never stop questioning, so the real solution to the problem is who is it to say that anyone owns a fish for all we know it could be a tiger. Thats the real solution but if u do the whole thing then yea it comes out the german owns the fish.

Keywords: problems similar to einstein iq

So for everyone who argues that the German does not own the fish, then who does?

if you don't know who, then the problem isn't solved yet. and even if the answer was something like "there isn't enough information given" I'm sure there would be a lot more than 2 % of the population who would get to this conclusion. It wasn't hard at all to find out that the German is the only one without a pet, yet einstein said only 2% will get this quiz right. This is what confuses me.

Logically speaking, I would assume that the 5 pets are horse, cat, dog, bird and fish, but who knows.. I would say German owns the fish cuz if you keep questioning, this would be endless.

only if einstein was alive :(

Oh my dear. This is just analogous to crushing your mind. Its too confusing for me. I think I am not among the intelligent 2% people but the normal 98% people. Feel sorry for me.......

Isn't the answer "Who". I didn't read anything. Don't laugh at my guessing algorithm.

Really smart guy ! You didn't read the question, but you guess the answer ! Of course, if do this way very frequently, you should finally happen to cross a question whose answer is "who". :)