xisto Community
bigd1

What Language Is Best For Game Programming? I need some help

I think games made with C# and with lets say DirectX is quite slow, so those games aren't very big and cool as lets say the ones made with C++There are some engines written with C# + DirectX and I think it woul be possible to use OpenGL too ;) which you could use to create games, but I doubt XBox games are made with C# ???

Edited by Quatrux (see edit history)

Well Xbox games can be made in C/C++ and C# as well. There are some game SDK which are only available in respective languages so there are chances of having C++ and C games running on xbox.

C++ is the programming language that most modern games are coded in. It is one of the most powerful programming languages right now. C# can be used to program Zune apps, X-Box games, and window games. The XNA framework allows X-box 360 games to be coded in C#. It also simplifies developing games just a bit.

Xbox games made by indie and hobbyist developers are normally made in c#, but when you get a large dev team with a fat wallet working on a new AAA title for Xbox, they will use C++. They buy a license from microsoft that allows them to use the native Xbox libraries. I'm not sure but they likely have documentation as well. Also, assembly optimization is probably used.  

-reply by t7ancients

Try Game Maker as suggested above but if you want to go really easy try Dark BasicIt is a version of Basic which is well "Basic"

-reply by Bigger B

Dark basic is not worth the trouble if you're new to programming and there are lot of hurdles on the way. I suggest buying game maker or garage games scripts and tools if you're serious about game development. though there are very less tools which are affordable maybe game maker and similar 2D tools are enough at the start of game development. but definitely not dark basic if you want to keep head and concept simple.

My comments.What Language Is Best For Game Programming?

Game maker is fun for a few months, then you get bored and notice annoying restrictions.  C ++ is the professional language, but learning it takes many, many hours staring at source code or reading giant textbooks.  A problem I had with languages such as Java and C++ is there are no decent tutorials online that fully cover the language.  I would recommend starting small and getting gradually better.  Start with Game Maker, then move on to Game Studio, then maybe Visual Basic, XNA (C# extension), Java, and finally, C++.

-reply by Makuto

Java & C++What Language Is Best For Game Programming?

Java and C++ are both great languages to use but C++ is the more professional, so if you are serious about creating games then they are the best two to learn, but you need to start small and work you way up to them, use easier languages first, then start to learn them, learning a basic programming language really helps you undersstand new ones alot easier.I personally use C++ because java can have some proformance issues, such as if there is a java update, in the past it has made my game unplayable and I had to edit alot of code to get it working again.

-reply by GreenGiant