xisto Community
qwijibow

KDE Or Gnome. Which Is The Desktop Of Your Choice and why ? (screenies welcome )

I've officially switched back to kde :lol: I had been using gnome for a long time but felt like shaking things up so when I switched to a new distro I switched to kde as well. I still use gnome./flux/etc on occasion but I think I'm going to use kde as my primary. It's insanely responsive on my system and usually looks a little flashier then gnome without losing any performance.Frankly though both are great choices obviously so it's really up to personal preferance. Trying both and picking the one you enjoy using day-to-day more is the only right choice.

of course. As I said many times on many forums (incl. Xisto); Linux is ALL ABOUT CHOICE.

xboxrulz

A way or another, it's linux, i didn't mean by i don't like kde that i prefer windows to it :lol:

To be honest I havent used linux much, though I could I dont know why. When I first used a live CD I used the KDE desktop so now I tend to use that although i havent actually tried Gnome so i shall be taking note of this thread an possibly using it very soon :lol: I guess the main reason i use KDE is because it was the first thing I tried and I tend to stick to the first thing I try! Also i like it because being a plain old windows user as I was i actually do like the way that windows displays, I just dont like the way it works :lol: so I'm happy with the way that KDE looks on-screen as it has a similar menu to the 'start' menu in windows and looks slightly similar so it makes it easier for me to use.

well kde looks good and familiar to a new user switching from Window$ however look at the gnome interface and themes especially clearlooks, i have to go with gnome and i bet a new user who never saw windows like enviroments would find gnome extremly easy to use..

the gtk engine is nice. gnome and xfce are therefore great in shape..

so long live gnome :lol::D:D

you could also try enlightenment for extremly beautiful desktop its' nice

Posted Image

Posted Image

that's enlightenment.. if i was home i would post some gnome shots maybe i'd post again when i am

so nobody works on Wmaker....so everybody bound to some task bar...
without task bar u can not work.... but so called task bar introduced by The great Microsoft.....

anybody have comment on this

well enlightenment doesn't and it's great i like it :D
anyway I'm not the only one using the PC at home so my parents kinda hate the idea of no task bar..
anyway if it makes tasks easier why not use it? even if it's made by M$

meither kde nor gnome they are too heavy i use xfce or window maker on my arch linux distribution. but if there is no possibility to choose from other i would mark gnome as better. why? becouse of smaller amout of space on hd required and not such glitering view.

Here's what I used while I was learning a new distro recently.

twm,

Posted Image

not very pretty.

as for kde or gnome, I dont really have a preference. Currently I'm using gnome2-lite on an older pentium 2.

pzaully

Edited by pzaully (see edit history)

I'm on WindowMaker :unsure: . It's extreme fast and is not confusing. But, from those two concerning this topic, I prefer using KDE, because actually the QT engines are faster than GTK2 engines. Yeah yeah! I know that the GTK themes are so wonderful, but I do hate that buggy and not flexible file-manager Nautilus. And plus, every time I open my mp3 dir in Nautilus, it crashes, maybe because it can't handle the mass of files and folders in the dir. Another point that makes me choose KDE, is because its file manager, the Konqueror, is extreme fast and flexible. I hope those windowmaker creators make a fast and useful file manager too! AH! Those wm-applets are COOL too! :D