xisto Community
herenvardo

Gmail: Simply The Best Comparations make it clear

Yes, at the moment Google are a damn good company, with quality products at a good price (generally free, and you can't get a better price than that).It will be interesting to see if they stay this way, or slowly but surely change into just another momey making enterprise which starts to overlook the customers needs and wants.Time will tell I guess.

Gmail is still in Beta testing. Basically that means gmail is still not an official product yet; Google is still adding stuff to gmail trying to improve it. I'm sure it'll stay free for a long time.I just don't like how your Gmail account expires in a year and that every email you send has google ads in it. But that's life - what do you expect for 2 Gigabites?

I think GMail is great, I stopped using msn and yahoo.I only use yahoo for chatting in the messenger and myyahoo page.The GMail Notifier is excellent.

I havee been using gmail for 1 year and I foun it very usefull.I think the posts about gmail is true.I am sending a invitation to Barchil.I learned that gmail will make it 3 GB in the strat of 2006 but it didn't, doesn't matter because some people is using as a hard disk like my parents , and it is a excellent pop mail when you do the right settings with it's help.

Yeah, Gmail is a great e-mail service provider indeed. I love it so much!! Hahaha! Simply the best, sure it is. I was so frustrated with Hotmail's 2 megabyte storage space and I couldn't receive e-mails with picture attachments and you know, you HAVE to delete 'em or else you won't be able to receive anymore e-mails!! So, there you go, Gmail simply relieves you of the frustration and stress that comes from shortage of e-mail storage, insufficient attachment size, and also...The language and rich-text feature that comes with Gmail, and yeah, beats them all. You guys know that I am Korean. Gmail supports Korean, Hotmail doesn't. What a shame. Microsoft, what are you thinking?! Gmail just beat you! Hahaha!!Alright, I don't really laugh in Microsoft's face but it's really a shame that they provide only 2 megabytes of storage while forcing us to watch those stupid and annoying banners. If they were popups, I would have stopped using Hotmail long time ago ;) Man... I really don't like all their stupid and crappy advertisements. Yesh, I agree with you - they take up the whole half of the screen :D:P :)I also have to agree with other people in these categories/issues:1. Clean interface, fast too!--This is the fastest e-mail service I have every experienced in my life. I thought Yahoo beat Hotmail some years ago, but Gmail comes in and shazaam bazaam!! Lightning-quick loads... (well, maybe because I have broadband?) But it doesn't matter. Hotmail still takes some time to load the pages and such.--The interface is very clean and simple. Compose mail? Contacts? Inbox? Spam? Trash? My goodness.. praise Gmail :D You dont have to click through every button and tab to get to somewhere (like in Hotmail). It's very cool. I first though it was some e-mail program built into their web service... hahaha. It's not! Well, not an application... but hmm.. what's the difference between an application and a program? :D2. Labelling, Contacts, Name Fill-Ins--Edit your contacts very easily. Attach notes. Beats all other e-mails. End of story.--Label your e-mails. Organize them however you like. Beats all other e-mails. End of story.--E-mail address filled in by pressing an alphabet (and maybe several strokes of up/down arrow) and enter (or instead of alphabet, maybe a letter or some other key for 'unique' e-mails). No other e-mail services have this feature. Beats 'em all. End of story.3. Advertisements? Gasp!!--Although Gmail has ads, it's not really a big of a deal. I usually don't catch that advertisement box unless I'm just looking around the screen. Hotmail and Yahoo are all banners and image ads - very annoying. They are eye-catchy because of animation and the use of lots of colors. We don't want it. Gmail beats 'em.4. Who's winning the battle?--Gmail. End of story.

GMail is the best email so far. It's got 2 gigs of mail space, that's more than enough. I've only used 50mb so far and it's been 6 months since i got invited. If anyone wants to get an invitation just ask me i have a hundred left, literally. I'd also recommend AIM Mail if you use AIM.

What about any negatives? So far, everyone's been gushing about GMail and how wonderful it is... [ to which I agree toa certain degree] Here are my ideas on what Gmail's lacking:
- IMAP4 support as pointed out by another user in this thread
- A column for size of the message. Very often, knowing the size of the email is critical when you ned to send a largish file to someone whose mail provider may not allow large attachments OR like me, I just like to know what size the email is.
- Not Skinnable (via CSS)
- Unable to automatically add contacts to address book after sending email (An option to add contacts is available in the email options though!)
- No option to REDIRECT an email (forwarding a message inclusive of the original headers)

There might well be others, but these few are the ones that come to mind right now. Make no mistake - I do like GMail and use it as a repository to collect emails that clutter up my primary mailbox.

for my side and on most of gmail users, IMAP4 is not a requirement, most of the users only needs the webaccess and the POP support.

on the column for sizes, you can check the attachements sizes on the fly while attaching files. it is also a common that some free email providers give you a miniscule of 1mb less for attachments and email size.
unless that you are going to send a very long novel via email or a big attachement file/s then this will provide a problem. I have been using gmail to send 800mb file in chunks in to a 10mb message size max capacity email account and each chunk 1 sent is 500kb less than the limit. I have never seen a problem and all except 1 chunk get through. the one that failed is due to server restart on the receiving side.

the add contacts was automatic on my side. each time that I send an email. Gmail silently adds the email address on my personal account. at first i mis understood this as a cookie but this was not really a cookie. rather something like a backgroud silent process since i can retrieve the email addreses that i have not added regardless of where i login.

on the forwarding part.. i can forward the emails using filters.. i dont know about the original headers since i never bother to check them but the common details in the header is intact. like the

to:

and subject:

fields..

----
i have no comment on the skinnable CSS. Never need it anyway.. And if you are on the themed email then why just not use an email client and set it to send HTML emails.

Just my few cents..
---

on Email usage... I have reached 890MB of used space in Gmail as of now and have already deleted around 1 Gig of email. and I notice something about Gmail a few months ago, the archieve is not counted on the total size used. Maybe a bug.. never have time to send very large data anyway..

Hmmm... I did not know it did that. That is definitely a worthwhile feature. I have gotten into the habit with web forms of editting the fields in another editor and pasting the finished text. I have been in too many situations where either the browser or, more often, the remote application bombed out.
How in the world does it manage this? The text is typed on the client; as far as I know it is not transmitted until the message is submitted. Is there a Javascript in the background which sends intermediate versions?

Gmail is an Ajax follower.. It uses Ajax to silently monitor and control your browser.. that is the reason why Gmail nags you to have a compatible browser and javascripts be on. on some other reason you wont Gmail control your browsing experience.. just use the html version and see what Gmail is when everything is stripped down.

Ajax is method in which a webpage is devided in segments and the chunks is being fetched from the live server. This content is being read by javascripts and inserted dynamically on their <Div> tags. This will give you the effect of browsing and searching stuffs whithout leaving the browser windown or changing pages.

:(

Gmail is an Ajax follower.. It uses Ajax to silently monitor and control your browser.. that is the reason why Gmail nags you to have a compatible browser and javascripts be on. on some other reason you wont Gmail control your browsing experience.. just use the html version and see what Gmail is when everything is stripped down.

Yep. And truth is, it's that Ajax that makes Gmail great. At one point I had IE5, and Gmail wouldn't function...no chat. No automatic refreshes. ;)

Anyways, these are the things I enjoy about Gmail:

-Gtalk integrated in a column at the side (although the downside of this is that if I really want to work and not have any distractions, I can't even check my email for fear that my friends will talk to me.... :( )

-The automatic refreshes

-It's non-clutter design (ahhh...very simple, just like the Google homepage)

-Email forwarding with filters....and emailing with one account under the name of another (one is my 'professional' account and the other one's for my friends)

-Auto save. Really nice when I have to shut down FF for whatever reason--Gmail already saved the message. :P

And while they do have some ads, the ads are so tiny I rarely notice them. Really easy to ignore, and they don't take forever to download unlike the MSN ones. Though I got rid of MSN ads through adBlock :(

yeah but what really bugs me about gmail..is that when u sign in,..and just after finishing checking ure inbox and just close it,..it saves ure inbox link!means if any other use the computer u se in,..he can easily type gmail.com and get ure inbox site!..unlike hotmail which automatically log u out without a need ..

yeah but what really bugs me about gmail..is that when u sign in,..and just after finishing checking ure inbox and just close it,..it saves ure inbox link!means if any other use the computer u se in,..he can easily type gmail.com and get ure inbox site!..unlike hotmail which automatically log u out without a need ..

Oh that happened to me before...to avoid that, just don't check the "remember me" check box when you log in to Gmail. Then it won't remember your email and it will log you out automatically and tell you to log in again later. :(

I've been using Google's e-mail service, gmail, and found it great. I don't want to make a post saying only this, so I'll make a comparation of its features against its competitor's ones.

Space: MSN Hotmail, in its paid version, provides 2GB of storage. Gmail currently gives you 2,5GB. The fact is that this space is continuosly increasing, and you may check it at gmail's homepage. So, it is not only the biggest e-mail, it's also the only one that grows. Comparing to free services, the biggest one I've found is at spymac.com, which is 1GB. In this aspect, gmail beats competence.

Pricings: Gmail is free. Such a price, by definition, is unbeatable. There are a lot of free e-mail services, but they can only tie, never win, to gmail, since they offer the same price: free. So, in pricing, gmail is tied with many sites at top.

Advertising: I'll avoid comparing with paid systems, because they do not need advertising, only to free services. Hotmail's free e-mail main window takes about a half of the screen, since the other half is invaded by banners. Other systems are a bit discrete, but there is always at least a banner ad. In a gmail account, when you open a message it is scanned automatically for keywords; these keywords are used to select a set of text ads that are clearly separated in a column at the right, as done in Google's search results. No banners at all, and all ads are relevant, so Gmail beats again.

Language: Currently, gmail is available at 29 different languages, and they are working on more. In most e-mail services, you have only english available. There are many that also allow the local language of the providers, so you'll normally have one or two languages to choose from. Another point for gmail.

POP access: Of course, gmail provides you POP access, to download your mail through the software you prefer. But gmail goes beyond allowing, it helps you to configure your e-mail client step by step and even provides a tool that does it for you on the most used clients: Outlook (& Express), Eudora, etc. The nearest competition on this feature is the Outlook-Hotmail combo: since they are both from Microsoft, Outlook is able to access your Hotmail account giving only the username and password. Even so, gmail's tools are wider and better. Once again, gmail clearly beats.

HTML mail: well, they are not the best here. Even gmail gives many options for html formatting, such as font, color & style, it's beaten by those services that allow you to write your own code. So, in this aspect it's good but not the best. Maybe only half point here? Anyhow, remember that gmail is still a beta, and it won't surprise me if in some weeks they improve that.

Xtras: Gmail notifier allows you to monitor your mail from the system tray. Picassa makes managing and mailing image files a children game; you may convert among formats, resize to save space and bandwith, and many other features.

So, features speak for themselves: gmail rocks! Also, I'd like to make some comments: Google's philosophy is to beat competence by making its products widely better. Even if they achieve this or not, there is no doubt they do their best. That forces the competition to improve a lot to keep the bussines going on, and in a medium and long term, it's a great benefit for users. Also, remember that gmail is still in a beta stage, which means that Google still do not consider it enough.

Hoping be useful,

Herenvardo

PS: I've a lot of invitations for gmail. If you need an account, PM me telling why do you need it and I might send you one.

I know. All my friends are using it but i'm still using the hotmail. :D