xisto Community
rodneylay

Astahost A Place To Play, Nothing Else Serious hosting needs, go elsewhere

Just a quick hint here, Some of the admins and mods here are also mods on Xisto. It's the same company, guys, so that should give you a clou. THe reason we seem to be ferocious, is simple. Because if we have to "quote" the rules for every single action we take, we have to give up jobs, school etc and sit here all day for free doing things that most don't.

If you read the rules, and follow 'em, you're ok. If you don't then YOU should read the rules again. That's how simple it is.

Yes, in Xisto, you will find Moderators and Administrators warning and banning upon criticism, even when they deserve it. I'm glad that the staff members here are unbiased, or at the very least, can control themselves when feeling the need to be biased.

Actually, we don't mind criticism, or opinions, we mind the way most offer it. For some odd reason, on trap users seem even more inclined to just insult us and use a load of foul language towards admins or mods (and I do mean foul foul language - I've been told to drop dead, go F--- myself and way more that's even more offensive). THose are the users that get banned and will not even get a slim chance to listen to a possible explanation. Of course this is not seen by the public, because it's done in a pm, and then those same users, post in the forum how unjust they have been threated. And it's those posts that we do instantly delete.

Free speech is taken for granted yet not fully understood by the public at large.  If your gonna comment on it please study it and then make an informed statement.  Freedom of speech DOES NOT give you the right to publicly insult someone or question their heritage, what it does do is give you the right to make informed statements regarding relevant issues without the fear of reprisal from the government.  That is what I understand Free Speech to be, and it only extends to public publications, where as this is a service offered to us Free Speech only extends as far as the people that run it are willing to let it go.  Seeing as how it is free and we did agree to the TOS then we really have no option but to let the powers that be here at Xisto, Xisto, Xisto, etc... decide what we can or cannot post.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hate that this is now a semantic argument, but what you are describing is a very narrow interpretation of the expression "free speech". By United States legal standards, you may very well be correct. I am merely referring to the freedom to speak. Of course they could have muzzled the initiator of this thread, but instead they allowed him to speak freely. I support free speech where it is legally-protected and even on privately-owned fora where it is not. Is that clear enough?

I wasn't trying to initiate a debate over the finer points of free speech. I was just stating that people declaring their right to free speech whenever and where ever yet not knowing what they are talking about. I appologize for getting off topic.

Actually, we don't mind criticism, or opinions, we mind the way most offer it. For some odd reason, on trap users seem even more inclined to just insult us and use a load of foul language towards admins or mods (and I do mean foul foul language - I've been told to drop dead, go F--- myself and way more that's even more offensive). THose are the users that get banned and will not even get a slim chance to listen to a possible explanation. Of course this is not seen by the public, because it's done in a pm, and then those same users, post in the forum how unjust they have been threated. And it's those posts that we do instantly delete.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to say that I agree with that view about Xisto...that was the host I was with originally, and then when I started discussing something in one of the forums that related to my job in a certain maligned industry, I got a lot of flames and bad msgs from people in that forum, and then NilsC suggested I come over here, and it's been great. (Sidenote: I went back to get the direct link back to the topic, and found a lot more people had replied recently in defense of me, so yeah to that, tho.) As long as I don't get too out of hand, and keep my credits up, I have nothing to worry about. Not only that, but the customer service and tech support is a heck of alot better than a lot of the other free servers out there, who might get back to you about your questions or downtime once in a blue moon. So, all in all, I love Xisto, even with some people coming in here with mistaken ideas of what to do and say here.

I have to say that I agree with that view about Xisto...that was the host I was with originally, and then when I started discussing something in one of the forums that related to my job in a certain maligned industry, I got a lot of flames and bad msgs from people in that forum, and then NilsC suggested I come over here, and it's been great.

So, all in all, I love Xisto, even with some people coming in here with mistaken ideas of what to do and say here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you confuse curiosity for derision. I was fascinated by your admission of working in the adult industry in such a vanilla environment. This industry is fascinating to me, because it works in a very atypical fashion. I'm sorry if you misinterpreted my questions as anything but an attempt to satisfy my own curiosity, or mistook my facetiousness as making fun of you. The only thing of which I am guilty is being slightly off-topic (very off-topic here, but I do deserve a defense).

In my experience, members of the adult industry are very open about what they do. So I was completely taken aghast by your negative reaction. Perhaps you'd like to discuss this privately to resolve what I see as a grudge?

Hold it guuys - lets not make this thread a repetition of the one on Xisto .. this was on Xisto and lets keep it to that. No more flaming please - or else, I'll be forced to close down this thread. For discussions on Social, Moral or Ethical issues you can fork off this thread and start a new one under LifeTalk in a suitable subforum.

Hold it guuys - lets not make this thread a repetition of the one on Xisto .. this was on Xisto and lets keep it to that. No more flaming please - or else, I'll be forced to close down this thread.

I'm sorry about what I said. It's just that chivalry isn't dead (as we all know) and I tend to be a little angry when someone says something bad about a girl.
But about Xisto, it's really funny what Rodney said. I think he was a bit touchy about not getting a response. But in my opinion, someone owed it to Rodney to just tell him, "You lost credits because you copied and pasted someone elses work onto your post in Computer Talk." Only that would be enough, I think.

But when someone puts their soul into developing their ezboard forum (and believe me, it's SO not "easy") the staff bans him for spamming IN HIS OWN FORUM! This guy deserved reasons ezboard wasn't going to give.

Service, helpfulness and kindness of staff members are all that separate the exact same plan on the same server of which one plan is free and one that is paid. Xisto wouldn't mean ANYTHING, with the service plans and all if the staff calls their members a little @#$% in their faces. Because people have better things to do than put up with these kinds of staff members you find in places like ezboard.

But enough about ezboard, look at AOL. I mean they give you a so-called "free trial for 1538 hours" and they keep charging you. And when you ask them why, you honestly will end up treated like dirt. I mean, have you tried talking to them on the hotline, man?

And by the way, Miamihost isn't new. They have been here but closed down and reopened. Miamihost.net used to be miamihost.com.

As another poster siad, despite the fact that rodneyley was overly rude and quite possibly plageurizing (sp?), he *does* have a valid point (A stopped clock ... :mellow:). There should be a simple log of changes to the credit amounts. I am currently dealing with a situation where my credits have changed suddenly and made my site inaccessible. I have no idea why and I cannot fix it. I do not see any posts which have been replied to by moderators and adjusted down; I have the email option checked, so one would think that would have told me. There is no easy way I am aware of for a user to find out.

The moderator made several statements which are troubling, not because they indicate anything shady going on but just because they are optimistic to the point of insanity.

<paraphrased> There is nothing wrong with the credits system because we wrote it; points don't mysteriously disappear.

I have been a (good) programmer most of my life. I am a careful programmer with unit tests and documentation and peer code reviews and acceptance tests. My code has bugs. Everybody's code has bugs. If that Jewish carpenter had been a programmer instead, the world *might* have seen some bug free code. Computers *often* do things mysteriously either because the programmer or the user (or both) do not quite understand what the computer has been instructed to do or all the forces in play. A user-visible audit trail makes finding glitches easier.

Further, the moderation system has humans-in-the-loop. Humans make mistakes and it is not a big deal. Maybe the wrong post is sometimes selected. Maybe a similarity is accidental or maybe the external post is a copy. (Doesn't seem to have happened here- I looked at the post in question, but I have seen it happen with other systems). A simple audit trail will make arguments easier to resolve because at least everyone will be discussing the same thing. In my current case, as stated, I have no idea what the issue is at all and have not been told. A moderator should not have to dig back through logs to find this out- their time is better spent. It should be recorded in the first place. Having done moderation of various kinds, the act of examining the post and deciding is the biggest effort. Typing a short comment to go in a log which gets displayed to the user should not be a big deal.

<Paraphrased>The user is impatient expecting their measly problem to be dealt with and we have really important things to do.

*Really bad support attitude*, regardless of what the user has done. The small glitches are usually 90% of the support load in any installed system. A small glitch disables a site just as effectively and the user is just as inconvenienced. If Xisto does not have the resources to deal with the problems than they do not have enough resources to offer the service they agreed to provide. The admin post strikes me as a "Your problem does not exist because I do not have time for it."

Additionally, as noted above, moderators would not have to search for the answer if there were a visible, auditable log. If points are not randomly deleted, then *someone* made the change. That someone knows what the problem is and can record it. It is then a very simple matter and does not have to involve an admin at all. You will have empowered the user *to solve their own problem*. :-)

Your post, [link] has been modded down because it is a "Me, too.", See [Rule #5].

Inactive for 24 hours: -1 credit.

For most situations, these log entries can be canned or almost canned.

I know mistakes happen on Xisto for the simple reason that they happen everywhere. Keep a visible log of some kind, either a list of all the user's posts where they can see any moderation changes (ala Slashdot) or a journal of credit changes, like a bank statement.

You do not take money (that is, cash) at Xisto for the free site, but, as you say yourself, you do it for economic reasons and are "paid" for the effort. For your own sanity and that of the user, display regular account statements. At the very least you will spend a little less time dealing with cranky users.
:blink:

The fact of the matter is that even though rodneyley did have some form of a point, he represented it in such a poor fashion, he should not have assumed any further handling or apologies - period.

I recall a problem that occured with my account not too long ago; I noticed one day after having checked my e-mail that, apparently, my hosting account had been suspended. I checked the source of such an accusation, and found that there was simply some mistake. I immediately took it upon myself to handle the matter. I e-mailed OpaQue with a long descriptive account of my account happenings (with "good roads, good weather), then e-mailed Xisto - Support. Though it ultimately took OpaQue some time to post a reply, I was patient and I waited. I kind of realized that OpaQue had other things to handle, and would get to me in due time - which he did. I later sorted the problem with little upset and I have not had any other problem.

Do you see the difference?

I didn't post a rant about my dislike of the host, I handled the matter rationally. In the first place, I had not actually broken the rules or caused a disruption, I had simply found a mistake with the account concerns, and thusly fixed it. That's it.

So, to all the "rodneyley(s)" out there, be patient, handle the your problems accordingly, and any complaints you have with, in this case, a host, boast it to the correct staff - then MOVE ON.

Handling your "screw-ups" since 1989 - :mellow:,

HTML_GURU

"Xisto, a place to play" don't get me laughing man, are you serious? When I readed this post I thought this was supposed to be in the "J0kes forum" :blink: , this is simply to cheap for words. Maybe your credits dropped from 31 to 13 because the credits script did thought you weren't worth it to get your hosting at such a good site as Xisto.com. Go cry somewhere else man, Xisto ROCKSSS and that will never change. If there's someone waiting a whole week for his hosting because there was something wrong, or whatever happend in that case I think we shouldn't listen to you. Opaque, no critique on you, not the slightest, but I think you're realy wasting your time. :mellow: This guy is just to impatient for Xisto. Maybe he should try at Xisto, that's the site for that kind of n**bs, isn't it? (Sorry for flaming, but I'm quite upset about this).-=jeroen=- (still upset)

The team that run Xisto run it on very little or no funding, and you expect them to bend over backwards, to suite you??? I am a hosted member here, and whilst times can be bad, I would have no other free host (even my own machine). You must learn patience and not allow your insociable arrogance to ruin this site's very good reputation.

"Xisto, a place to play" don't get me laughing man, are you serious? When I readed this post I thought this was supposed to be in the "J0kes forum"  :blink: , this is simply to cheap for words. Maybe your credits dropped from 31 to 13 because the credits script did thought you weren't worth it to get your hosting at such a good site as Xisto.com. Go cry somewhere else man, Xisto ROCKSSS and that will never change.

If there's someone waiting a whole week for his hosting because there was something wrong, or whatever happend in that case I think we shouldn't listen to you. Opaque, no critique on you, not the slightest, but I think you're realy wasting your time. :mellow:  This guy is just to impatient for Xisto. Maybe he should try at Xisto, that's the site for that kind of n**bs, isn't it? (Sorry for flaming, but I'm quite upset about this).

-=jeroen=- (still upset)

1064325894[/snapback]

Warbird, please edit your post. M^e clearly stated that this thread is not to be flamed.

guy,

I appreciate the help on monitering the forums - :mellow:!

warbird,

I understand your upset, and I also appreciate your apologies, but we actually really like to not have a flame war, as this discussion is already a touchy one. Next time, attempt to spew your upset on something else, if you would; or, at least try to use euphimisms and otherwise so you can express your anger without flames.

Glad to help,

HTML_Guru

Let us look at other good things happening on this forum.. Lets not pull this issue further.Shoo.. Shoo...