xisto Community
iGuest

Window XP Annoyances What I now hate about it

I had to switch back to Windows XP, after a very long time not running it, but I needed to test a script out in IE (for the Notice BBCode) since Fedora Core 5 and Wine have some minor issues with running it now. So being such a long time that I had ever gone into Windows, automatic updates decided to run, I didn't mind this. So I fixed the script for the BBCode, had time to kill because the updates weren't finished yet so I decided I'll watch a DVD while waiting.A quarter of the way through the movie, a dialog comes up saying that I must restart the computer for the updates to take place, I had the option of restarting now, or restart later. So since I was still watching the movie, I clicked on restart later, then I went back to the movie, about 10 minutes later it pops up again, so I said restart later... guess what, the next 10 minutes it popped up again, it was starting to piss me off and ruin my movie.I would say a lot of foul words about it, which clearly would show how annoyed I was about it.Why would I be annoyed, it's not the fact it interrupted me watching the movie, it's the fact that I told the computer what I wanted and it completely disregarded what I said, it's like a trouble child, who you tell to sit down, and it decides to go off and do it's own thing no matter how many times you tell it.As for this annoyance, it clearly shows you what not to do and I hope no one here goes off to make something as persistent as this, as this is clearly the "are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet" behaviour you'd expect from young children.Aknowledgements go out to Microsoft, thank you, thank you, thank you. If you have any more surprises please feel free to do what the hell you like on my computer because I am not impressed.MC

Hehe ... yea, I know how you feel. Remember the 'Low disk space' nuisance in the system tray. Every 10 minutes or so, out pops a balloon telling you that you've got low disk space in blah blah drive. I mean, if it tells you once it's fine. But constantly reminding you even after you close the balloon is very annoying.

Damn those tiny balloons! I used to experience the same thing with several of my Generic MP3 players. It would tell me that the device was now ready to be used, hell I plugged it of course!

AHHH! The "You need to restart now" thing that recurs ever 10 minutes! It's like ... it's like this super-annoying mother figure who's trying to get me out of bed when I'm not in the mood to get up and go to school. It's all, "You have to do this. I'm going to bother you until you do it. I know what's best for you. By the way: I have an evil twin in the status tray that's going to pop up about eighteen thousand balloons at random."Ahhh! *cries*If I ever need therapy, I'm sending the bill to Microsoft *grins*

By the way, if you're thinking why I didn't just ignore it and send it behind the movie, is because it has a timer too, which counts down from 5 minutes and will automatically restart unless you respond to either one of the options.This is like the modernised version of "are we there yet, are we there yet" to "can I reboot now, can I reboot now". To be honest, I don't feel like babysitting Windows and am glad it was only a temporary thing, but I feel the next time I go in, Automatic Updates will happen again, and again I'll be bothered with this annoying popup.I have also been thinking about why this was occuring. To me it's because Windows thinks when I watching a movie the computer isn't doing anything, so there's no events/actions happening. Maybe if I continously moved the mouse around while watching the movie I wouldn't have this problem, but that's not a solution is it.MC

That's the case. Even if your mouse moves around or keys tap, even then it's going to bug you every 10 minutes and do that countdown unless you intervene. It's one hell of a nasty, nagging *****. It happened to me just 3-4 days back. I usually never have that auto-update thing on. Who the hell needs autoupdate?? But I'd freshly reinstalled XP on my new 160Gig.. and I forgot to turn it off. Man - it drove me insane... I granted it a reboot but completely turned off auto-complete since then. I ain't going to give it that sadistic pleasure again ;) .. I stiched the *****'s mouth up for good. :P

Windows does this to try to keep your computer safe. It wants your computer to be as updated as possible, and in order to make changes to your computer, it must restart. That's why it keeps bugging you every ten minutes. It's dementing to competent computer users, but it's necessary for the beginners who actually thinks AOL's anti-fraud/virus software is the best program ever. :PThe restart dialog is like a child asking "Are we there yet?". If the parents say "No", they'll wait a few minutes and then ask again. If the parents say "Yes", they'll open the door and exit the car. If the parents don't respond, they'll assume that they are there, and open the door and jump out, even if the car is going 80 mph right next to a 9000 ton truck on a busy freeway. The car you're driving is very antiquated and does not have a child safety lock installed on the rear doors to prevent the child from opening the door him/herself. (This is an analogy to the missing option to prevent Windows from restarting itself.)

It's not the auto-updates that I mind, it is the fact that, while I have to have MS Office for compatibility issues between OPenOffice.org and Office(some old version they have in school). Powerpoint is the culprit. (I've tried using Flash - but in my school they refuse to actually get the latest flash player) It is the fact that it will harrass you until you install updates for crap you never even installed in the first place. See, I use Thunderbird as Email client - and I have not have virusses through email since - let that be said.. Of course I don't open ppt files either :P But with MS Office partially installed (I have NOT installed Outlook or Excell. I use OpenOffice's Math for that) it will keep telling me I need to install a security fix for both Excell and Outlook????? I DON'T EVEN HAVE THOSE INSTALLED!!!!

<snip>Why would I be annoyed, it's not the fact it interrupted me watching the movie, it's the fact that I told the computer what I wanted and it completely disregarded what I said, it's like a trouble child, who you tell to sit down, and it decides to go off and do it's own thing no matter how many times you tell it.

As for this annoyance, it clearly shows you what not to do and I hope no one here goes off to make something as persistent as this, as this is clearly the "are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet" behaviour you'd expect from young children.

Aknowledgements go out to Microsoft, thank you, thank you, thank you. If you have any more surprises please feel free to do what the hell you like on my computer because I am not impressed.
MC

Agreed. This is in the same category as the "Abort; Retry; Cancel" dialogs which do the same thing no matter which button you choose--- the process is tried again and the dialog comes right back up until you reboot or do something as drastic. It is also very seldom clear what the difference between the buttons, such as "Abort" and "Cancel". Another variant on these are the ones that give you an opportunity to try to save your work and just keep coming back to the dialog.

I had to switch back to Windows XP, after a very long time not running it, but I needed to test a script out in IE (for the Notice BBCode) since Fedora Core 5 and Wine have some minor issues with running it now. So being such a long time that I had ever gone into Windows, automatic updates decided to run, I didn't mind this.
So I fixed the script for the BBCode, had time to kill because the updates weren't finished yet so I decided I'll watch a DVD while waiting.

A quarter of the way through the movie, a dialog comes up saying that I must restart the computer for the updates to take place, I had the option of restarting now, or restart later. So since I was still watching the movie, I clicked on restart later, then I went back to the movie, about 10 minutes later it pops up again, so I said restart later... guess what, the next 10 minutes it popped up again, it was starting to piss me off and ruin my movie.

I would say a lot of foul words about it, which clearly would show how annoyed I was about it.

Why would I be annoyed, it's not the fact it interrupted me watching the movie, it's the fact that I told the computer what I wanted and it completely disregarded what I said, it's like a trouble child, who you tell to sit down, and it decides to go off and do it's own thing no matter how many times you tell it.

As for this annoyance, it clearly shows you what not to do and I hope no one here goes off to make something as persistent as this, as this is clearly the "are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet" behaviour you'd expect from young children.

Aknowledgements go out to Microsoft, thank you, thank you, thank you. If you have any more surprises please feel free to do what the hell you like on my computer because I am not impressed.
MC

The one thing I would like to tell about Windows XP is that the whole OS is an Annoyance, nothing works out perfectly on that. Windows Vista seems to be a little better than XP, but still Microsoft has to do something about it. I would prefer Linux/Unix anyday for Windows.

I just recently got this really annoying update for IE browser that was supposedly a critical update that makes all the "flash objects" have an outline when you hover over it. You would need to click the object to activate it it says, which means if the flash object has buttons than you would have to click on the flash object before you can click on the flash buttons. Its a really ANNOYING update that ruins the design of flash/html websites. Paticulary mines, because I made my website where it blended in with the html document so you cant really tell if its flash. But with this new update that they had released it has ruined my design. I tried to uninstall it but it causes weird errors to my computer, so I just reinstalled it. I hope they release a update where you can TURN OFF the feature of the outlining of flash objects soon...

Windows does this to try to keep your computer safe. It wants your computer to be as updated as possible, and in order to make changes to your computer, it must restart.

Nah... it does this just so it can add MORE security holes to the EXISTING thousands of them and it wants to make sure that you have widely open holes for hackers to get into... duh! lol.

What I find REALLY annoying is if you have any wireless network adapter installed, if you don't have it turned on or are in an area that has NO wireless network, it pops a stupid ballon up that says there's no connection and no wireless networks were found. But since my laptop has a little switch to turn WLAN on or off, I keep it off since I just use a Ethernet connection. Everytime I boot Windows, it tells me that there are no networks available... it's REALLY annoying..

I'm just glad I switched over to Linux... I tried to get my laptop on Linux, but for some reason, it doesn't like Linux at all... NO distro installs... bunch of kernel panics and aborts... oh well, that's what my desktop system is for! :P

[N]F

nightfox, FC5 is really bad with laptop integration. My battery dies right after it boots up. It uses too much energy!Anyways, Windows is like a baby. The interface looks cute, but it constantly asks to sleep; then wakes up. When it's too tired, it crashes. It's prone to illnesses (viruses) because it's still very young. It doesn't understand English either. You constantly have to guess what's wrong. (Windows doesn't keep a friggin' log). It constantly needs your maintenance. That's my anology for Windows.Here's what I think the dialog is like.YES (restart) NO (wait for 10 minutes, then bug again) CANCEL (a trick box that does nothing)10 minutes laterYES (restart) NO (restart) CANCEL (a trick box that does nothing)xboxrulz

Have you heard of the new update that Microsoft released that actually identifies people running pirated software.I bought my computer online in separate parts and put it together ( cheaper that way )and then I got Win XP Pro from Best Buy because my bro works there and gives me huge discounts.Anyways my auto updates ( dunno why i have auto update on ) installed the update and i was just like watever my copy of windows is 100% legal.Well next time I booted up windows there were banners all over my desktop and bottom of screeni was so pissed off i sent a very unpleasant email to the "technical center" at microsoft ( yea its "technical" alright)They said that my copy of windows must be illegal because apparently their detection program is "perfect"I ended up having to back up my files and formatting my entire drive, and then reinstallign and configuring my entire computer againI am so fed up with windows, i'm ganna start trying out linux pretty soon, some of my friends have it in my computer class at school and they say its alot better cuz it doesnt treat you like an idiot and it doesnt have nearly as many security holes"Anyways, Windows is like a baby. The interface looks cute, but it constantly asks to sleep; then wakes up. When it's too tired, it crashes. It's prone to illnesses (viruses) because it's still very young. It doesn't understand English either. You constantly have to guess what's wrong. (Windows doesn't keep a friggin' log). It constantly needs your maintenance. That's my anology for Windows." yea xboxrulz i totally agree with what you said