xisto Community
Sarah81

I Hate Cell Phones Being unavailable rules

You could always just buy one and turn it on only when you know you want to be called...

That's what my wife does. Unfortunately, I know very few people able to do that, buyng a cell phone, paying every month for that, and not using it because most of time you don't really need it.

Depends what you mean by 'need'. 9 times out of 10 its just a conveinience item. There are payphones in most public places, and if you're out at a friends or whatnot you can always use their phone. The only time its actually a necessity is if you need to make a call on the road or whatever, in which case your wife would still be able to use it for that purpose.

I usually don't care much about my cell phone. It's either in my backpak, or in my desk. I'm not even sure why I need one anymore. People can just call my house phone and that will be that, but there might be emergencies that I have to make a quick call in the middle of no where... which happened once before and I won't forget the trouble I went through to finally reach a pay phone >_<I don't know... it's like insurance to me, it's worthless unless something big happens. I waste lots of money on iinsurance, like most of us do, and think an accident is likely to happen so we buy it. It's money being wasted like this you can't seem to do anything much about. Why can't they lower our cell phone charges to like... 10 dollars... for those who dont' even use it often? I want that plan >_<</rant>

I won't forget the trouble I went through to finally reach a pay phone

Yes, now there are rather few pay phones available, precisely because almost everyone has a cell phone.

I’d really like to know what the big todo is about having a cellphone. I don’t have one and I manage just fine, but people that find out I don’t have one treat me like I’m some kind of idiot or from the backwoods. I was at my sister’s house on vacation last year and needed to call my husband and she wouldn’t let me use the regular phone, told me I had to use her cell phone for the free minutes, and I couldn’t even figure out how to turn the damned thing on. I really got steamed with her and her friends that were there laughing at me like I was tardo. What should I say to these people without being too rude when I’m faced with this kind of situation?

I hate cell phones. But I own one and I use it. I don´t feel like I need it. I hate taking it around everywhere so I leave it half of the time. All day long you are connected to people and thats how it has always been. Distances are less now due to things like phones and cars and they have come to replace physical presence in interaction. Now people can guess your mood by your text message or your voice. They can see a smiley face and decide how you are feeling. thats kind of creepy

Anything in moderation is okay, but what I dislike about cellphones is the annoyance factor. I'm something of a film nerd and my biggest pet peeve (other than paying $10+ to see a movie at the theatre) is paying $10+ to see a movie at the theatre and having someone's cellphone go off in the middle of it!It's a matter of respect, not to mention there needs to be a stronger set of social customs behind it. Cellphones are still a new technology and so there isn't an established and recognized code of conduct/etiquette to accompany the usage.I, personally, like cellphones. In fact, I don't own a landline! My cell acts as my main line, and then long distance friends and family I talk to using Skype. My cellphone bill is cheaper than it cost me to have a landline and long distance plan. (Granted, I'm not a fan of talking on the phone, so perhaps this isn't a good argument factor for me!)I think that cellphones, when used reasonably, provide an essential security feature. It is good for use in case of emergencies: vehicle or other. Nothing is worse than being stranded on the side of the road with no way to call for help!

I think cellphones are great.Aside from the little annoyances we get in the theaters from ppl who forget to set their phones to "silent", or people who constantly have their cellphones ringing in the middle of a conversation.It provides the much needed connection to each other. If you or your family has been out all day, howelse are you going to contact them? What about emergencies, it would be great to have someone to call for help one way or another.The only situation where I'll object to cell phones is when people use it like it's their fisher price toy-phone. Now that is annoying.Otherwise, cellphones are probably one of the handiest tools of our time. Most of them comes with a camera, camcorder, voice recorder, and whatever else you think of nowadays. What more can you expect from a little gadget that weights no more than a pound to provide so many options?

I have to admit there are a tonne of times when cell phone absolutely get on my nerves like crazy, being called at times that I really don't want to be called or by someone I don't want to talk to, but I think when weighing up the pros and cons, cell phones have done amazing things for civilization.Being able to contact people in cases of emergency is a great advantage, it's also handy for me when I can pick up more work by having my cell phone on hand. Plus just the simple advantage of being able to get in contact with friends, family and other loved one's at any time I like is great.I have to admit, I love my cell phone, I'm addicted and I can't leave the house without it.

I dont have a problem with cells. or as we call them in England, Mobiles. Text messages are just another way of communicating, like is MSN or AIM. the initial idea of it was to leave a bog standard message and many people still use it for that. What has caught on is the idea of not having to spekak. you can still have a converstion without anybody knowing what you are saying unless the nosy parkers steal your phone. Games on a cell for me is a good addition, as is the MP3. But as you said, why do we need MP3 on a phone when we have our own mp3 players. so why do we need games when we had gameboys and now DS and PSP etc? why do we need a camera on our phones? Its all the convenience factor, we live in a very fast moving world and we want everything instantly, ok there may be things you are willing to wait for, but when you have a device that can call message play games listen to and take pictures, its the star of the world! It is also a dream. Back in the days when these technologies were impossible, we had sci-fis where you could talk and look at people at the same time, humans latched onto that idea and we have that now in 3G mobile. We now have sci fis pon about robots etc, this will come to us...

What really grinds my gears, is when elementary school kids have cell phones. What in dante's inferno does a fifth grader need with any form of telecommunication?!? Granted, their parents may give it to them in case they are stuck somewhere and for safety purposes, but too often these days, they also have Ipods!

I agree! And to to make things worse, they "call home" and don't report the facts!! Just a few weeks ago, in my school district's middle school, a bomb threat was made. Following procedure, the building was evacuated into the high school. Some smart jack--- kid gets the bright idea to call mom that the middle school is going to blow up and I guess some other kids did the same... when news leaked to us high schoolers, we heard two things: 1) Some loony kid brought a gun to school, 2) There was a bomb. So some smart high schoolers also decide to call home... the offices were swammped with phone calls!

When I go to bed at night, the off button gets pressed and it gets plugged into my charger. Then the next day when I wake up, I take it out (LEAVING IT OFF) and slip it into my pocket for another good day at school. Then at 2:20 PM, as school is over, I turn it on. If you want to call me duing school hours fine. You'll just get directed to voicemail which I'll check.

I only have a cell phone for two reasons: 1) It's for business. Clients can easily reach me with no problem. 2) I'm starting to drive. So if I get in an accident, I can easily call for help.

But why does a 5th grader need one? I highly doubt a 5th grader drives, which rules out that excuse, and I highly doubt a 5th grader has important business and clients to tend to. It's simple: parents are spoiling their kids. When I'm older and have kids, they're going to be brought up just as how I was. Since I run a technology business, they might get a computer to learn on but they're not getting a cell phone until they're getting their temps or have a job that requires one. Working at McDonald's DOESN'T require a cell phone. Computer repair and servicing DOES.

I think I've ranted enough... Don't even get me started on iPods....

[N]F

Cell phones are the bane of our society. We don't need them. The only time I would expect anyone to ever need one is if there is a car accident or maybe a terrorist attack. When I am on campus at my local college, it is amazing how many people are inadvertently getting cancer from these phones. I do own what is called a TracFone, but ever since I bought it, I have not used it once. Not once. It sits in my glove compartment. And as a matter of fact, I doubt I will ever use it. Unless something unforeseen happens, like a split in the time-space continuum, I will remain unavailable.

I absolutely HATE these insidious devices. I hate people who talk on them while they drive, cross the street, shop, eat in restaurants, use them at the movies, on planes, trains and cruise ships.And I hate the ones with the cameras even more. What is so #&%@!)_+? important to talk about. Are you really that self-important that you need it so much? Somebody bought me one for my birthday. I absolutely hated the ringtone and I made the person change it. He showed me how to use it, but I paid no attention. It still is in the box. I have no intention to use it. If something is really THAT important, they will call you back. All my life I always tried not to be like everybody else. I`m probably one of the only guys in America without one. And you know what, I like it that way!-reply by bad hat