xisto Community
zeek

Notepad++ reallly rules

yeah, I love notepad too.. It opens up fast and useful for quick editing..I have used Editplus2, It is too good, especially its regular expression feature and column selecting feature... but the thing is that it is a shareware.. so cannot use it for more than 30 days trial period....would love to get some tool like Editplus2 for free... not that I like all s/w to be free but cannot afford something in dollars for personal use... when an sort of working alternative like notepad (though not all the features )is available...Cheers.

I agree with everyones thoughts on Notepad. It is a very nice piece of software that gets bundled with all Microsoft Operatins Systems.I use it frequently for my web editing, mainly because I dont want to wait forever for Dreamweaver to load, because I use a slow system.I even to prefer to code manually with Notepad, and with the convient feature of saving websites as any format as you wish, even more convienent. Its to bad that some company doesnt makes a very basic, not a resource hog, web editing WISWYG type of software.

I use AceHTML 5 Freeware, a text editor from Visicom Media. Unfortunately, I don't know if you can get the freeware version anymore but I really like it cos of it's code colour-coding and extended search and replace features. It also has a handy menu for inserting HTML characters like & etc. (saves typing).

Hi, I am very surprised after reading this thread. Is there a new version of Notepad that implements more functionality or are we speaking about the simple, almost empty, "all life" Notepad that comes with Windows. I agree that it is better than Frontpage or Dreamweber but please if you want to use a "man" editor use Vim or Emacs. Which by are both cross-platform editors and open source. Notepad is good to write the first lines of code of your life but please... move to something serious.

I disagree.I think that people who use Notepad are those who want total control over their codes, and are thus highly likely to know exactly what they're doing.And anyway, you shouldn't judge people by how they code stuff. The ends justify the means I say.I doubt that using Vim or other "man" editors will help much for someone if he has never coded in his life.

:P notepad

ok, there are lot of coder/editor software free or commercial which are very powerful and great!!!
i liked notepad, too. :( of course when nuthin is available....

but here are my current toolz which using most of da time,
for window os & freebie - phpDesigner 2005
for mac os & freebie - Smultron or barebone textWrangler

for commercial, macromedia > dreamweaver are ever great tool on earth for me :(

I disagree.

I think that people who use Notepad are those who want total control over their codes, and are thus highly likely to know exactly what they're doing.

And anyway, you shouldn't judge people by how they code stuff. The ends justify the means I say.

I doubt that using Vim or other "man" editors will help much for someone if he has never coded in his life.

140153[/snapback]

I agree that Notepad is a good beginning for peope who want to have total control over their codes. But the next step is to move to a most powerful editor. I strongly believe that using a editor like Emacs/Vim can save and help a lot developers. For example syntax highlighting.... Another one that comes into my mind Emacs includes a GDB debugger.

A Vim/Gvim tutorial only takes around one hour. And believe me, it will improve the developing process (speed, developer statisfaction...)

I am very surprised after reading this thread. Is there a new version of Notepad that implements more functionality or are we speaking about the simple, almost empty,  "all life" Notepad that comes with Windows. I agree that it is better than Frontpage or Dreamweber but please if you want to use a "man" editor use Vim or Emacs. Which by are both cross-platform editors and open source.

If you check the topic title, the program in question is Notepad++, and yes, it is a more powerful web editor than Notepad (the plain text editor) although it still doesn't have as many of the features I like to see in a text-based web editor.

Notepad?
It is primitive.

Even if you are a hardcore coder, you need to have a look at HTML-kit. It is available on http://www.chami.com/. It has coloring options of codes for many languages and is an absolute beauty to work with.

And it is a freeware.

If you check the topic title, the program in question is Notepad++, and yes, it is a more powerful web editor than Notepad (the plain text editor) although it still doesn't have as many of the features I like to see in a text-based web editor.

140844[/snapback]

I have to say that Tyssen is right. This program is not just the all-known Notepad which you can find in Win XP. It's much better and has more functions

Here you can download it: http://www.filesforfree.com/download/notepadplusplus.php

For php, html & CSS programming is the best editor i can have installed right now at my computer, i sincerely don't like the programs like dreamwaver or microsoft frontpage (im talking about creating html pages) because all of this META tags "extra" that they put in your page, i personally found them confusing because they make my html document a little heavy (in kb), and with the notepad y just can create every tag (of course it requires to memorize the tags and all that stuff..well it really doesn't..

JSP code highlighting in Notepad++ SUX...You have to specify 'java' as language but it hardly has any colors and is not clear...HTML code highlighting is not very good, so ony for complex PHP programming (and some other languages I don't use probably)...

i love notepad because you can create any file possible and you can even make you opn file like for example doc.rob or whatever thats y i love it so much