xisto Community
herenvardo

Gmail: Simply The Best Comparations make it clear

I have to say I use Gmail more than Hotmail now. Ever since Gmail came out! I always check Gmail first... maybe almost everyday but Hotmail? Bah... forget it. 2 megabytes of disk space and advertisements everywhere. Gmail? 2.3 gigabytes of disk space and no advertisements anywhere.I mean... it's a win-win situation for Gmail. However, it's too bad you can't block out spam. You can only put filtering to stuff them in the trash. Yeah... I think Gmail really needs a spam-blocker feature. I am getting about 5 spam mails everyday... or maybe 3 or 4. It's annoying because I don't want spam!! Just advertisements from 3rd party organizations. First, I sign up for a newsletter and I got spam from one company. Then, it exponentially increases to "Would you like a free PSP?" or "Free Scholarship Money!" or "Get a Quote on your Credit for Free!" or "The Blue Pill!"Hotmail's spam blocker doesn't work very well. That's why I hate it. Gmail is probably the best, I think.

Hey wait a sec.. who said you can't block spam ? Gmail's got an awesome spam filter that's active round the clock. Till date I haven't received a single spam.. first of all I hardly get spam in this service - most are weeded out before they reach your inbox.. and the one that manage to slip through are caught by the spam filter in the webmail interface diverting them straight to your spam box. I haven't had to manually configure a single filter. Only once I think I had a spam mail, which I very conveniently marked as spam using the button right on top and that's it - have been at peace ever since.You should start marking your spam mails using the Mark Spam button.. it's right on top of your message list - and also on top of your message view.

Hey wait a sec.. who said you can't block spam ? Gmail's got an awesome spam filter that's active round the clock. [...]

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The main difference between a spam filtering feature and a spam blocking feature is that, in the latter, the e-mail is rejected and the sender gets notified of this.

The advantage of spam blocking is that you don't have to inspect your spam box because there is no spam box. Therefore, there is no legit e-mail that may have been wrongly flagged as spam, that the sender believes you have received. If the e-mail is flagged as spammed, the mail bounced and the sender knows...

Spam blocking and spam filtering can be used together: a high-level spam tolerance can be set for spam blocking and a lower-level spam tolerance can be set to spam filtering.

Hope this helps.

John.

Heyas again. Just thought of another great thing about GMail. Back a few months ago, you could connect to it thorugh SSL by using
https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin?service=mail&passive=true&rm=false&continue=
https://mail.google.com/mail/
(notice the httpS). Now, GMail will actualy redirect you from the HTTP access to HTTPS.

Why is this good? Well, if you go to school like me, and your school is as paranoid as mine and has CyberSitter or some other ridiculus data filter on that blocks email sites and stuff, SSL is the fix. None of those types of programs will filter out data over an SSL connection.

Kinda makes me want to find an SSL proxy :D

Ohh, as far as Google making money, yea, they do. Check thier stock quotes or something. Google has been profitable for a long time, with advertisers pay hugh bags of cash to have thier sites apear at the top of search results in the little blue boxes. Check out this CNet article if you don't believe. $342.8 million USD net income on $1.38 billion USD in revinue for the second quarter this year (that's a 3 month period, BTW). Thier stock is trading at around $300 USD a share!

QBRADQ

@ Yordan: How come you have so much occupied! I only have like 10 MBs occupied of my GMail account.

I don't really care now, but probably pictures received from my cousins as well as google mail alerts concerning some news are responsible of that growing disk usage.

What about any negatives? So far, everyone's been gushing about GMail and how wonderful it is... [ to which I agree toa certain degree] Here are my ideas on what Gmail's lacking:- IMAP4 support as pointed out by another user in this thread- A column for size of the message. Very often, knowing the size of the email is critical when you ned to send a largish file to someone whose mail provider may not allow large attachments OR like me, I just like to know what size the email is.- Not Skinnable (via CSS)- Unable to automatically add contacts to address book after sending email (An option to add contacts is available in the email options though!)- No option to REDIRECT an email (forwarding a message inclusive of the original headers)There might well be others, but these few are the ones that come to mind right now. Make no mistake - I do like GMail and use it as a repository to collect emails that clutter up my primary mailbox.

lol, i have only like 5MB combined with 4 gmail accounts. Im using it cause I like googles services and this one is one of the best. Other good google products are google earth, cant see my house but can see other places such as were microsoft and all that are lol.I remember when there was a big rush for gmail invites and invites selling on ebay and all that for like $100. Now you just go anywhere and basically most people have a gmail account.

i use gmail and i think u r right. it is a good mail provider, but, if u r not planning to use all 2gb provited you can make it with yahoo, who gives you 1gb and it does not need invitation. even more, the big attachments r not so good cz if the one you r mailing to has not a good mailing provider will not be able to view your attachments. thx

I got 600 Gmail invites so if anyone wants gmail I can email them a few account because i really dont need 600 gmail invites...I agree Gmail is very good currently i use the email kennychetal@gmail.com.Message Me If You want some (Private message)

Spam blocking and spam filtering can be used together: a high-level spam tolerance can be set for spam blocking and a lower-level spam tolerance can be set to spam filtering.

1064319101[/snapback]

That's the key, right there. I personally prefer having a spam box, myself, because most things that are wrongly flagged as spam aren't emails from my friends, saying hello. They're auto-generated emails from forums and such that I've signed up for.. things I need to recieve, and, as it is, a reply-flag saying "This email has been blocked by a spam filter" would fall on deaf ears.

Buuuuut.. it's a lovely service, Gmail. And the just keep adding things. Recently, they started testing a system that shows RSS feeds at the top of your inbox (web clips). Although only a random few users got selected to test it, it's a fun addition. (Although not really anything I would miss, if it went away ^^; )

I don`t like it they changed their max file size.Earlier you could store larger files and you had a nice program to acces gmail from "My computer" ...but now..it doesn`t works.Maybe I schould not use a mailserver as a fileserver :mellow: