xisto Community
the_furious1

Having Problems Setting Up A Home Network

I'm trying to setup a home network at my house but I'm having some problems.I make a new network and everything, and I can see the computers but I can't access them. It says that I don't have permission or something.I have a desktop computer that is connected to the router using ethernet cable and a laptop that has wireless connection.Any ideas on what am I doing wrong?

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

It says that I don't have permission or something.

Maybe it's right. Depends on what you want to do.What do you mean by "I can see the computers", and what is "I can't access them"?
Probably "I can see the computers" means that you can see that they are present on the network.
However, what did you want to access ?
I guess you want to access files ? In a folder ? Did you activate "sharing" on that folder ? When activating sharing on that folder, did you choose "allow anybody to read and write any file in that folder " ? If not, you will receive that "permission denied", it's standard permission things.
By the way, how is your network organized ? Did you choose by yourself your IP addresses ? Then, try adding the IP addresses and computer names in the etc/hosts file.
HTH
Yordan

Yordan, I think, has hit this one on the bulls eye. If your trying to access files on another computer on your network then you will have to have a specific file/folder set to allow sharing. Although if you haven't made sure that your routher has a built in firewall and that it is properly set up I personally would be very carefull abou sharing even over my own network. I would make sure that the files I want to share are on their own partition/drive and that only a single folder was setup for access. Though I'm a bit paranoid about people getting access to any personal information."Just because your paranoid doesn't mean the bastards aren't out to get ya."Just a bit of humor, bad though it might be. Hope I helped ya out.

If they are seeing the other computers on the network he's at least halfway done and now all that is left is to set up sharing see pix below:

Posted Image

Notice the arrow pointing to shared items with them being held by the little hand..

Posted Image

Right click whatever you want to share and you should see this menu, and if you dont then you need to enable file and print sharing. At least using Windows machines. For that try the Help and Support and in the little search box type file and print sharing and it should walk you through it.

I'm trying to setup a home network at my house but I'm having some problems.

I make a new network and everything, and I can see the computers but I can't access them. It says that I don't have permission or something.

I have a desktop computer that is connected to the router using ethernet cable and a laptop that has wireless connection.

Any ideas on what am I doing wrong?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you have Windows XP, Goto 'Start' (on the taskbar - the bottom bar on the screen) and then 'All Programs' then goto 'Accessories' then click on 'Windows Explorer'. Inside Explorer, you will need to goto the 'Tools' tab at the top, then click on 'Folder Options...'. Inside the folder options area, click on the 'view' tab. Scroll down to the bottom of the list, and unselect 'Use simple file sharing (recommended)'. You will now have the ability to change permissions for the folders and drives.

Note: You cannot share folders/files that are inside a user folder thing under Documents & Settings, e.g. C:\Documents & Settings\TheJeffsta\ - you wont be able to share these folders and their sub-folders. If you need to share them, create a copy of that folder elsewhere - The desktop is located through the user folders things and therefore dont create a copy on the desktop, add one to C:\ or somewhere around there.

I hope this helps. If you require more help, now that it allows you to set folder/file permissions, sites on google will be able to help you even easier/more.

Thanks for all the replies, they helped me but my network is still not working!On my laptop I have Windows XP professional and on my desktop I have Windows XP Media Edition.I am trying to setup the network where I'll be shearing only one folder on each computer so I don't have to use my flash drive when I want to move some files from one computer to other.If anybody doesn’t mind, a walkthrough through the whole process would be very appreciated.

Suppose that you have some documents you want to share on a machine whose network name is ForSharing, in a folder called C:\MyStories\, and you want to copy them to a machine call TheClient, or copy them to it.

The easiest way to do this, IMHO, is using Windows drive mapping.

First make sure that the two machines have the same workgroup name.

Log onto ForSharing (best as an Administrator), go to C: (if you're not already there, right click on the MyStories folder, Properties|Sharing, and tell Windows that you want to share it. You can probably leave the permissions on their current defaults, for now. It's best to make up a new share name, instead of the default share name. StoryShare, for example. After you click OK, you will discover that Windows has put a little hand on the icon representing MyStories, to show that it has been shared.

Now log onto TheClient. Double click My Computer (or any other folder or virtual folder). Hit "Tools" on the top. Then choose "Map Network Drive". In the worst case, choose a letter for the virtual drive, then type in \\ForSharing\StoryShare . ("Browse" usually works, but....) "Reconnect at logon" means what it says; you can use it or not. Depending on permissions and other security settings, you may have to use "Connect using another user name". If not, hitting Finish will give you a screen which asks for a password.

These instructions are for Win2000, and will probably also work in WinXP Classic View. Things may have different names in the snazzy view.

If you run into trouble, give us details as to what goes wrong, including the error message you get at each stage.

I'm trying to setup a home network at my house but I'm having some problems.

I make a new network and everything, and I can see the computers but I can't access them. It says that I don't have permission or something.

I have a desktop computer that is connected to the router using ethernet cable and a laptop that has wireless connection.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It means you may not have anything shared on the computer. And i dont know how this works but my network used to ask for passwords, and i took the passwords off the guest accounts (too keep certain people off the computer but are now gone) and it didnt ask for the passwords anymore.

It's still not working!!!When I open up the network (MSHome) window on my laptop I can see the shared computer but I can't access them. On the other hand when I double-click on mshome on my desktop computer it's showing an error message saying "The list of servers for this workgroup in not currently available".I have firewalls on both computers. On my laptop I have ZoneAlarm and on my home PC I have Norton Firewall 2004 and my router is ZyXEL Prestige 600 Series.Please help!!!

I'm sorry that I just noticed this topic. I would have offered help sooner. My first thought when I read the first post of this topic was firewall. You'll need to set the IP addresses for both computers as safe or accepted or whatever in ALL of your firewalss on BOTH computers. If you have winXP with Service Pack 2, you'll need to click your advanced firewall settings and add your IP address to the allowed IP address section. If you do not have winXP with SP2, then just turn the windows firewall off. In your other firewalls and internet security programs, please set your IP address to the allowed section as described in your softwares help files.Again, as everyone has suggested, be sure to set the disks, directories, or files you wish to share as described in the help files reguarding network file sharing.I'm sorry not to be more specific about the required steps but with all of the software possibilities and OS choices, it has gotten difficult to know how each system works. I know what to do but without sitting in front of your PC, I can't describe the process blind.Hope this helps you out. B)vujsa

connecting to the internet on windows me pc switches off internet on windows xp pcs.Having Problems Setting Up A Home Network

I have home networked my windows xp pcs successfully but the problem I am having relates to my windows me pc.  Whenever I  connect to the internet on  my windows me pc the other computers in the house looses the internet connection and cannot connect.  Can someone please tell me why I am having this problem.

THANKS

-question by John

answers for about problem is :1-you are trying to connect a server which is not configured correctly check the settingsmake sure both computers are on the same workgroup eg (MShome) or (Workgroup) (Network)2-also there could be the problem becouse of different OS Win XP and Win 7 just play arround get yourhands dirty google the output of your "error message" you ill find couple of answers to try more..I have Cisco networking video Tutorials basic to advance more than 25 hrs teaching willing to sell very low price

Edited by yordan
Do not show your e-mail here (see edit history)

I'm trying to setup a home network at my house but I'm having some problems.I make a new network and everything, and I can see the computers but I can't access them. It says that I don't have permission or something.

check you're Router's Firewall and Security settings, check your two Hosts (PCs) Firewall Settings as well... If both can see each other but can't access then it's very likely a firewall issue

connecting to the internet on windows me pc switches off internet on windows xp pcs.Having Problems Setting Up A Home Network

I have home networked my windows xp pcs successfully but the problem I am having relates to my windows me pc. Whenever I connect to the internet on my windows me pc the other computers in the house looses the internet connection and cannot connect. Can someone please tell me why I am having this problem.

THANKS

-question by John

In your Local Area Connection properties try to use manual TCP/IP, dont use it Automatically.

If you use modem router, you must see what is IP of your modem router, normally IP for modem router is 192.168.1.1 and then use this IP for your computer number 1: 192.168.1.2, computer number 2: 192.168.1.3, and so on. Default gateway must be 192.168.1.1 (modem router IP), for Preferred DNS you can use 192.168.1.1 or use google DNS: Preferred 8.8.8.8, Alternate 8.8.4.4

Hope this help

Sorry for my bad english