xisto Community
Sarah81

I Hate Cell Phones Being unavailable rules

I always carry my PDA (HP iPaq) with me. It's usefull, but I can operate without it. When I go jogging (or other sports) I never take my PDA with me. I do put my PDA next to me when I go sleeping, but telefone function off (I use it as my alarm).Some days, I leave it at home and I don't care.So I do use it a lot, but I'm not addicted.(Prepaid user :))

Cell phones are both a great, and horrid invention. It's wonderful that you can keep in touch with people on the go, and especially if you're in an emergency it's always good to be able to call 911 (or whatever your emergency number is), but as has been said, when I see 10 year olds with $300 phones and iPods, I feel like smacking the parents in the face. Kids shouldn't have those types of things, no matter WHAT the situation is! Ten year olds shouldn't even be going out on their own! Personally, I didn't get a phone until a few years ago (I was out of high school), and even today I don't use it a heck of a lot. Personally, I think the age someone should get a phone is about 13, when you go into highschool. That's when things may start to get a bit... dangerous. However, elementary (primary) school kids shouldn't have any sort of technology. The most they should be doing is passing notes - not text messages!

I hate cell phones

I Hate Cell Phones

I may not be a very a social person and that maybe why I never had a cell phone until my father gave me his cell phone. (a tiny one that has only the capability for phone calls and maybe texting which I have no clue how to use)

The funny thing is I like technology like video games, computers, Mp3, ect, but the cell phone makes me want to rip the creators of it a new one. I understand using it to make a quick phone call when NEEDED!

Example of something that just occurred. A mother ignoring her child by talking outside on the hell-phone oops I mean cell-phone for an HOUR. The kid started crying because he wanted to see his mother who he hadn't seen all day. And she was completely obivious to this.

This is true and I was p%$^#* off by this so I went to google typed in I hate cell phones and found this site.

-reply by crimson

I hate Cell Phones Too

I Hate Cell Phones

Okay, hate is a strong word but I really, really dislike cell phones.

I don�t own a cell phone, I�ve never used one and I doubt I ever will. As an outsider looking in, cell phones and all the other personal high-tech gadgetry is just really weird to me. I always thought of a telephone as just another appliance. To me, a phone is no different than a lamp, an oven, a refrigerator or a toaster. Carrying a phone absolutely everywhere is like carrying around a toaster everywhere. Okay, the concept of being able to make toast anytime, anywhere is really great but is it necessary? As I see it, the concept of making and receiving phone calls anytime, anywhere is great too but not really necessary and actually a bit silly (like toast). Granted, the world is full of popular things that aren�t necessary like Jell-o, hula-hoops and coca-cola but people aren�t carrying these things with them every waking moment like they do cell phones.

The really scarey thing about cell phones is the attachment people have to them. The things people say about their phones are downright bizarre. How many times have we heard, �I would die without my phone� or �I can�t live without it�? They also say, �my phone is my best friend�, �it is my whole life� and watch the people who come away from someplace where they can�t use it like a plane or theater. The minute they get out, their phone is to their ear.

Are we talking about phones or heroine here? The truth is, it makes no difference. Heroine is a chemical drug and cell phones are an electronic drug. The addiction is clearly the same. Both users are addicts too which is sad.

I just don�t think cell phones are necessary because we all got along fine without them. My land-line telephone in my home works perfectly and can not be improved upon. When it rings, it is almost always totally inconvenient and annoying. I can�t imagine carrying it around with me with a perpetual obligation to answer it. What a burden!

I think it would be great if cell phones had a huge tax assessed to them and their usage, like gasoline and cigarettes. That would be the perfect way to discourage their use for frivolous conversations. If cell phone bills were raised to something like $500 or $1,000 a month, parents wouldn�t give them to their children like a toy. Additionally, a huge usage tax would cut conversations to only the most imperative or emergency calls, as it should be.

Maybe someday, there will be an atmospheric condition that will cause the communication satellites to fall out of orbit and burn up in re-entry. It will be amusing to watch all the cell phone addicts go into uncontrollable withdrawal convulsions, complete with drooling and the incoherent muttering of the insane.

Seriously, I do feel sorry for you cell phone addicts. Your life is controlled by an object that is basically a toy. I think the Amish people have the right idea. The most high-tech thing they have is a plow or a candle. In their communities, they have virtually no murders, no suicides, no divorces, no stress, no traffic jams, nothing but peace & quiet. How cool would that be?

-JW

I absolutely hate cell phones. I hate people who use them when they drive, cross the street, rollerblade, use them in restaurants, on trains, planes, cruise ships, and especially at the movies. Just exactly what is so @$%*@Z? important to talk about? Are you really that self-important that you have to yammer away about trivial matters that no body gives a hoot about?I got one as a "gift" for my birthday about 3 months ago. I absolutely hated the rap music ringtone this insidious device played when it rang. I made the person change it. He showed me how to use it, but I just faked interset as not to hurt his feelings. It also had a camera, but he had no time to show me how to use it. The thing is still in the box. I have no intention on using it.I realize that everybody and his brother has one. I always tried NOT to be like everybody else. I absolutely refuse to become a cell phone zombie. I`m probably one of the only guys in America without one. And you know what? I like it that way! Remember one thing wether you have a cell phone or not. IF IT IS IMPORTANT THEY WILL CALL YOU BACK!-reply by Bad Hat

Cell-phones have become a neurosis in mylife. No really! They bother me SO MUCH! But it's not the phone. I'mNOT a technophobia, as people like to tell me. Phone = fine... So longas you ACTUALLY NEED ONE! But that's not the idea behind them. The ideabehind them is that everyone "needs"one! My God... I think cell-phones are the new smoking. When tobaccofirst hit the market, everyone smoked it (figuratively speaking ofcourse). And now that cell-phones are out... Right... Everyone has tohave it! Oh man... I just CAN'T WAIT for the day where bans come intoplay. I can't wait for "quit cell phone" programs and aids to help people go less wireless are out!Firstthing to hate about cell-phones... Ever have a conversation with afriend or relative and they either receive a call that they takeinstead of talking to you, even though you were having an interestingconversation, or they feel a sudden need to make a call?Second, EVERYONE tells me the same thing... "IT'S FOR EMERGENCIES LOL LOL LOL!"BULL! They yammer on those things 24/7 (yes, even in their sleep,because they're afraid they won't wake up in the morning or somesuch... I don't know! Cell phone people are NOT sane people!). And youknow what? When hammers first came out... Did everyone need one for anemergency even though those actually make a degree of sense? yeah...Someone messes with you, just WHACK EM and be done with it! But youdidn't see everyone walking around with emergency hammers did you? NO!Third is when these people feel a need to walk around trying to get a signal. Then they talk louder. "CAN YOU HEAR ME?! HOW ABOUT NOW?!"I feel like putting blind-folds on these idiots. If I must endure thiscrap, might as well see them walk into walls or trip and fall down,right? Right! And hey... They might break that infernal device theyhave attached to their ear!Fourth, it's all just marketing, away to make money. DON'T PEOPLE REALIZE THAT?! Of course they do. Butthey think so long as someone is making money, there's nothing wrongwith cell-phones!Fifth, although is like the first reason, theymust take every call. ABSOLUTELY NO EXCEPTIONS ALLOWED! They feel thatif they DON'T answer every call (as well as make calls to othercell phone idiots, just to make sure) that they didn't miss anything.WHAT ARE THESE SPACE-AGE ALIENS LOOKING FOR?! AND IF THEY'RE SOSPACE-AGE ALIEN... WHY CAN'T THEY FIND IT?!?!?Sixth, they maketriply certain that you have their stupid cell number. But apparently,they must have meant what part of the prison they are in because THEYDON'T ANSWER! How the... People who talk on the damnable device all thetime... Don't answer when I call them?! And it's an emergency?! See?They lie, too!Seventh, they get new ones every other month andhave to tell everyone their new cell phone number. In fact, I thinkthat's the point of these stupid things! Just call and tell everyonewhat your NEW (thus, presumably, interesting in some way in theirpathetic boring lives) number is. Um... Yeah. Whatever!Eighth... Well, there IS an eighth reason. I just forgot what it was!Ninth,they are devices for totalitarianism. Whether planting one on yourbratty kid to make sure they are where they said they would be, I'msure other parties can track you through them. And you know what? Theywant to eventually achieve a kind of computer/phone/thingamajig to goinside your HEAD! They're not the least bit shy in saying and lettingthe sheeple know ahead of time but bahahahah... They keeping buying andusing the things ANYWAY!Tenth, Did swiss army knives replacethe toolbox? Okay, so why is the cell phone trying to replace everythingthat ever was, is, and will be?! I'll tell you why! Some annoying nerdin the cell phone lab went and asked "how many features can dance on the head of a pin?"Now they're trying like heck to find out, as if that were in some wayimportant! Back in my day, nerds used to be COOL! Now they're totallyfreakin' insane!Eleventh...But this was eight that I forgotearlier... The genie is out of the bottle. I hate that saying. It meansthat even when people realize it's a bad idea, we CAN NOT, UNDER ANYCIRCUMSTANCE, admit our error and change things back to what they werebefore. This reminds me of the Wizard in the Wizard of Oz. "I can't come back, it's too late! Oh well... I'm leaving while you get to stay here, Dorothy! LOL LOL LOL!"Nope.Too late. The genie... Is OUT DUDE! The only way you can make the geniego away is to let another genie out that's hopefully going to obsoletethe OLD genie! (see head probes above).(growling) Look... Hangup the cell phone... Set the cell phone down...AND JUST PUT THE BLEEPINGGENIE BACK IN THE BOTTLE (breaks bottle over their head)... Ah, S.O.B.See? Now the genies is REALLY out of the bottle! Can't get him back inbecause the bottle's broke! And look at the genie! He's flying roundEVERYWHERE and just saying "weeeeee! Look at me! You can't put ME back! No sir! Weeeeeeeee!"Twelfth...Lol... I think a cell phone just fell out of the sky and hit me in thehead. It must belong to the genie! I most certainly don't like THAT!So in summary, genies totally ****. I hate them for those reasons.

I hate cell phonesI Hate Cell Phones

What I cannot STAND about people with cell phones is that when they are talking (not necessarily text-messaging, but sometimes), they seem to be ACTORS, completely OBLIVIOUS to the world around them, or they seem to be showing off to everyone else on the street, who are supposed to be their "audience."  Get this.  I once was walking down the street, and some woman was walking toward me, yapping away.  I did not get out of her way, and I brushed her side.  She did not even NOTICE! HA HA HA HA HAA! (Very lucky me, though, and I am NEVER trying that again).

In other words, the cell phone, which are supposed to make communication easier, actually limits it.  It distracts the user so much it puts him in another world.  It seems to bring them to "nowhere land" (like the Beatles song).

I admit, my parents made me get a cell phone.  I want to flush it down the toilet.  I want to be "free."  Being a musician, I recently wrote a story-song called Cellphone Blues, and the lyrics are not too pretty.

-Nick

-reply by NickKeywords: i hate cell phones

Fully Agreed.I Hate Cell Phones

Cell phones, and the culture that surrounds them, **** without question.  With, of course, the exception of carrying one in your car in case you break down.  But no one needs all of the useless crappy features that come with cell phones nowadays.  I, for one, cannot see myself constantly connected to people.  Let alone see myself in a "24 hour workday" situation where I am under the gun even when I'm off the clock.

My cell phone is right where it belongs:  Off, with the battery out, in my glove compartment.  Why's the battery out?  Because I don't like the idea of my phone sending out a GPS signal without my knowledge.  I have the ultimate GPS system in my car anyhow:  My compass.  But that's a different rant entirely.

-reply by Anonymous

Rock on, Luddites!I Hate Cell Phones

This thread was very pleasurable to read. Cell phones ****. You don't need one, you just think you do because everyone else has one. But it's precisely because everyone else has a cell phone that you shouldn't get one. Allow me to explain.

The most solid argument to have cell phones has something to do with emergencies. "But whatever will you do if...", the argument usually begins. Here's what you do if you're experiencing an "emergency": find the nearest person to you who undoubtedly has a cell phone, explain that you're having an emergency, and ask to borrow their phone. This method never fails unless you didn't sound earnest enough, so you might have to "sell it" a little. Then, you make that long distance call to grandma to wish her happy birthday and graciously thank the total stranger who let you borrow their phone. Shoot, we all know how to communicate here, so use your powers.

After all, unless you live in an incredibly rural area, when will you ever be in a situation where there isn't a cell phone-carrying person nearby? What do you, solo up K2 on the weekends or something?

Cell phones are also monuments to planned obsolescence and corporate antitrust. The minute you buy one, they release the next better thing you'll absolutely have to have. This sucks, so don't ever buy one. Plus, have you ever seen a cell phone that has all the features you want? Will they ever until about 2050? Then, by 2051, the 2050 models will still be too slow. As far as antitrust is concerned, the Feds need to be investigating the whole iPhone/AT&T relationship big time. My wife has that plan, it's completely overpriced, and why should you have to patronize AT&T just because you want a phone with some of the best features out there? I've been boycotting AT&T since the mid-1990's when their CEO gave himself a $20M pay raise during the same quarter that he laid off 20,000 of his workers. Now I have to boycott Apple, too. (But who cares, really--if it weren't for the iPhone and iPod all they're about is overpriced and underperforming computers that people who like to give money away swear by because of some kind of strange religious brainwashing that began in the early 1980's.)

The longitudinal study results about the link between cell phone-created EM radiation and brain cancer haven't been released yet, because the study isn't over yet. Last I heard, the lead researcher up at Cedars-Sinai in L.A. Mandated that his crew all use hands-free devices, all the time, because he's so scared about what he's seen so far. Mmmmmm. Brain cancer. Can my tumors get updates, just like my apps?

By the way, will they ever make a cell phone with features that can actually be used because there are buttons on it sized for adult human fingers, rather than the long and pointy fingers of Lilliputian, crowd-following troglodytes? The Jitterbug doesn't count. You get absolutely nothing with that ripoff plan. Companies love stealing from old people.

Finally, never forget one of the most important anthropological universals: every solution has inherent in its own design a unique set of problems that will have to be dealt with. Now we're dealing with no free time, bosses who can call you at any time of day or night, and a colossal glut of largely useless information...And we wantonly pay for all of this with our hard-earned money? Are we a nation of complete idiots? Let's face the music, here: unless you're Barack Obama, the CEO of a multinational corporation (who needs constant, verbal feedback on how efficiently you're destroying the earth so you can do it better and better), an on-call medical doctor, or their close cousin the drug dealer, you simply aren't important enough to really need a cell phone. Is your monthly fee really worth the imperceptibly minor inflation of your pretend importance that having a cell phone will provide?

So, I say to you, dear conscientious people who are iconoclastic enough to think for yourselves, don't break down! Resist! Use every cell of your mortal being to remain focused on the important things in life! Revel in having a brain! Rock on!

-reply by Christopher C.

Hmm...two weeks ago i broke 2 cellphones in 3 days...first one(nokia 5310(i think) xpress music)-I was going to show my friend a picture which was on my mobile...i threw it at him and he caught it, after he looked at it,i told him to throw it at me which he refused to do,after that i told him again to throw it to me,second time he did it and i was going to catch t with one hand...you can guess what happened-it fell out of my hands,fell on a leg of a table.i picked it up and i saw my screen was pictureless.(50$ for repair)second one-i bought nokia n73 to replace the xpress one which was on repair,and cause after all my battery didn't hold as much as i wanted it to.i had it for few hours and saw that software was very very old.i wanted to flash (update) it but i didn't have the cable.i went to my friends house and got it.i saw that the cable connection with cell phone was very bad,but i didn't care(i knew that if the connection fails during the installation of new firmware,cell phone can be ruined)...again,you can just imagine what happened...during flashing process,connection broke,so did my phone...Learn from my mistakes-Don't catch cell's with one hand, and don't flash your firmware with bad cable,after all just don't do it on your own...go to a store and make them do it for some money :(

If you stop and think about how much money you spend on cell phones, it's a bit rediculous. And what are you really paying for? I think partially we're paying for the privilage of being "up to date". So $150 per month means I can text and recieve texts (because your friends will think you're lame if you can't text or be texted). It means that when someone can't get a hold of me, they get even more upset becasue "why do you even have a cell phone if you don't answer it!" ... I get that a lot. It means that with internet, games and apps my kids will always have their eyes glued to a screen (there's no escape from TV, or games, or the internet!) That also means less quality family time and less communication. Yes, I think cell phones have up sides too, but maybe we were better off without them.Michelle Z.

If So $150 per month m

That could be another interesting topic, but let's ask the question here.You talk about $150 per month.
I pay $25 for two months. Of course I almost don't use my phone, and I send rather few SMS's. However, it's 12 times less than the amount you are talking about.
So, let's ask : how much do you pay for using your cellphone ?

I Completely Agree!I Hate Cell Phones

I wish that people would stop texting enough to realize that they've missed out on a lot.

I agree that they are important in case you are in a car crash and NEED to call someone.Otherwise, who cares if you are in you're car going to the supermarket. Not me.

Cellphones have caused the level of intelligence to go downand the level of incompetence to rise. I'm in middle school and according to everybody besides the teachers and one of my friends, you must have a cellphone in order to be supposedly "smart". If you tell anyone that cellphones are stupid, they just say that you're stupid and are jealous. They are so addicted to them and are the sort of people who are turning an intelligent society of people who have captivating face-to-face conversations into a boring, unimaginative society full of people with robot personalities.This is why I'm glad to not have one.

Being able to stay in touch is great, but only on my terms. When I leave my apartment to go to classes, or someplace else on campus, I leave my cell phone in my apartment. Why? Because if I'm going to sit in a classroom for an hour, which I'm paying to do, then I don't want people bothering me with text messages, pointless phone calls or other stupid stuff like that. And if I do take the phone with me, I make friends with the "off" button. That's probably my favorite feature, hehe.
I like being completely unavailable. That's the whole point of going out and doing things away from my apartment. That's why I go off by myself and ride my bike, hang out in the library, etc. I don't like being available 24 hours a day.

But I think I'm the only one on this entire campus who feels that way. I watch fellow students send text messages back and forth the entire class meeting. Or, they grab their phones to call their friends the second class gets out. They've only been out of touch for 50 minutes, but they're going through some sort of withdrawal symptoms or something.

How did these people manage to live before cell phones became affordable?

I understand that some people need to be available. Some employees need to be on call. Or people have children, and like to be available in case one of them becomes sick and needs to be picked up from school. But these situations are different. The college kids are just addicted to the stupid phones.

My biggest question, though, is about the cell phone technology. Why do we need miniature iPods in our wireless phones when we already have portable MP3 players that are a) cheaper than the phone and ;) capable of holding a lot more songs? Why do we need to browse the Internet on screens roughly the widths of our thumbs? And why, I must ask, do we have to take low-quality photos of pointless junk with these phones and immediately send these images to every friend we have?

So. Yes, I hate cell phones. I appreciate the very basic point of them (being able to make and receive calls as long as I have a decent signal). Beyond that, I don't care.

Well technically you don't "hate" cell phones, just you prefer to be unavailable at times. Plus this thread was made in 2006 when cell phones were still relatively new... more and more people are much more dependent on their phones then before.