xisto Community
bigd1

What Language Is Best For Game Programming? I need some help

I started out game programming by programming simple applets with java. Java was not very difficult to learn and it's easier than C or C++. I used jGrasp to write and compile my java programs. You can download jGrasp here. Happy game programming.

I would suggest giving Java a try.  It is very similar to C++ as far as syntax and what you can go with the language goes.  However, I think it is a little bit easier for beginners to learn.  If Java is still to much for you at first, then try either some form of basic or a language like what warbird suggested.  They should be even easier to learn.  I like Java (and C++) because of all the power and freedom you have.  If you have enough expierence you can do pretty much anything you want.  Unfortunately, all that power and freedom does make them kind of hard to learn.

My best piece of advice for you is to not give up.  Regardless of what language you chose it is going to take some time before you become good with it.  And it will even longer before you master the art of making games.  But if stick with it and don't give up then I think you will eventually succeed regardless of what language you chose.

1064309016[/snapback]

Yeah, Java is pretty good with programming games. Be warned, Java can be a pain...because it requires a lot of actual code, but once you get the hang of it, its more or less a breeze.

So im the only one is going to recomend C/C++ ???C/C++, Multi-Purpose, Fast, supports in-line assembly (for eliminating performance bottlenecks), hightly optimisable.

I would say GML. It's fairly simple and designed with games in mind. Plus, the Game Maker is a fairly good program. I use it, and I''ve made some decent games. That's why i need a site. So ya, go GML!

It's definatley GML, let us go over some of the many uses of GML...

-Online programming (mplay) that can be used to make program updaters, online multiplayer games, chat programs, or even browsers with the right initiative and a .dll or two...

-3D drawing functions (d3d) draw your 2d game into a 3d world, or make 3d models or 3d modeling programs.

-ini functions (.ini) write, open, and/or read .ini files to store variables in them and then read them later for dynamic saving systems.

-instance activation/deactivation for making games run faster and smoother, or making an enemy stay still until you near them...

-Much, much more, so much that everyone reading this who uses Game Maker would have at least one thing to add to it. :mellow:

ok I am trying to get into programming and then into games. So i was wondering if anyone knows a good language except c++. I have started to learn it but the problem is its not user friendly for a first time programmer. So I would appreciate it if you can maybe name some languages and there weak points and strong points i would aprreciate it.

1064308924[/snapback]

You can use any programming language. The soul of game is not the language but the graphical engine. You should have a look at DirectX and OpenGL (2 popular graphic library). If may take a while to learn, so make the right choice or you'll waste your time.

I've always believed that Visual Basic was more of an .. "application" coding language. Database management stuff, office programs, etc. I suppose those if you wanna code a game with it, go ahead. But if you're gonna be a "serious" programmer C++ is the way to go. You'll probably find that it's syntax is similar to many, many other languages. And, if you master C++ you'll have a firm grip on the "language" of programming. Variables, objects, functions, etc. You'll probably be able to move pretty easily from C++ to any other language. It'd just be a matter of days to get a grip on which words in the new language mean the same as in C. Whatever path you take, good luck!

The bigd1 guy asked for a language that is a newbie friendly, so i recommend GML. It is easy to learn, and there are many tutorials out there.

I would also suggest 3DRAD. 3DRad is a 3D game development program. Like GameMaker for 2D. It is easy to use and fun also.

But!
If you want to be a serious game programmer you should use some harder to learn and more powerfull language. Like Pascal for example. Many people say that pascal is death language, but Delphi and FreePascal don`t think so. It makes sence why many schools teach pascal in programming classes.

Another But!
If you want an optimised game running on most PC`s, you should use C/C++. Why? It is fast! It is the fastest language. All the good games in the shops are written in C++.

Of course there are many more programming languages like Java, Basic and so on, I just recommend GML, 3DRAD, Pascal and especially C++.

Visual basic is equally fast on Windows machine as C++. Read the book called Advanced Visual Basic (available free on net) and it gets u an insight into probably the most powerful/easy windows programming language ever. It beats C++ in performance at times, and ofcourse, cuts teh development time into nearly half.But ofcourse there are other better languages too... and C++, undoubt fully rules the lot in power and flexiblity, and ofcourse portability.

Visuall basic is ran off of C++... It's a more simple version of C++ that is. I use C++, VB, GM, And I am having alot of fun with that 3DRAD that stylius posted about :D ty.

I am a 3d animator 1st, game programer about 51st, but I downloaded Game Maker and it seems like a great application and pretty cheap too to create simple and complex games for non-coders. Which could be a blessing if you have some technical skills, but are a better storyteller or creative type that doesn't need 5 years of C++ classes not to mention how to write a graphics shader from scratch. I typically use Python with Blender 3D because I'm familar with Blender 3d and the game engine is intergrated. But the only time I use the game engine is to conduct rigid body simulations (we do car wreck animations for greedy trail lawyers...yeah, yeah, scum of the earth, but they pay upwards of $5000 per job). The nice thing about Blender is that it is cross-plaform compatible. SO if you code on a windows machine, it will work in OSX, Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, or anyother platform supported by Blender3d. Which is kinda cool. The basic functions are somewhat limiting, but if you learn Python (which isn't as bad as say any version of C) you can do some really powerful stuff and customize just about everything.Again Blender is designed to create 3D FPS and even RTS games and has a hefty learning curve if you want to learn how to model, texture, and animate. These days developement of Blender is more towards competiting with application like 3D Studio Max, Lightwave 3D, and Maya not as a game creation utility like it was originally designed for, but the game engine is still alive.

I use VB a lot and it's extremely easy to use... but really the best language is C++ with asm routines.. every game toolkit is basically based in C++ too.. but if u don't care about speed of your program and if it's okay to run 40 times slower use something else :o

it IS dead

What Language Is Best For Game Programming?

Replying to stylius Pascal IS a death language. It's incomplete, and is taught because it's simple. I remember the pascal version taught at my college didn't support numbers larger than 65535 no matter the data type..

Actually come to think about it, that was free pascal that had the issue with me. The one taught in class was Turbo pascal (I wasn't paying for their compiler...)

As far as easy languages, my friend tends to use Dark Basic Pro. He's not really the best programmer out there either.. So the fact that he learned it has to mean something..

-reply by NovaHorizon

I think it's C++.I try many open source graphic engine and most of them are only written in C++. There are many advantages when you program with C++ language, C++ has an excellent memory managament system, which is very important in game programming.Hope this helps!

game development in C#What Language Is Best For Game Programming?

I'm hoping to develop a simple computer game for kids. Would C# be a good choice

best language for game development