xisto Community
designer

Easy PHP for the noobs

u can get it from: http://www.easyphp.org/

it's a easy using program for noobs. also it does not requires to be configs and it is ready to be used.

for those who where looking for a equal program as phptriad series then this is a good tool to use.

it contance a apache, mysql, php admin.

it has a page to acess all these things wich is realy easy to navigate though it. On the site u can see it main language is france....

for those who can't read/ understand france (because the readme file is also in france) i am conna explain how to use the program in english here. It just requires 2 steps( not that difficult)

first get the tool and instal it where u want. Normaly it goes to ur local root ( the c: ). but u can chose a diffrent directory. to run it just press easyphp. so it running.
now to display or test ur php work or to set up a database. U do as followed.

open ur browser and typ: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

that's ur navigation wich u can see what u can do and get some info about the software. as u can see there is a button wich says manage there u can create a mysqlo database.

oke now for ur work.

go to the directory where u instaled the easyphp tool and u will see a map wich called www. there u put ur php work in.

open ur browser and typ: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

there u can browse ur work that u have put in the map.

now u are set and done. good luck with the program! ur free to ask questions....

(note: for those who think this thread has been post somewhere else then ur right because i dubble post it:P sry for the inconvience)

For those who are wondering what these programs (like EasyPHP and XAMPP) does, it basically installed PHP, Apache and MySQL locally on your computer. Why do this? For those who want to test out scripts and the like, it will be much more convenient for them to do this straight from their computers instead of uploading it to their webhost and having them run there. You can also use all of these packages offline and it will work. One good example of why someone may use it is to install a test forum ;)There are a variety of these programs out there. I originally used XAMPP as well but have switched to another version called WAMP (http://www.wampserver.com/en/). I found it a bit easier to use and access the things I need.You may also type in localhost instead of 127.0.0.1 for the web address. It should pick it up and go straight to the admin panel for your package (ie: EasyPHP, XAMPP, WAMP, etc.).

I used to use EasyPHP but had quite a few problems (plus lack of updates) with hosting here (the code I wrote and the how it functioned on hosting).After quite a bit of reluctance I went for WAMP5 and even now I haven't bothered checking for updates as I am very happy with how it runs and the results on the hosting I have here at Asta Host are near perfect to what they are locally.Haven't tried out XAMPP though.

When I first went to work for the company I do now, they used easy PHP to host all their webpages from a single 1Ghz Celeron box and DSL connection. The first thing I did was order webspace from 1&1 and moved all the sites over to that server. Why? This company was in the business of website design, not hosting. For $120 a year we could afford way more space and BW than we'd ever use and if we needed more it was real simple to order another package. If I am going to be designing or managing a website, I don't want to have to worry about running the server. I used to lease a dedicated server and all that jazz until the last couple years when the discount server wars began. Even on my busiest personal site that hosts 200MB worth of 3D Models, we use at most 30GB of BW per month.

Ooh yes! I'm using EasyPHP right now. It's simple to install, isn't it? :ph34r: It's good for testing out your pages which occupy MySQL/PHP/etc. But I don't know if there is anything better than EasyPHP.

XAMP, WAMP are some good alternatives for EasyPHP.The major fault in EasyPHP is it lacks documentation and also no updates are released.whereas XAMP and WAMP have full documentation.

Wow yer I am a complete noob to most coding expect for some html but that's easy let alone PHP. EasyPHP looks good but i would say XAMP and WAMP look lot better. But who am I to say, thanks for this.

I used to use EasyPHP and I could say it was easy, moved to WAMP and later updated to Wampserver2, and for my localhost stuff I'm still using it, even though there are no new updates recently, but it doesn't really need them, if present you can only update the php, mysql or apache version, you just need to download the module.. Another thing I would like from Wampserver is easier options or easier editing with .conf or .ini files, whenever I change the apache version, my www directory is different from the default wampserver, but I can easily edit the conf file though, just it is irritating..Even though it's quite easy to create alias directories, load modules or change php settings. :rolleyes:

I didn't really use XAMPP to much that I could say which one is better, but I guess if you're not into using ftp, mail server or you don't need it, Wampserver could be your choice, but anyway, they both do the same, I guess there is no big difference.