xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
marretas

Giant Asteroid In Earth Course

North-American Cientists predicte that Asteroid will collide with earth aproximitly in a centuray. 4th May 2102The colision risk is 1 to 1000. :lol:

Well the earth is constantly being bombarded by asteroids that don't burn up in the atmosphere. Impact is what creates the problem for us, not being crushed by the asteroid itself. Scientists also theorize that the only warning of a deadly asteroid could be nothing more than the giant wave of fire, a few sad moments of realization, and then oblivion. On multiple occasions asteroids have gone unpredicted and unnoticed, because think of it this way: take a marbel, put it on the sidewalk on a slightly rainy day, and see if any rain hits it. That's probably about the chances of earth getting hit. It's not very slim. They usually don't even catch these asteroids, and if one the size of texas hits then earth will probably get a chunk taken out from the impact.

guys, you don't have to worry about the "we're gonna die" theory. As per the nuclear bomb, it is not efficient since not all asteroids have a ROCKY/METALLIC core,therefore the nuclear will do crap. The best efficient way there is in current technology is to redirect solar beam in a high voltage that would redirect asteroids out of Earth's course.xboxrulz

I don't think an astroid is going to hit the earth but if there is going to be a astroid colliding into the earth but I wont be arround to find out anyway. If there is going to be a collision in 2102 we probably will have the technology to stop it by then. Its 100 years from now and its amazing how fast new technology is being built for things so we probably will be able to stop it if it doesnt burn up in the atmosphere or somthing.

Isn't it nice how, as humans, we can come with so many creative ways to cause mass death and destruction. Imagine what would happen if all science on earth was concentrated on helping people. Anyway, if an Meteor is gonna hit Earth than I am guessing that many of you are correct, by the time it gets close enough to be a threat we'll have so much technology that it won't even be an issue. Maybe we'll even catch it and tow it off for examination. In perspective look at this. During World War I we didn't even have nuclear weapons. In fact the weapons we take as prerunners for modern weapons were just being tested then. Now look, we can blow up the entire world by pressing a button. Interesting isn't it.

I would say it will probably happen soooner or later, I mean thats wuts killed the dinosaurs right? Man...the chaos the world would be in when news break out that a meteaor would hit earth. I wonder if we would attempt something as seen in armegeddon to stop the metoer. that would be really neat.Im also curious wut the next life form would be after we are wiped off the face of the earth. I also heard that our sun is dying, and that is another disaster that we would have to expect. Once the sun dies a black hole effect will take place...haha, man...life is short if you think about it...

'Giant Meteor to Hit Earth', 'Sun Dying Out'. These are scientist horror stories I've heard since I was like 6 years old. Granted, maybe someday they will come true, but of course that would only be a matter of time anyway. I don't think that is something they can really predict. Meteor courses can change, the sun will obviously die out, it is just a star. Yes, there will be an end of the earth someday, but I don't think it is really predictable. Take it as it comes, one day at a time I always say.

Seriously i don't think human beings will be in earth by that time.. so we don't even need to worry if sun is gonna die in a century or if we gonna have a visit of a meteor by that time too.. We can see earth dying already.. polution, that will take centuries to get rid of, lack of water, we all know that water may be gone by the end of this century, and the petrol that is disapearing, that may last for 40 years if we keep consuming as we are now.. All of this is gonna destroy us all.. if we don't act as soon as we can.. so i think that we have to find another planet soon.. and i can tell government is aware of that too, otherwise they wouldn't be investing so much money in space exploration.. tho, Earth's death must not mean Humans death.. that's why i think we shall colonize as many planets as we can.. in order to make sure that humans will keep living.. We, humans, should spend less time fighting and killing each other, and spend more time helping each other against this kind of things that we can't controle and can seriously put an end in our reality.. cause in this case we aren't talking about saving our asses.. we are talking about saving our presence in this universe..

Wow, you people are certainly pessimisitc.

The odds of an asteroid striking earth is only 1 in 40, which is about 2.9%

I got this number at Space.com

For more information about the asteroid 2004 MN4, I found some from NASA.

And if it does hit, it'll probably wipe out one or two cities - no biggie.
Sorry if I sound rude, but it's not exactly the end of the world.

Let's just see who gets lucky?

And, if it does land in the middle of the Pacific, it might be a lot worst than if it hit the middle of NYC.
Two words - Tidal waves

As for our brightest start in the sky, the Sun - it's got about 5 billion years left of gas left.

The Sun's life expectancy.

Before then, I'm pretty sure humans would have:

1) Gone extinct
2) Moved to another planet
3) Used various weapons of mass destruction and rendered our planet inhabitable
4) Choices 3, then 1.
5) Encoutered an astroid rated 10 on the Torino scale.

Okay, take your pick. Personally, I think 4 is probably the most fitting so I would stop worrying about the Sun and start worrying about the Nuclear stockpile that DOES EXIST.

On a side note, if we do manage to survive until the Sun reaches the stages of a Red Giant, our planet will be consume along with Mecury and Venus - so we die anyways.

I don't see any reason to be pursuing such thoughts about the future. To give an example of what I'm saying here, back when i was...hmm 4th grade? I borrowed a book about the future of the Earth from the local library. It looked really cool actually and stated so many things that would happen in the future and even had a "future chronology". The latest gadget being the artificial eye (latest as in, it will happen the latest) which will "happen" in the year 2010. Don't ask me about that yet, what I'm wondering about is the section where they state that almost every house in urban/suburban United States having access to modern cities and something like that would have a house similar to this: <with a picture here depicting the many facilities and features of a futuristic house>. Of course, that didn't happen. The main thing being roof gardens that absorb solar energy to power the house AND providing a nice roof view. I don't think people favored that much.I did see something on Discovery channel where some house was SPECIFICALLY built to save energy and collect solar energy to a level that the house's mean monthly electricity bill is about 1-2 dollars. It looks foolproof i guess. But the system itself looks so complex and costly there is no way any average family can afford it. What hopes...they're all just lame imaginations from some guy who needed quick cash. I'm not saying everyone's like this. But most random "facts" about the future are just getting old.

Personally I think that people devote way too much time to studying things that could destroy earth from space and not enough on what could destroy earth from earth itself. Like Logan Deathbringer said there is more chance of nuclear destruction than being hit by an meteor. If those super smart scientist devoted their time to studying how to save lives and clean up, find new energy sources, advance society then we would have a much brighter future. Besides once we do that can't we easily dream up some way to destroy possible meteors? And if a meteor does hit earth it will burn down its size as it enters earth's atmosphere, so, unless it is a huge meteor that is really really really big it will downsize enough that it couldn't possibly destroy earth.

Well as a follow up post I have to say that as a species, homosapians are not only one of the most pesimistic species on the planet earth but also the most self destructive, and I might even go as far as to say that if the earth was a multicelled sentient organism, we would be a massive paresitic infestation on its skin, much like scabies.While at the same time we are supposidly the most intelligent, although I have to agree with the hitch hikers guide to the galaxy, if we are so intellegent why are we so destructive to our world, and so blind to how our actions not only effect ourselves but those that share the earth with us.Now that being said...why do we only speculate on the what ifs, and not fix whats going on around us? Because its so much "fun" and interesting...End of Rant...

opinionGiant Asteroid In Earth Course

everyone needs to calm because the shuttle said the world was gonna die in like all the way back then and in 2001 so u may be wrong and it would be nice if u would stop making people worry about this they are getting out of hand and doing wrong decisions/txtmngr/images/smileys/smiley13.Gif

-reply by angelina

In the end, you have to take these kinds of findings with a pinch of salt, as scientists only get paid for research that shows results that whoever commisioned the study wants or that catches the attention of the general public. and as eye-catchers go, "earth dies in 100 years" is a pretty good one.

Edited by the little philosopher (see edit history)