xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kevlar557

Pentium D Vs Pentium 4

As for energy consumption and heat and all that junk, who cares. Your processor may use 80-110 watts or whatever of power, while the lamp on your desk uses 110 plus the other 200 lights in your house x 10 million houses. The pool uses over 100000000. Heat doesn't matter either as long as you have a fan. The only thing that matters is SPEED. 743422

Ok I can't help this, energy consumption is always a main issue with processor chip, the reason for this is heat creation. The problem with heat generation is heat kills, not guns. Heat will ruin a processor almost as fast as water will. The more heat created breaks down the pathways inside of the chip its self. As for the AMD platform they fixed this problem and they run cooler then the Intel chips now.

If you wan't the best processor ever, go with the Pentium 4 extreme edition. It is better and it is overclockable. 743422[/QOUTE]

I must say that is a very brash statement considering that most of the benchmark tests I've seen show that the AMD chips outperform the Intel chips.

The first AMD 64 chips were out, but frankly the cost vs. benefit for rendering was not going to be useful until software was written for the AMD64 instruction set. unimatrix

ok I have to say this....WRONG...the AMD 64 uses the old x86 instruction set so that it is fully backward compatible while offering the ablility to run 64 and 32 bit applications it does what Intel is currently incapable of, offering a bridge between the past and the future. By doing this AMD is giving us that want the added performance of a 64 bit system the ability to have a system that is Future ready and Past friendly. Please Read This if you have any disbelief in this statement I just made. Its the White Paper AMD put out regarding its 64 bit processer and its technology.

Although, I know some of the instablity was caused from the VIA chipset on the motherboard. So much so that I now stay away from AMD just because so many motherboards for AMD use VIA chipsets. The fact the system never worked quite right that drove me to buy an iBook and really abandon the PC platform all together three years ago. unimatrix

Man you might be surprised to find that yes the problem was with the VIA chipset but that was honestly a short lived issue, with that said I'm sorry to hear that you jumped outta the PC world for 3 years cause you missed alot of interesting things by doing that, yet you got to experiance how much the PPC kicked the PC all over the map for that period of time, but now the PPC and RISC system is loosing ground to the CISC system, or to put it more correctly the gap between the 2 is almost nonexistant. That might be the reason that Apple is switching to the x86 processor, which is cheaper then the PPC they have been using.

@unimatrix: do you know that nowadays, most AMD motherboards have an NForce chipset ? And indeed, there have been lots of problems with VIA chipset, why do you think there were always 2 versions of a chipset, the normal one and the "A" (KT133 vs kT133A. And normaly, an old AMD should not frie when you use a descent installed boxed heatsink. If you did not use the boxed heatsink, you have chosen the wrong one (not that I accuse you or someone else, but boxed coolers are tested well enough, even in bad conditions they should cope).

I dont know why but my computer just stops receiving data from me... and keeps making internal 'beep' sounds everytime I click during that "stop time".

If your computer hangs, that means that the cpu is busy doing something else. Just open the windows task manger (alt-contrl-del once) before this arrives, and look at the system performance icon in the taskbar. probably "services.exe" is taking a lot of cpu power. And it beeps because it refuses your keyboard input, probably because it's busy.

If your computer hangs, that means that the cpu is busy doing something else. Just open the windows task manger (alt-contrl-del once) before this arrives, and look at the system performance icon in the taskbar. probably "services.exe" is taking a lot of cpu power. And it beeps because it refuses your keyboard input, probably because it's busy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do remember another computer beeping too. It was my dad's pc (PIII 733) when it was still running WinNT4 . First, I had to wait 5 minutes before I could log in (it waited for some error message), and now and then, while working, the machine wouldn't respond, if I clicked a few times, it would say beep and lock-up completely (only a reset would help). If formatting and installing winxp, the problem was gone, some it's not always the cpu that causes problems.

@unimatrix: do you know that nowadays, most AMD motherboards have an NForce chipset ?

And indeed, there have been lots of problems with VIA chipset, why do you think there were always 2 versions of a chipset, the normal one and the "A" (KT133 vs kT133A. And normaly, an old AMD should not frie when you use a descent installed boxed heatsink. If you did not use the boxed heatsink, you have chosen the wrong one (not that I accuse you or someone else, but boxed coolers are tested well enough, even in bad conditions they should cope).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was the KT-133A set I personally had all the issues with, however every time I go looking at new motherboards and barebones kits, a majority of the ones I found have VIA chip sets. I know of the new nVidea chipsets and that would be what I use would use if I would go back to AMD.

All the boxes we had there had AMD processors with factory installed heatsinks and CPUfans. Still they had several fry under heavy use, inparticular during long rendering runs in Lightwave.

However, if I am going to purchase a PC for personal use I'll go with a Sony Vaio with a warrenty. Being in corporate IT and consulting I've learned the value of time/money.

I personally feel that tHE AMD Processors are much more faster than the Intel Processors.Also if you are more on games then the Amd processors supports graphics better than Intel.Also the Intel processors does not support Oracle dba.. Not sure about this.Intel has a monopoly and global market hold that's the reason why it is the number one in the world.

Notice from SpaceWaste:
Please keep to the topic at hand, we are comparing Intel4 and D models only.Their are already several threads on AMD.Do no post souly to keep your postcount high.~SpaceWaste

I currently have an AMD Athlon 64 3400+. While my computer does heat up more than my old one (which was an IBM Thinkpad 390E Laptop PII 333MHz etc so it's kinda normal LOL), my CPU stays fairly stable qua temperature at 50°C. The highest it has ever gotten was 57°C, but I blame that on a higher room temperature of 39°C. As far as AMD requiring a reboot more than Intel CPU's, I think that's just plain not true. I achieve uptimes of a week or more. I am forced to reboot due to windows getting all funky. In Linux I have gone over 3 months, this was on an AMD Duron 950MHz CPU.I have used both Intel CPU's and AMD. Personally I prefer AMD over anything, even if it's just for simple applications. I do use Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and Flash (something PS and DW with ImageReady together without any issues). Personally I would jump to AMD and skip the intel CPU's all together.

I have found AMD to run cooler and is a bit cheaper, however it usually does not have as large a clock speed as an intel processor. However clock speed is not crucial anymore because of dual and Quad core processors. Intel tends to have more L2 Cache which is great, however AMD has less L2 cache and is cheaper, other than that, now adays they are pretty much the same, except for AMD being a bit cooler.

AMD Vs Pentium

Pentium D Vs Pentium 4

Well we can all aruge about the performance of certail CPUs. In my knowledge Intel can be clooked vs Amd is more difficult and not as convienant.

All the times I had an AMD it over heated like cazy but my Intels never over heated. Therefore, Personally I would got with the Intel even if you are a gamer. 

-reply by AMD VS INTEL

AMD vs Intel and waste heat energyPentium D Vs Pentium 4

As far as waste heat is concerned, unless it is disabling your system due to excess levels, it is not an issue at all, none, zero, zilch. 90w @ 15% loss of wasted heat vs 100w @ 15% loss of wasted heat means nothing in levels at this range. There is no health issues at all unless it is at such a level your system bursts into flames. The amount of lost BTUs lost is irrelevant unless it is at an amount that can be re harnessed to offset the amount of which is used which, at 90w @ 15% loss will only give you 13.5w and, @ 100w gives you 15w. Again, I am totally confused why 'Waste Heat' or 'Waste Energy' @ these minute numbers are even mentioned as the are in no way relevant. 

As far as Intel vs AMD, I now have 14 fairly new and new PCs and Laptops. I'm not sure what most people are doing with their computers but, we do everything from heavy CAD and business to graphics and gaming. With the newer Intel and AMD processors that we have in our unit, and we have them all, with all the hype about the new Intel or, all the Hype about the new 64 AMDs, we have noticed BOTH companies have gotten their act together and BOTH make great processors. We have never had an issue of running our units 24-7 as long as you are able to regularly have all unnecessary files and junk removed and clean your disk regularly with a system such as the new Norton 360 or equivalent. KEEP UNEEDED FILES OFF THE DRIVE AND CLEAN IT REGULARLY. We never need to reboot unless it is required to complete a download or a removal. We have no problems with gaming online with all the latest games on either the better AMD or Intel. We have no issues working 3-d CAD or using heavy graphics on either AMD or Intel if both are equipped with video graphic cards of the same quality.

The fact of the matter is, no matter who says Intel is the superior or, who says AMD is superior, it is a matter of your own preference. I was told over and over, AMD is the premiere in gaming and Intel is the best for CAD and business. Now that I own them all, Both are more than adequate for any of our functions. We use some AMDs for CAD and business and, we have some Intels running gaming and vise-versa and, IF they have the proper video cards and the systems are configured correctly, either should work as well as the other.

Most persons that have an absolute opinion that AMD is the very best and there isn't a Intel that can match it, or that other person that swears to you they only an Intel should be used for your PC or laptop, there is a good chance they haven't owned a great deal of computers and, if they tell you,' sure I had a PC with the other processor and that's why I switched ', then they just ended up getting a AMD or an Intel that may have been a lemon or, the bigger chance is that they are not comparing apples to apples. They did not have the equivalent processor or video card or other computer applications that were equal in both units. Maybe they had a lower class AMD processor compared to a higher end Intel or verse-visa. The newer upper end Intel as well as the newer upper end AMD BOTH are great processors and all those that talk about 'who's processor is the end all of all processors' most likely has never owned a great deal of equivalent PCs at the same time to make a fully accurate statement.

Trust your gut and don't skimp on a cheaper processor and then MAKE SURE ALL parts and pieces are fully compatible and, make sure you get the proper RAM and video card for the application you intend to use it for. This way you won't go wrong (aside of the occasional defective unit). Avoid trying to figure out who is best, it is far more of an issue of setting the system set up in the most advantageous way to gain the maximum performance from all those parts working in unison. Hopefully this makes sense to you and, I wish you the best in your endeavours.

-reply by Erik McMillan