xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

AlienWare - Good Or Bad

2. "4000,00 on a PC, and it still lags" Lag has nothing to do with the computer. Lag has to do with the connection speed of your modem/internet provider. Lag is to the time taken for a packet of data to travel between the local computer, the destination and back again. So it dosen't matter how good of a computer you have, if you have a 56k your still gona lag like hell. What your probaly thinking of is the word Choppy.

In fps games, there are two types of lags.

Serverlag, and FPS lag.

Serverlag is what you stated, a connection problem with the server.

Fps lag is because your computer can't keep up with the rendering of the game visuals, this happens usually when it gets crowded in your field of view (eg. spray gun fest or something). If you have a 4000 dollar pc it's probably because the settings aren't good, but normally it's just because your graphics card (or any other hardware component ) can't keep up with the game.

Both have as result a choppy game experience, but the reasons are totally different :huh:

i also would never go with buying off the internet, not only could i get better specs but i could GET WHAT I WANT, dont get my wrong alienware is flashy but dam when that stacker 830 im going to use it, thye should have the more custom options for what u want considering the labor fees u pay for buying off there...

1) they are so over priced u can build a pc on alian ware for $1.5k and if u look at the acul parts and just goto newegg.com or something u could build the same sytem for $800 less! iv done it. 2) Alian ware uses lower quality OEM (and for all u non computer people out there, that means just the peice not the box or manul and somtimes warrenty) 3) they use water cooling (which is why they over heat) water cooling is cool but its not for gaming. its for the casual person who doesnt push there pc. the type of person who doesnt like to hear sound. but as we all gamers who build computers out ther know the sound means its IS being cooled. we dont our components being fried to nothing. the only thing i can say for alianware is that there customer support isnt THAT bad, not as bad as dell.

Please RECONSIDER DOING BUSINESS WITH ALIENWARE CORPI recently bought a new M9750 laptop, the system came with it never worked !Called Tech support, They will attempt to make you fix your system on your own! but at the end, no Solution! Problems still exist ! Asking for a full-refund for a computer that have never been worked @ the first place! 15% restocking fee will apply, I asked the supervision if there is any circumstances that the fee can be remove, he said to me, yes, if you have never recieved your computer !! I will never do business with them again, disputed the charge on my master card ! wasted my time, energy, and resouces! Got nothing but a TERRIBLE EXPERIENCES!Try google "alienware problems / alienware review / alienware suck"They are all filled up with negative feedback !The only positive feedback I can find are those who got pay to do so! "comp magazine" Hope this help to alter your decision!

Alienware

AlienWare - Good Or Bad

I have had 2 Alienware laptops in the past 3 years. I am not a gamer, I just bought them because I thought it was the best my money could buy. I have money, it looks tight, they use the best high end parts, and the computer comes with nothing on it (clean slate). I fully customized both of them, so they have exactly what I want. My first one was a Sentia (the 12 inch mobile laptop) and now I have a M-5500 (15 inch).

Both laptops had a problem with over heating to the point where they would randomly shut down (really pisses me off!!). I think this is because there is so much power in the computer that no fan can really cool it down. I run Vista, but I don't run hard core programs or games, but I do always have Nortorn running. I basically just go on the Internet and write papers and stuff and it still over heats. I guess I'm outta luck because these high powered machines just have that problem, so I have learned to live with it.

As far as customer service goes, they just started outsourcing phone calls about 1.5 years ago. You used to speak to American people, but now its totally obvious you are speaking to an Indian dude who can barely understand you and visa versa. However, after exemplifying some patients, the customer service people can help you with the basic problems.

But, if you run into any sort of hardware failure, then you are super screwed. If your computer is under warranty, then you gotta send it in and you are totally screwed for about a month or 2. They really lag on servicing it and sending it back..

On that note comes my second and only other compliant. Alienware upgrades their stuff all the time meaning they discontinue product. For example, after my 1 year warranty on this new laptop expired, I began to have problems with my cd burner. They no longer carry that cd burner anymore (its literally been about 15 months) and they pretty much told me that I should have bought the extended warranty. Now I am stuck with a bum cd burner and there is no real way to fix it because the specific part is discontinued.

Other than that, its a sick laptop. The graphics are awesome, and the speed and performance is also awesome.

-Kevin E

Replying to irwan6179I have an alien ware notebook. Not only does it **** the power from the wall and you can pray for a 45 min battery (don't count on it). It now randomly shuts down on me. I have it off the table and run a fan under it to help blow away the heat but now it wont even run cold. I've done everything possible and it isn't used for online...I had been using it purely for single player graphic intense games... Gothic 3, medieval total war 2 etc... This didnt start happening until about a year after I got it though but because of the problems I have with it I'll never buy another alienware. The damn thing cost 3400$ and customer service is as crap as comcast is in service.-reply by crazedwombat

Honestly I think they are over rated and over priced as im sure alot of people will agree. There amazing computers with the cutting edge graphics and system hardware but the price tag they add onto it is honestly too much for the average consumer. There are alternatives to this such as buying and builiding your own system which can easily done by buying components and looking online for a guide that tells you how to build your own custom rig. I hope this helped

Aleinware - Unbelievably Poor Quality Control

AlienWare - Good Or Bad

My wife just dropped $2500 on an Alienware desktop for my son. After failing to deliver the product for two weeks and several irate phone calls, Alienware finally delivered.

We attempted to turn the computer on. No joy. Called Alienware Tech Support. After an hour on the phone with a guy who could not communicate with non-technical people, we finally determined (ourselves) that Alienware had failed to connect the power switch inside the computer. Yes, you actually have to take the panel off and finish assembling the machine correctly for them. Our desktop came with a long list of QA/QC procedures that Alienware had said they performed before shipping the computer. Apparently, turning the machine on isn't one of them.

Next, we tried to connect to the Internet via our wireless LAN. Again, no joy. Another call to tech support. There is no wireless card in the desktop. I buy computers for less than $1K now that have wireless capability.

Finally, we set about plugging in the Logitech volume control cable into the Alienware speaker. Can't do it. Bent pins on the speaker.

Next call will be to our credit card company to cancel payment. Monday this POS goes back to Alienware.

Save your money. Buy from reputible manufacturer.

-reply by Joe Hughart

ALIENWARE

AlienWare - Good Or Bad

First of all thank you for this site.

My experiance with Alienware...

Yes I fell for the Alienware hype hook line and sinker.

I orderd an Alienware computer Area-51 with the new 1GB NVIDIAGeForce GTX 280 June 26th over nighted a payment to them. My 1st mistake made no diffrence they did not register my payment till July 3d. Ok this is normal verifying funds I thought (CERTIFIED MONEY ORDER)...Scoff

Ok so where off to the races right? wrong I get a call from the sales guy saying that the new cards could not work with the 1kw power supply so we downgraded it to the 750. And I get a $100 credit spent on some other upgrades.

2 days later I get an e-mail saying that the video card is now on back order and my machine is in limbo land.

I am very frustraited at this point I called the company to speak with some one AFTER 33 mins of listening to the Alienware radar "blip" music on hold (ow my ears) and speak to the official cancelation team I am about to cancel my order and of course they tell me they have the cards in stock they just would like to test them for 2 weeks to ensure they don't have any problems with them because it's such new technoligy.

The best line the cancelation team person tells me is that "they hand build their machines vs dell who uses assembly line machines to build theirs". Thinking to my self isn't Dell the parent company of Alienware? so I fell in the trap again thinking ok good things come to those who wait. Right...?

I woke up and checked the Alienware site this morning and now they offer the same card with a dual setup. Somthing just is not adding up here now.

Hmmm...

Why would a card they are just trying out and cant ship be offerd with a two of those of video cards with the 1kw power supply?

I actully understand it now... I get it ! (Alienware) = A LIE and WARES.

So I started doing some Alienware problems search on the internet and found your site and an intresting Utube video where a guy who bought an Alienware laptop spent 6 hours with tech support only to find they never connected a wire from the power supply inside to the motherboard.

This gentelman comments about tech support was actully positive and after he said "reformatted the machine and re installed the os it worked perfectly so much for the 200 point inspection lol".

Today when they open up I am calling them and canceling this over priced paper weight. I wanted to buy the best.. Thinking spending the extra money for somthing would make it better.. That might be true in with other products "The so called you get what you paid for" but I am not to sure this will ever pan out with this company.

If they would have told me in the beginning about the problems they where having with this card or delays I think I would not be as upset but honestly why would you dupe the general public into buying somthing from a so called top of the line company that does not even know if it will work properly? incase you are wondering what this fool spent and why I am grumbling just under $5000 and yes that would have been money well spent some where else...

Hope some one else has better luck with them than I did... And thanks for allowing me to vent. Thanks again for this site..

Buyers Beware !!

-reply by B FISH

I don't personally use AlienWare products myself, but have had classmates almost sell me to buying them. But that was a few years ago, and this is the first I have even heard about them again. So like anything in the world, it could be true that they are faulty, and have many problems... I think anything does.I have heard it was newer technology with a really cool flair to it. I have seen a few things that my classmates had, and it was quite cutting edge. I am sorry to hear that it may not working well for others, but I think if I had a chance, I would probably try it out for myself.- skedad -

I've always known, and often warned, against anything by Dell, which includes Alienware and something else.What exactly is good? Building your own is often complicated, and Mac is amazing but about £100 for the name.

AlienWare used to be good, until they were snapped up by Dell. Anything Dell touches automatically turns up to be crap because of crappy quality control and etc.I rather gamers just built their own machines. Save them money and it doesn't take a long time doing it yourself.xboxrulz

I personally don't think it is wise to invest that so much money into a gaming computer/notebook that has all the latest features and hardware. There probably is more worthwile and better things to use the money on. I usually choose the medium performing hardware for my computer since I don't play hardware-intensive games regularly.