xisto Community
qwijibow

KDE Or Gnome. Which Is The Desktop Of Your Choice and why ? (screenies welcome )

I prefere KDE above GNOME, just because of the looks ;) . DUnno what the realy difference between KDE & Gnome is, but I've just choosen the best looking of the 2 :D Btw, xboxrulz, wtf is InternetExplorer doing on your linux desktop ??? B)

I play Renegade, Generals and etc. on Cedega.

A little off-topic but, do you mean C&C Generals? I've tried it in Cedega, got the latest version of it as well, but it just isn't working. It starts out fine and the game also starts without any problems. But in anywhere between 10-60sec, all my units and building blow up by themselves and I get a "You have been defeated". Any suggestions?

KDE is extendible and is portable (you can run it on Windows ...google it if you dont believe me) and Gnome is simple and supposedly fast...blah blahall this debate is nice. But if KDE is so good why dont all the big dsitros choose it as default. And if GNOME is so good why dont we see innovations coming in it at a faster pace?the real issue should be , which should the new programmers take. I decided like a year ago i would stick with KDE. (which meant every thing QT or KDEA Application) But the truth is I still havenot found good alternatives to GTK Applications like Gkrellm2 , GAIM and FireFox (knoqueror is good but its not as good as firefox)I would like to see a group working on porting good apps of gtk to qt ..like maybe qtfirefox and qtgaim

there are many distributions that come in KDE than GNOME. Both are used quite widely actually.
xboxrulz

First one that come to my mind as KDE distro's are Suse (Novel), Mandriva, Slackware and Knoppix.
Gnome can be found in RedHat/Fedora, Ubuntu, ...(I seem to know more KDE distro's than GNOME distro's B) ).

A little bit OT, but I do start to like xfce, especialy on my slower computer. It's ugly, it's fast and the right-clickmenu is darn handy ;)

After some words i heared about kde, i decided to give it another, and may be last try, so i'm now on kde, till now it works fine, though i have some problems, like i can't open graphical applications from root:
ex.:
root@http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

# kate /etc/apache/httpd.conf
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

kate: cannot connect to X server :0.0
root@http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

this for now the only problem i face, i think it happens cause of a X server configuration issue.
anyway, kde is ok, but still i like gnome, i decided to give kde a try for a week, hope it will end quickly though, i miss my gnome desktop B)

this is an X security feature.

Allowing other users t access your X-session is to allow anyone on your network to log all your key strokes, mouse movements, and see your screen.

You shoudlnt really need to run X clients as root directly, when you needroot priivilages to config somthing, KDE will prompt for the root password.

if however ou do NEED to rubn one-off applications as root you can dissable the security feature temporerily with

xhost -

to re-enable, dubstitute - for a +

Allowing any other people logging into your system to view your X session.

however... Assuming that nobody else is loged into your computer, and X is NOT listening on tcp 6000 (or tcp 6000 is firewalled)

its safe to do so.

It seems on your distro, kde is defaulting to Secutiry, where as GNOME is defaulting to convinient. It differes from distro to distro.

for Example, in my gentoo, X is configured NOT to listen on the network, and root user is allowed access to X from the machine running X server. ( same for KDE and GNOME )

I like KDE a lot better than GNOME. KDE has more bells and whistles, and in my opinion it just looks better overrall...from a visual standpoint.KDE and GNOME are great window managers, but if you like to look at pretty things, KDE is the way to go.

if however ou do NEED to rubn one-off applications as root you can dissable the security feature temporerily with

xhost -

to re-enable, dubstitute - for a +

I tried this way, it didn't work too, i think X server configuration file need to be edited, but still didn't get the idea how to configure it or even where could i get it, anyway, once i will get it, i will post it here too, i'm searching for it on google, also i'm stuck to ubuntu forums tring to get it.

meither kde nor gnome they are too heavy :lol: i use xfce or window maker on my arch linux distribution. but if there is no possibility to choose from other i would mark gnome as better. why? becouse of smaller amout of space on hd required and not such glitering view.

kde is really bad for me, i can't handle it anymore, i'm into removing it and getting my preferred gnome back, i suffered a lot with that kde, never i will try it again, it's so slow, so crowded with icons and links and the greatest problem is the internet connection is so slow on it, really i prefer gnome :lol: