xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

AlienWare - Good Or Bad

Dell/Alienware nothing but trouble. No customer service. Lies, Lies. Lies.AlienWare - Good Or Bad

I ordered a high end Dell XPS  Sept6, 2009.  The shipment due by the end of September was delayed over and over, and I got a string of canned lies as excuses about delivery and production.  Finally, in early November they admitted that they were not longer making that model, and planned to cancel my order!  I asked just when they planned to tell me.  I need this computer for work, as I design 3D content for virtual environments, professionally.  So, at their urging I finally agreed to reorder and placed an order for a loaded Alienware Aurora ALX.  Delivery on it was late, and I received it on December 6, 3 months after my initial order.  It didn't ever work as it should, and they eventually sent a tech out to change out the motherboard.  He left here frustrated as he was never able to load windows, and got an error message that the hard drive failed.  Dell sent another hard drive, and all new memory.  The tech returned and left hours later unable to get the computer running.  Both times he left saying he'd request a new computer.  So, I placed an order for yet another computer on December 16th.  It was promised to me by December 26th.  Today is January 5, 2010, and there is still no estimated delivery date shown on the order.  However, the first payment on my preferred "no interest for a year" Dell account, on the computer that never worked, is due tomorrow.  That computer is sitting on the floor of my office, unplugged and waiting to be shipped back to Dell.

You see, they do not promised to replace a computer that doesn't work.  They only promise to replace parts, for the hundreds of dollars that they charge for maintenance.  A computer costing over $4000 should work, and service should be the best.  I will NEVER order another Dell computer.  If I can get someone to talk to me, I'm cancelling the yet undelivered replacement computer, clearing my account of all charges, and returning ever sticker, wire, and non-functioning part of this Alienware.  Dell is no longer the same company it used to be.  I would never recommend them.  They no longer have domestic sales or customer service.  I have been ordering from them for the last 10 years.  

-reply by Kathleen

I just got alienware, TODAY, and it owns, there are so far no problems and it runs perfectly fine, very smooth and quiet equiped with many custom upgrades I have made to it (before shipment) and its great. The design is awesome (for showing off of course) and its great...Well hope u get 1 good luck :) and no problems what so ever except that it came with windows 7 which sux compared to xp, not sure about vista (well I hate vista too) 

-reply by Alienware Owner

I just got alienware, TODAY, and it owns, there are so far no problems and it runs perfectly fine, very smooth and quiet equiped with many custom upgrades I have made to it (before shipment) and its great. The design is awesome (for showing off of course) and its great...Well hope u get 1 good luck :) and no problems what so ever except that it came with windows 7 which sux compared to xp, not sure about vista (well I hate vista too) 

-reply by Alienware Owner

The brand is very cool. It has cool name, cool stuff, custom PC's and many many other stuff but there is one little problem... There in the US the prices are all right but here, in Europe the prices are overflowing! If the PC is 1000$, here is sold for 1500 euros. :S I like AlienWare very much but i can't afford 1500 euros for a static PC when i can buy hardware for 500 euros by my self.

I bought an m17x a couple months back from Microcenter.  It's been a great machine, and at the price I paid (~$1200, it was an open box) quite the deal.  The case is thick, but there's a good 1.5" of breathing room around the cpu and graphics cards.  The heatsinks are in a position where they're easy to clean, it's a grand total of 11 screws to get the case and ducting away to actually clean dust out.  I've had one issue (a hdd that died) and after speaking with a dell rep in India for 30 seconds I got transfered over to an Alienware rep in California.  I got my new harddrive within 48 hours.  I've got no complaints whatsoever.

-reply by Alex Smith

Head phojne jacksAlienWare - Good Or Bad

I have an Aurora system and I have an issue with the the mini mic and headset jacks on the top. When plugging in the head set I only can get sound from the left side.  Submitted a waranty claim and the technician came out to replace the entire nmodule. He was at my home from 3:30 PM to 9 PM ona Sunday!.

Instead of hooking up the new component to check if that waould solve the problem, he removed the old one and installed the new one only to find out it did not fix the issue. Now the two USB jacks do not work as well as the MIC and HEAD SET jacks.  Technician said they need to replace the mother board.

This was shipped from the factory with the problem. What happened to QC?

-reply by Paul

I have an Alienware Aurora...Right nowI'm waiting for "backordered" parts...Which is new fans and a motherboard (would not think those should have to be backordered). I got my machine in April 2010 and by the end of te frst month it ws having a problem where after I turned it on it would click off and on and then the loud initial fan noise would continue..

Only a restart would improve the noise. I called three times and they would internally reset the fans...But that didn't help...And now (October) it finally shut down. After hours with CS and one of my dual graphics cards outside the machine...And the hard disk formatted..They decided I needed new parts and would send an on site repair person. This lso happened to a friend with the same machine..She said it is a 'known' problem with the mother boards. So now I'm waiting... It will be a week tomorrow. I am on my old DELL gaming machine..And it actually works better than the Alienware.

LOVE my Computer!!AlienWare - Good Or Bad

I have had my Alienware computer for a while now and could not be happier. Was it worth the cost? Absolutely! Dell doesn't seem to have ruined Alienware yet, at least not mine. It's wicked good looking yes, but runs like a dream. I have a ton of upgrades and haven't had a bit of trouble with anything. Glad I make the investment in spite of the naysayers. I thought it was kind of funny that the people recommending I not buy this computer, actually never owned one. Before I bought this one, I bought two brand new Dell's. . .Both had bad motherboards, and that was just the beginning of the nightmares. Needless to say, Dell has both of them back and I have Alienware. Too bad Dell will ruin these too in short order.

-reply by Dragonstar55

Alienware is goodAlienWare - Good Or Bad

My brother got an alienware m11x laptop. He had a few issues with the charging cable, but that's because it was being tugged on a lot. They ARE really good systems. It can supposedly run Crysis on medium.For everyone claiming that building your own computer is expensive, not all of us have the know-how, nor the patience, nor the lack of a life to do so.

-reply by Guest

AlienwareAlienWare - Good Or Bad

Replying to broli I've had mine for about four months. I have only one complaint. I've been sitting on it all day and night. No wonder people complain about them. I feel the only way I am going to crack this addiction is if I throw it out the third floor window. The heat isn't a problem as long as you let it breathe. Don't block the vent. I dropped it about a week ago. No problems even after that. My guess is jealously. As some guy once put it "The reason why people hate alienware is the same reason why it is easier to get keyed in a ferrari than it is in a ford focus." No owner of alienware is going to complain about it on a computer they are using and even if it were to break how would they complain? Get a new one and then blog about how bad it was? yea okay... In short the ones complaining have never owned an alienware computer.

reply by Dweller