xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
InitialDriveGTR

Fbi And Paypal Watchout

I received an e-mail from the FBI regarding fake Paypal sites, that simulate exactly what the real paypal site does. Be very careful when using paypal and other internet based shopping things. The URL's even look almost exactly the same. What you should watch out for is pages that request all of your account information, or stuff like Pin numbers or just in genneral stuff that they don't need to make a successful transaction, but what theifs do need. Just as a word(s) of caution.

I received an e-mail from the FBI regarding fake Paypal sites, that simulate exactly what the real paypal site does. Be very careful when using paypal and other internet based shopping things. The URL's even look almost exactly the same. What you should watch out for is pages that request all of your account information, or stuff like Pin numbers or just in genneral stuff that they don't need to make a successful transaction, but what theifs do need. Just as a word(s) of caution.

1064336257[/snapback]

I hate phishing e-mails. I received one claiming to be from PayPal a few weeks ago. The subject line was something about a PayPal payment for over a thousand dollars to an online watch store or some nonsense like that.

One dead giveaway that the "PayPal" e-mail is fake is if you aren't greeted by your personal or company name. If mine doesn't start with "Hello Sarah _____," then it's definitely fake and I report it.

The best thing that anybody can do is to report the fake e-mails. Make sure that you include full message headers so that the real Web site's employees, if not law-enforcement agencies, can track down the origin.

Most of these emails don't do a really good job spoofing/faking the links anyway. If you are careful you will spot it very easily. Next time you get one of these suspicious emails, hover your mouse over the link (do NOT click on it) and look at the status bar (bottom right in Internet Explorer). It will most likely NOT say Paypal or if it does, it's something else dot paypal, etc...

If you know how to look at the header information (make sure to set it to full header, not just the brief headers - at least that's how it is in Yahoo mail), then you should be able to have some idea if it's legit or not. I don't remember the details exactly, but this is what I see so far that helps. If you look at the Full Headers information, you should see a line for Return-Path: and one for From:. The Return-Path: should be the same as the From: line most of the times...If you are subscribing to newsletters and other similar services, there will probably be a third party in between with a difference address. Need to get another email from Paypal to see how it looks like...

Best (and easiest?) thing to do is hover your mouse over the link to be sure it's a legitimate Paypal site. Also get one of those Spoof tools like SpoofStick (made for Internet Explorer or Firefox) to be sure you are in the valid site.

I use pay pal along with 2checkout on my ecommerce site. I was at home the other day and my Dad uses the Netscape 8 Browser on Windows. I went to the Paypal site direct and it wouldn't hardly let me on giving me all kinds of warnings. Kinda made me think about it for a second. I was never keen on Pay Pal and never keep more than 750 USD in the account. The way in which PayPal acts like a bank, but wasn't a bank, and some of their other issues in the past kept me away. However, owning a small ecommerce site that does like $1,350 a month in sales, having PayPal as an option is needed because a lot of people reconize the name over 2checkout.com. So it is a love hate thing. One of these days I need to really talk with my Bank and see about having US Bank process the CC payments. I might have to switch shopping carts, but US Bank is also heavier on the fees. $.30 + 3% for Pay Pal isn't bad, but $.50 + 5.5% that 2CO charges is about the same as my Bank....

There are lots of frauders out there too. Watch out for those emails about sending money to help some foreign family in desperate need of help or something. It's annoying that I get those kinds of emails :/ Just keep an eye out and never send money to some place you never even signed up for or something.

I've been scammed on ebay with stolen paypal accounts. It ain't funny when you've already shipped the item then only get a percentage of what the auction price was. Lost lots and prob. won't ship out of North America again because of that.

Just what we need is someone trying to take more money from us. Thanks for the heads up, I use paypal quite often and I'd probably be fooled into something like this. I usually use it in conjunction with ebay or something but still. Never can be too careful with the $$.

Alright alright... it's just basically phishing mails.. and scams and schemes and ... you know what? I really hate those kind of people who do all these bad things to steal information and money from you. Tch... trickery and deceit, hmm? Well, eat justice, you lamos.We have to watch out when entering personal and $$$ information into some place - you always have to be careful and observant. What a dangerous world we live in right now...