xisto Community
DjCalvin

Guild Wars Vs Wow Looking for players who have played both

I just cancelled My WOW account after a nice 2 year run. (Have been playing since Friends and Family beta)Reason for cancelling: Pretty much cleaning up my finances of what I need vs what I want. And I was not playing it much at all anymore. If wow had'nt delyaed the expansion from spring this year to fall this year, I would more or likely still be playing. (Its boring for a casual gamer once you hit 60)Now my question is this, and this is for those who have played both Wow And guild wars.Which one is better? I like the idea of a free MMO where you have to buy the game, but not pay the monthly. How are the graphics? How is it for a casual gamer? these Updates I have heard about for Guild wars.. What are they? how much do they cost and how often are they pushed out?Basically would love you get the game's perspective from a wow'er's point of view.Oh, and if anyone here is on stormscale (US) let me know your char name and level and I can pawn off some gold to you**while supplies last. - C

I've only ever played Guild Wars, but I think the best two points of it is that it doesn't have a monthly subscription, and that you only meet other players (Unless you invite them into your party) in towns, so no spawn camping :D

Basically would love you get the game's perspective from a wow'er's point of view.

I've been playing WoW for over 14 months since retail, and before that in beta.

I played a lot of Guild Wars during the betas, not that much during retail. Reason for that : WoW. For me, WoW was just a lot better, however I quit as well because it just way too much time to raid almost every night.

Guild Wars is a much more easy going game. You got the co-op missions which are pretty fun, but it's a bit repetitive and 'random' (as a WoWer you will immediately notice that healing/rezing is too easy, and mobs pick random targets instead of a threat system) as well that you can only use 8 spells, you won't be able to really use a lot of stuff.

Nonetheless, I thought it was fun to play the co-op missions but never really got endulged in the PvP matches; which can actually be pretty fun. Maybe I'll do so now.

Graphics are very very nice, and the game runs smooth. I think your first things you'll notice is the lack of threat system and moves. (It's usually just targetting one mob together, and that mob will most likely hit the closest person and practically anyone can tank it).

The good parts however is the lack of monthly payment, okay storyline, great graphics, and tense PvP. If you're into PvP however, the spell limit of 8 is a good thing. It means you'll have a lot more customization and different builds than WoW (face it, WoW pvp was always the same)

If you can get your hands on a client program, I can lend you my account for a while so you can try it out :D

I ahven't played either, but observed the patterns of people playing both. They seem to gain equal amounts of entertainment from them and when they start talking about them I am equally bored and confused listening to either haha. Therefor I'd have to say Guild Wars has it right. WoW expects people to pay EXTRA on top of the price of the game just to be able to play. To me this is retarded. If they CHOOSE to make a game that is an MMO I can't fathom why we decided it was reasonable to let them charge us for that choice. They are trying to make money off a game in a new genre, fine, but they should take the cost not us. But then again this is more general MMO bashing then straight comparison of the two.From what I've seen, both have loads of depth and playtime. I think the feel of guild wars is more my style simply because it seems less intense... you don't need to drop as much time in to get full enjoyment whereas WoW seems like it'd suck if you only played once in awhile.Oh, and last I've seen Guild wars looks/plays better then WoW... but the settings on their comps could have been not set properly (the two I see playing these the most have pimped gaming rigs so it'd have to be an issue with settings then with capability unless I'm correct in assuming GW just looks better).

Oh, there are quite a few things that can be said about this, so let's start from the beginning.First of all, eveyone notices the main difference and that it the monthly fee. I am sure no one likes to pay $15 a month to play a game. During one year you would spend $180, but you wouldn't play the game all the time, that is certain. On the other hand, Guild Wars costs less (at least in my country) and there are no fees. So I bought it and play it every now and then, without worrying whether I'll have to pay for that. That is one point for Guild Wars.The next thing we should look at is how the game "works". After buying that game (either the Prophecies or the Factions), you just install it, enter your serial number and play! Every time you start the game you download an update that is necessary in order to play. Those updates can get quite big if you don't play for a while, but keep the things rolling. I don't know that much detail about WoW, so I would like someone to oppose me here :DAs for the gameplay, everyone say GW is more simple that WoW, and there I must agree. However, that doesn't mean WoW gets a point. Simplicity sometimes wins over complicated gameplay. Yes, GW lets you "carry" only eight spells with you, but that makes the game more realistic. Not to mention that some people don't like it to be complicated. Also, GW hasn't got so much players as WoW, so it isn't crowded and you get to meet other people only in cities. It just has a different way of playing, and I like it!

Edited by pyost (see edit history)

I'm still angry at the loss of decent or even just a single player campaign mode. I played WoW for a little while just doing quests, I like a story even though it didn't make much sense it was pretty generic if even a story at all, more like alot of small missions that don't seem to have much to do with the other at all.Iv'e heard good things about Guild Wars and the fact that you only pay for the actual game (as it damn well should be in the first place) is what strikes it as much more interesting I think.

ok I'll put in my 2 cents...First off I have to say that the graphics of Guildwars seems to me, at least, to be much better then WoW, which is sort of surprising to most concidering the requirements to play GW is less then that for WoW. The enviroments are rich and eye catching.Second, there is, as stated by others, no monthly pay to play. You buy the game and your good to go. Also as far as updates and expansions go, if NCSoft and Arena.net stay to what they originally said and their previous track record with the game, they will always keep up with the "balancing" of the game also their should be 1 free area added aprox. 6 months or so after the release of Factions then another "chapter" or the next expansion 6 months after that. They have stated that they plan on keeping the game as "fresh" as possible. Also each "chapter" is planned to be a "stand alone" game so that it can be played by itself or "linked" to the previous "chapters" so that you don't have to have the previous 3 versions to be able to play the 4th installment. In otherwords you can have Prophesies, Factions, skip chapter 3, then buy chapter 4 and not have to go buy chapter 3 if you don't want to just to play chapter 4.Third, the ability to only carry 8 skills/abilities in my opinion adds an interestin "depth" to the game. Since you don't have access to all your skills/abilities/spells through out the game you actually have to THINK about where your going, what you need to do and as such you have to not only be able to pull your "weight" you have to rely on others to do so also. This means you really have to understand the game and your character and its over all abilities. This means you have to know how to use your various skills together to be able to do what needs to be done and as such how each skill/ablility can be used in conjuction with another to get the most out of what you bring.Personally I started playing GW because there wasn't a monthly fee to play. Although I have stayed with it because I personally find the game to be as complex, or as simple, as you wish it to be.

I have played both and I believe that although Guild Wars is not a true MMORPG it is probably the best option in terms of game fun financial free experiance for you. World of Warcraft is more "im in a fantasy world" while Guild Wars is more like "Im playing a game." Thats how I diffrentiate the two. Guild Wars is fun with friends, and expecially concentrated on PvP. If your the type that likes to PvE than Guild Wars might not be a long lasting game that can keep you happy with its replayability.They recently released a FACTIONS expansion version of the game where I believe is more concentrated on the PvP side of things, where the people that are intersted in the the PvE side is left in a short fix type of mode.World of Warcraft when I played it was fun but I was not really attached to it because of its no so detailed graphics. I mean if its trying to look like a fantasy cartoon, at least give the characters more polygons, or make it look something like KINGDOM HEARTS (PS2) graphics which is what I believe World of Warcraft was trying to do.I personally play a game because it looks beautiful, but when playing World of Warcraft I was really turned off with the graphics the whole time. Its replayability can be fun where you can raid towns and all and go in large groups to take down giant bosses. But its not eye catching to me so that drove me away. I know that should not be the reason, but everyone has their own reasons for not liking a game.If I were you and you wanted a casual game play experiance during your financial instability, I would go with Guild Wars. You pay once, and can play forever. If you have friends your game experiance with the game will be much more worth while.

I know people who play WoW and also GW. Personally, I only play GW. I've been playing since public release and I've played multiple characters through both the Prophecies (Original campaign) and Factions (New 'Expansion' game). Personally, if you like storyline, go for the Prophecies game (Factions has a great story, but it's not as long). However, if you like PvP (like I do) then Factions would be the game to get first. The reason for this is that in Factions ANet added Allaince Battles, which pits the Luxons vs. the Kurzicks in a 12v12 style capture the flag battle. It's a lot of fun and also a pretty easy way to make some money (trade in faction from winning for amber chunks or jade shards).It's fine for the casual gammer also, as the lvl cap is low, and easily achievable in a week or less.GW is a great game, and I would recommend it to anyone.

I could definitely recommend playing wow. If you arent afraid of getting addicted, you won't be disappointed of wow. It got everything, lots of quest, some (well maybe not too great) pvp, big PvE content and alot of things to discover. The world is bigger than you think at first :P

I played WoW a lot through a friend's account (I can't really afford these monthly fees), and I must it's pretty nice for a MMORPG. I usually don't like them because the storyline sucks, you can do very little compared to single player counterparts I'm used to play, so that's why they usually disappoint me somehow.It's a huge world, with tons of people, which is great to join parties, guilds, do PvP (not that amazing, since it's too "standardized" nowadays) and exchange products you obtain or assemble.But the graphics are outdated, and and it's too time spending intensive. Normal people can't stand playing a game *at least* 4 hours a day to get decent items, gold, experience... Also the mechanism relies much on the items, and usually the nice ones are a pain to get, what might be frustrating to some people.I heard so many good things about Guild Wars that I'm willing to try a little. Also, the more realistic less cartoony graphics do attract me. For casual gamers like me, seems like a wise choice. In case anyone knows some way to get a trial or something, let me know.

Guild Wars

Guild Wars Vs Wow

Hey I've readen your comment you have posted and I am interested in getting a guild wars account I don't yet know alot about it but I have had wow in the past for a year but I quit and I don't know to buy guild wars or not so is it possible if you can lend me your account details for a preportion of time and if I like it I will buy the game

-reply by Cletic