xisto Community
volrathxiii

The Best Database What do you think is the best database?

I think that Microsoft Access has a much better graphical user interface than any MySQL application will ever have. And IF you use ASP or ASP.NET on your server, you can easily use your MS Access Databases in your websites. GreetingZ

I'd have to agree with all the folks saying MySQL .. it just meshes so well with PHP, almost like they were made with each other in mind. Although, where I work everything is in MS Access, which I have found quite easy to learn and manage. I just think for freeform Web Design PHP+MySQL is awesome.

I have used Oracle 8i, MySQL, mSQL, Access, PostgreSQL, and flat-file databases in my day. Unless your database is going to scale into the Terrabyte range, forget Oracle exists. Two most focused here are mySQL and PostgreSQL. The thing that a lot of people forget is you first have to decide what your going to do and then pick the best database for the job. MySQL was designed from the outset for fast SELECT command. For a majority of websites, 90%+ of all queries to the database will be SELECT. MySQL makes a very good choice for this arena especially along with PHP, PERL, or Python. However, if your database, lets say for an online text-based RPG, is going to use a lot of insert, update, delete queries, MySQL's performance degrades quickly. I've also had a lot of issues of data corruption on heavily used databases with MySQL and the Promisance game engine under heavy load. If you are going to have a lot of insert, update, delete queries and repeat processes, or looking for better data protection or using it on a smaller scale, say for a small office with 100 employees, PostgreSQL really shines. I was in the process of porting Promisance to the PostgreSQL database system when other things came up and I abandoned the project. PostgreSQL's speed is not the issue it once was as is MySQL's features list now supporting triggers and transactions in version 5.0+, however a lot of services/ISP's still are using MySQL 4.x.I use MySQL now because that is the package supported by Mambo Openserver. If I had my choice, it would probably be PgSQL,

Im a fan of MySQL - ive also used MicrosoftSQL server - and have had the misfortune to recently have to work with a technology called Foxpro - not sure if anyone else has used it - but it is not as friendly as the others ive mentioned - Id not even heard of it untill I started my latest job - the company is trying to move away from it but untill then Im stuck with it im afraid. Trying to use the more popular DBs with PHP and .NET etc is a dream but trying to get anything into and out of Foxpro is an ordeal - (IMHO)

Dan

MySQL hands down i have used other db's but none that i have used perform as well for me with my php pages.The security is great have nvr had anyone hack it.I use cocca mysql to admin my DB's great program i guess alltogether MYSQL is the best in my eyes OPENSOURCE all the way

hi,i work just in smaller projects with MySQL ... e.g. if we just want to organize forum-threads. If we create complex Data-Structures or want to store Images direct in the Database we sooner use a powerful DB like PostgreSQL.

Ive been planning to create a online application which requires tons of stuff from database.

Ive been using interbase, at first it was good but after a month i find it not user friendly at all... Its to hard to code in php..

Can any of you guys give me a good database which is easy to use?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ive heard most use MySQL, but i havent touched on database things yet so i dunno from my point of view.

Hi folkes,I really agree that MySQL is the most easy to use and handle, I've only great expirence with it.But sometimes do you need to make repports from your database, and sometimes would you like to use MS Office to work with these repports. But I've been searching for a while now to find surch of tools, but I'm still searching.Do any have some hits about an easy freeware to convert 2 way from an MySql database to an MS Office application and back again.I think that it would be very useful for many hopeless MS Office users.Look foreward to hear some respond,Cheers!Jens

what is the best database? it really depends on your needs I think, you can not say that one is the best, because in different circunstances it may not be the right onemysql is the most popular because is the easiest one, but for a big amount of data and a lot of complexity maybe you'll have to go other way, maybe oracle, maybe postgre, maybe sql serverIf you're developing for .NET or microsoft related software, it's much better to use SQL Server, the reason is obvious I think, always try to use software from the same brands, if you took the wrong way B) and started using .NET, you better go all the way down t o SQL ServerBut if just you want to make a small website, MySQL is the right way, for development I think it's the fastest solution

my opinion is the same as always, mySQL is widely supported, free and easy to use, but lacks features; pgSQL has more features than mySQL but it's sluggish ...

what means that the best SQL server, with no doubt is the powerful ORACLE. Or do you think people waste thousands of dollars in Oracle for nothing?

I agree. MySQL isn't very well suited to a production environment like its commercial counterparts, and if you're looking for an easy quick and dirty database, look at SQLite. It's considerably faster than MySQL.
Edited by Trevor (see edit history)

Ive been planning to create a online application which requires tons of stuff from database.
Ive been using interbase, at first it was good but after a month i find it not user friendly at all... Its to hard to code in php..

Can any of you guys give me a good database which is easy to use?

MySQL is definitely the best choice for use injuction with PHP. There are already so many website mangagement tools developed for MySQL/PHP. The resources are out there if you want to learn how to code for this database on your own.

MySQL is the largest open-source database solution out there. It has a very large community of users that constantly look for security holes and flaws, and they will actively release updates when needed. I really haven't heard much about interbase, but I assume they are also open-source. However the community cannot be as large as MySQL's.

So if you are looking for a database that has a huge user base with plenty of resources and already developed software tools to manage a website, then definitely go with MySQL.

For websites, MySQL is ideal. For some other applications, say an accounting system for a business, I'd go with PostgreSQL because of some of it's more advanced features. Plus there are a lot of tutorials for PHP/MySQL. It's become the defacto standard for such applications.

Yup, I agree also that mySQL is very good, solid, stable and feature filled. It is also quite easy to use with PHP and there are literally hundreds if not thousands of tutorials on the web to help you from getting started to more complex and advanced things.I have heard SQLite is very good also (supposedly much quicker with general queries), but I haven't heard of it being used in conjunction with PHP or similar. I have seen it's use in desktop/web software though and looks like it is pretty good (and free I believe).