xisto Community
abandongamez

What Is The Biggest Hard Drive In The World ?

Things change quickly...What Is The Biggest Hard Drive In The World ?

haha. I can see alot has changed since '05. But it doesn't take long for that to happen in the computer world. Damn Intel has a new processor coming out like every 1/2 yr. Or less now. But yeah, 500 GB is definitely not the biggest sold in stores now. Newegg has 2 TB HDDs for like $299, and large enterprise-based companies make HDDs for mainframe servers and supercomputers that are absolutely phenomenal. As said before, they can get up to the yottabytes now, which is ridiculous. And to think that probably less than 10 yrs ago, we were limited to 32GB w/ FAT32. Haha. Can't keep up for ****.

-reply by James Story

HereWhat Is The Biggest Hard Drive In The World ?

The new extra large drives they make in high end computers ARE NOT ONE DRIVE. They call it a "raid array" and it is actually 4 one terabyte byte drives. The problem is because it's 4 drives, the rate of failure is quadruple that of a single drive. They still don't have openly available 4 terabyte drives.

My problem is EVEN if you could find a giant drive, the standard data rate is 300 megaytes per second for the SATA drives in peoples' comps. This means copying a full DVD to disc would take about 15 2/3 seconds. This is the same exact speed you'd get out of a 15 gigabyte drive.

I also suffer much frustation over those "manufacturer's bytes". It turns a 1 terabyte drive into a 931 gigabyte drive. Grr.

Also, on ebay they don't have better than like the 1.5 "terabyte" drives that are being put out. Worst of all, 1.5 terabytes is like 1.3 gigabytes. Like getting a car with 25 miles per gallon and it comes out to 19 m.P.G. Or something because they "standardized" the system.

as far as i know that the biggest hard drive is of 2 tb which can be brought from a store...........but i have read that hard drives as much as 3000tb are also coming .....they are made using nano technology...........it would be great.........LOL

get a self enclosed hdd and u can put whatever size you want:) i shuld not i am in the tb right now cheers

Look at amazon What Is The Biggest Hard Drive In The World ?

Amazon are selling hard drives with 2000gb for about £480.

-reply by Antichrist84

5TB by 2010What Is The Biggest Hard Drive In The World ?

5 (five) Terra Bytes will have the HDD thatWould be produced by Hitachi in 2010. They say that they managed toCreate a technology that makes possible more that 1 TB per inch. ThisTechnology is called CPP-GMR (Current Perpendicular to the Plane GiantMagnetoresistance) and will allow more that 5 TB per 3.5inch Hard Drive.

-reply by Guest 2

current.What Is The Biggest Hard Drive In The World ?

The largest internal HDD's I have seen are about 500gb. External ranges from 2-2.5TB Currently there is a 3.5'' drive being worked on that will allow for 1.25PB thats Petra Bites, worth of space on a single drive. All this will be doable using nano technology. Something to do with controling the rotation of an electron. Google it and have fun :) 

-reply by aminadam

The biggest hard drive in the world was the one made by IBM in 1956 with a capacity of only 5 MB using 50 aluminum discs but its bigger than a refrigerator. Largest capacity? that's a different question.

-reply by dmax

There is some serious gravedigging going on here the first posts in this thread were from 4 years ago, I was about to post and tell people they were misinformed because back then HD's were alot smaller.Look at dates! it helps keep the integrity of the forumEDIT: I'm quickly finding out this isn't the only thread in this category that's from 2005.

Edited by tremayne (see edit history)

EDIT: I'm quickly finding out this isn't the only thread in this category that's from 2005.

There is no real reason suppressing threads that are from 2005. Most of the problems people express today are problems solved before 2005 bu somebody else. That's one part of the forum usage rules : before submitting a problem, have a look if this problem has not been already solved by a topic using the "search" button.
Namely all the command-line tools in windows are well-known since tens of years, and a lot of people still don't know thins like "chkdsk" or "ipconfig /release & ipconfig /renew"
as well as unix commands like "cfgmgr -v"

What Is The Biggest Hard Drive In The World ?What Is The Biggest Hard Drive In The World ?

There is talk of this 5TB and 10TB also a 300TB all by Christmas. But they do currently offer a 2.5TB at my local PC stores and many online suppliers have 4TB available for a price of 2 full alienware computers. Vista and XP currently only can handle 2TB in the master slot. While Linux can handle 8EB in theory. Lots of the big companies like google and yahoo currently have servers over 50PB and it is theorized that all the internet is about 10ZB and grows 500TB per day. TeraByte, Petabyte, Exabyte, zettabyte.Take this in consideration also. If you were to review an 80 yr old humans life assuming they slept 8hrs a day on HD 1920 x 1080/60i 4:2:0 format, would be 233TB of digital video & audio information.  

-reply by Drax The Space Clown

What is the biggest hard drive in the worldWhat Is The Biggest Hard Drive In The World ?

The largest capacity single spindle hard drive for a notebook computer is 500 GB (Dec 2009). The largest capacity single spingle hard drive SATA II for a desktop computer is 2TB (Dec 2009). 3TBsingle spindle hard drives are supposed to be released in 2010.

Larger capacities can be obtained with RAID ... @TB x # of drives = the capacity of the RAID.

Examples 2TB, 4TB, 6TB, 8TB, etc.

-reply by wem0320