xisto Community
qwijibow

KDE Or Gnome. Which Is The Desktop Of Your Choice and why ? (screenies welcome )

In linux and need to work with the Unix command line.

Installing KDE, Gnome, it is unnecessary holes in the system.

Who is not critical, it is better to KDE, it is more progressive,

albeit heavy, but you can configure it. Gnome is faster but its ascetic scares me, but much better command line and MC.

KDE the Best

MC ? What is MC ? Memory Commitment ? Mine and Complementary ?

"MC" - Midnight Commander - a file manager with a text interface, the type of Norton Commander for UNIX-like operating systems, as well as Microsoft Windows and Windows NT, OS / 2, Apple Mac OS X (but not Mac OS 9).

Midnight Commander (GNU Midnight Commander) is part of GNU, and all developers have transferred their rights to a program of Free Software Foundation.

As you do not know or do not understand from the fact that I wrote the MC, rather than as an mc at the command line? :o

Edited by Match (see edit history)

s you do not know or do not understand from the fact that I wrote the MC, rather than as an mc at the command line? blink.gif

I knew Norton Commander (nc from the command line) but I did not know mc (or MC).I know the capital letter problem, sometimes I have to type Firefox on Unix systems and sometimes it's firefox, it's slightly confusing.

Details of the mc it http://www.midnight-commander.org/

A very good editor.

What NC ported under Unix?

agreed to write mc-Midnight Commander, NC-Norton Commander

Do not use Norton, under Unix.

I do not even know that there is a Norton for Unix, and in the ports did not notice it. :o

post-21719-1170920466_thumb.jpg

Edited by Match (see edit history)

Do not use Norton, under Unix.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I was talking about command line under Windows or under Ms-Dos for nc, and under Unix (AIX) for Firefox.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I was talking about command line under Windows or under Ms-Dos for nc, and under Unix (AIX) for Firefox.

I understand now, just a topic about KDE vs Gnome.

Although you can install KDE on Windows through Cygwin :o

I used Gnome for about 2 years in my Ubuntu. It has a nice view, and the best thing is, fully supported by Ubuntu Team.But then I heard some good things on Kubuntu (KDE type of Ubuntu). I installed it and I really love it. I also love the packages included in Kubuntu desktop.The problem is, I just feel that Ubuntu team gives more attention on Ubuntu development than Kubuntu or Xubuntu. I got a problem when I tried to install SKIM for Kubuntu though I didn't got the problem in Ubuntu. Also, it was a little unstable in the first time. Dunno why.For me, Kubuntu (KDE) has a slight (?) better performance than Ubuntu (Gnome), but also a little bit buggy :o

Gnome was first, being default. It's okay, the basic pre-installed options were good. I was happy with several combinations I could make in GUI in ten minutes. KDE was a lot worse, again only GUI in ten minutes, nothing good. I then tried Compiz on both and it made Gnome better, KDE worse. I ended up with XFCE + Compiz, which is dumb but pretty.Now unmodified Aqua (OSX) ftw. Never seen anything better.

Hm, it seems you pretty hate KDE so much. What do you mean with worse and nothing good? I installed Kubuntu and i satisfied with it. I tried XFCE once. It was light, but i still prefer Gnome.(I wish i could try OSX too >_<......)

gnome is much easier than KDE. I suggest newbies to use gnome and after getting familiar with linux shift to KDE.

I'd still stick to KDE3 than going GNOME. KDE3 is less confusing and it runs really fast thanks to the QToolkit.

xboxrulz