xisto Community
bigd1

What Language Is Best For Game Programming? I need some help

game programming languagesWhat Language Is Best For Game Programming?

I am a python programmer, going for about 2 years. I am only 12 years old, and I have a mac, and will not go to windows. I can game program with python, I think it is very good, also learning c++ and can make a small uninteresting 3d game with c++. Mostly, I am going to go to college, and get my game programming degree.

-reply by pythonlover

Hello, I'm newbie at programming language

I can't give any solution which language are good to make a game. But, right now I want to make a game using VB.NET it's like card game. But I didn't know how to start. Maybe some of the expert give me some opinion using VB.Net to create a card game like DOMINO.

-reply by arya kusuma

Another alternative...What Language Is Best For Game Programming?

I am a professional game software engineer at Microsoft Studios,CA - and for a biginner who is new to software develeopment with an edge on games I would learn "ActionScript  3" which comes withe Adobe's Flash Cs3/Cs4 package.

Its quite simple and allows the client to draw out lets say a sprite onto the stage and edit its properties ect

Ie to get a sprite identified as "Box" to move right a certain amount of pixels everytime the frame changes just use:

addEventListener(Event.ENTER_FRAME,moveBox);

function moveBox:void

{

Box.X += 15;

}

ie the x property of the box moves 15 pixels per frame.

Flash is strong because it is

• Portable across multiple Operating systems (with the plugin of course)

•  Visually easy to program than lets say C++

• Large community and tutorials online aimed at what you want to achieve

• Supports OOP

• Uses C/Java style Syntax (good for adapting through languages)

Some weak points:

• Mostly high performance how ever  as its a managed code and streamed into the flash Shockwave player, can be bottlenecked and cause lots of processing power

• Support for fully 3d enviroments is small

• Does not support shading and other high level graphical assets

Good luck :)

-reply by buzzwright

I would recommend plain C:

- similar to C++ but without the difficulty of having to get your head around object oriented programming

- works well  with GLUT for graphics

- simple and highly supported

-reply by *$(%@)()$(@*%*

Java is #1 regardlessWhat Language Is Best For Game Programming?

I have examined the question through hours of thinking and have comeTo the conclusion that Java is your best bet in both the short term& long term.  

Languages like visual basic, game maker, darkbasic, BlitzMax,Flash etc all fall short one way or another.  The biggest downfall forAll of these except flash is that there are few books about them, andSo there is little for the amateur/newbie to work with - and believeYou me - when you are game programming you need as much as you can getTo work with & the information needs to be organised like in aBook, unlike disorganised forums that I feel that most of the owners ofThose language have. I can almost garantee that all theTools(knowledge) that you will need to make the games you want, willNot be found in 1 book, so a language that has few books isCounterproductive to our endeavors.  Java does much better; there areMany more game programming books in Java; dozens.  C & C++ haveHundreds.  

C & C++ also falls short in that programming in general is more difficult then Java, but more importantly the functions to make games in those language is many folds more complicated than those in JavaThink about all those 1000+ books that you see on Amazon about Direct XGame programming for instance; that's C++ associated.  Java is muchSimpler in comparison, but not in general. Game programmingItself is a lot more difficult then making programs, so to want to makeGames easily is like trying to escape from a charging Moose by runningAt it.  As for flash, no offence, but flash really is poor inPerformance so much so that you should consider JAVA & C++ atEquivalent speed when next to flash. 

By learning a"complete" programming language you'll be ableTo make not just games, but programs as well, and since the language isComplete; it means you can fully make the games to your liking &You won't be physically limited by the language.

JavaWill run on any platform, I don't just mean Oses like linux & mac,I mean phones, dvd players etc.  So your games can be played on theMost platforms possible.  The compilers are FREE.  Java nowdays is veryClose in speed to C++; it isnt far behind especially when it comes toGames. Employment for Java is very high. 

-reply by eric

Game programming LanguagesWhat Language Is Best For Game Programming?

I believe Java to be the best programming language at the moment for the point that it is universally accepted and is easy to learn. Anyone who is interested in taking a Java Programming class that is offered by Sun microsystems, please email me and I will get you in, it is absolutely free and if you participate in the class fully you get certified as a Java programmer which is neat. The course is offered by a man named Sang Shin and is an exceptional course for anyone who wants to learn Java. My email is marcos.Osse@gmail.Com

Marcos Osse

I would have to agree with learning Actionscript 3.0 first, and then progressing to other languages as you grow confidence.

Actionscript 3 is an Object Orientated Programming language, like Java and C++ so you will learn many programming techniques that you can later apply when you learn Java and C++.

I am studying Computer Science in Games Technology at Uni, and I started out programming using Actionscript and found it extremely useful to learn the basics of programming. It helped me greatly to learn Java and C++ at University. You can quickly create games with Actionscript, get a feel for game design and programming, and Actionscript 3.0 is similar in syntax to java in some ways.

Flash programming can also be useful for prototyping a game before investing your time developing it in Java or C++.

The majority of games today are developed in C++, so I would highly recommend learning it when you are ready.

Microsoft have a free express edition of XNA Games Studio where you can create games for the XBOX 360 using the programming language C# - which is similar in syntax to java. It also offers tutorials and support to help you learn.

My best advice is to get your feet wet, start small and move up. Experiment, and have fun! Don't try and create a 3D first person shooter straight away, learn the basics and enjoy the process!

game development in C#

What Language Is Best For Game Programming?

<p>I'm hoping to develop a simple computer game for kids. Would C# be a good choice</p>

<p>best language for game development</p>

LOL way to necro a year old thread, However, strong words like "BEST" are not the way to decide on what programming language is suitable for the task your working on. Programming languages are tools, and like other tools, some are better for a job than others, sure you could fix your car with a tomahawk and adjustable wrench, but it is much more efficient to use the correct sized spanners to undo nuts and bolts. Making software is exactly the same as fixing your car, firstly you need to define your problem and then find the best tool for the job. All programming languages can be used to make games, but depending on the type of game and how much experience you have as a programmer, one tool may be more efficient than another.

I have used C, C++, Lua and Ruby in games programming, mostly i use C, not because it is the most suitable for the game i am programming, but because someone else had written a networking subsystem that i could use, and i do not have enough of understanding of network communications to write my own from scratch.

So define your problem and then look for the best tool for the job, because learning a new language is not all that difficult if you can program all ready and can understand basic programming concepts.

different tool for differnt part of the game developmentWhat Language Is Best For Game Programming?

I developed a game on Macintosh in 1993 and I used Hyper Card for the prototyping. That was for GUI. I used a CASE tool to design the world engine that generated a pseudo code almost like C and pascal. Then I used C for animation engine from scratch. I eventually used assembler language to improve the animation performance. When we upgraded to a new version, we switched to C++ to provide better GUI. I started with Think C then switch to CodeWarrior. 

Then I needed to port the game to Windows platform, we had so many trouble to choose the tools, because there weren't many choice in Windows world 1995.

You have to find the best tool for each part of the developing. If someone told you "this is the best for everything", most of the time, it is not true.

-reply by tetz_o

VB is decentWhat Language Is Best For Game Programming?

VB was my first language.  It is very easy to learn and fairly easy to create graphical interfaces.  C/C++/Java are a bit more difficult {}, but much more powerful and sometimes faster.  Python is a very powerful language that is in a different format than the others.  If you're looking into making 3D games, look into an engine like Irrilicht, CrystalSpace, and Panda3D.  

-reply by Squirrel

Not even close... the best gaming language is DARK BASICWhat Language Is Best For Game Programming?

Dark BASIC lets you do everything quick and easy.  Games that would take 100,000 lines of Java would be faster and 1/20th the size.   

which is easy and powerfulWhat Language Is Best For Game Programming?

Whether c++ or visual c++ is best ? for  powerful and easy programming of desktop games

if not the both suggest which I should learn

which is easy and powerfulWhat Language Is Best For Game Programming?

Whether c++ or visual c++ is best language for desktop game programming , it should be easy and powerful, if not the both suggest that matches this ..